The Difference Between An Agreeable & A Difficult Client From A Professional Hunter Perspective...

Discussion in 'Articles' started by IvW, Sep 1, 2019.

1. IvW

IvW AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BASA, CHASA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
    On Cape Buffalo I only use expanding bullets for backup, Rhinos to be specific, 570 gr. Most of the time even after shattering the neck vertebrae which causes instantaneous death, the bullet is found under the skin on the opposite side from where the shot entered. I had the exact same shot on a large bull on a different hunt and the result was the same, bullet under skin on the opposite side.

Many moons ago, as mentioned sometimes what happens in the bush stays in the bush....:D

Philip Glass, gesch, Fastrig and 10 others like this.

2. lil 2 sleepy

lil 2 sleepy AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa,Argentina, ON Canada, USA- AK,AR,GA,IL,KS,MO,MS,NC,OK,SC,VA,WY
    This was a fantastic account of the hunt. A+. Thank you for posting this. I enjoyed it very much.

I know you can’t lay out Mr X’s Name, but I would love to know who the TV hero really is. Would be worth a few giggles.

buckcurtin, IvW and sgt_zim like this.

3. IdaRam

IdaRam SILVER SUPPORTER AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, NAHC Life Member, SCI, DSC, Wild Sheep Foundation, NSSF
    Hunted:
    Idaho, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, California, Alberta Canada, South Africa, Zimbabwe
    Thank you for sharing one of your life experiences with us @IvW . I enjoyed it very much. You are quite a good writer, you really should do more of it! ;) I’m sure you have plenty of interesting stories to tell.

Velo Dog, JSD, MAdcox and 4 others like this.

4. Chukar

Chukar SILVER SUPPORTER AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, Namibia
    Agreed!

IvW likes this.

5. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
    Glad you saved your friend.
    That was the real trophy in that fiasco.

IvW and meigsbucks like this.

6. Graham Hunter

Graham Hunter AH Fanatic

Hunted:
    Alaska Canada US New Zealand Scotland South Africa Zimbabwe
    Would this be the same TV Host who dry fires at a wounded Buff when his gun is empty and also chases after another wounded
    Buff then short strokes his gun?

7. LivingTheDream

LivingTheDream AH Legend

Video/Photo:

8. One Day...

One Day... AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    PHASA
    Hunted:
    Europe, America, Canada, Africa
    Do you mean, like this one Graham Hunter and LivingTheDream?

Magnum TV S4:E3- Cape Buffalo Showdown

The hunt starts at 13:00 minutes ... and culminates after 17:00 minutes...

A very patient buff, and obedient too, he even stays when the hunter says "no" (don't leave).

There are also some interesting bits at 2:56 about asking what the PH wants his client to shoot; at 3:20 "I have had a lot of experience and shot a lot of buffalo" and at 14:50 when he reloads. The rifle appears to be a Win 70, so if he started with 3+1, fired 2 (maybe more the footage does not show), reloaded 3+1, reloaded 1, it looks like it took at least 7 shots to drop the buff.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019

9. Adam S

Adam S AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA (OH, WV, CO)
    After reading your story, I have come to three conclusions.
    1) You are a fantastic writer with the ability to make your reader feel like they are right there with you. It is not often that I read something on the internet that I absolutely can't wait to read the rest of. You sir, are talented.
    2) It is frightening how "celebrity" hunters can act.
    3) If/when I am fortunate to enjoy my first safari, I hope I have a PH like you.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2019
    Philip Glass, JSD, Fastrig and 10 others like this.

10. LivingTheDream

LivingTheDream AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    @IvW great story, thank you for sharing. I hope you write a book someday as I'm sure you have other stories.

GuttormG and IvW like this.

11. LivingTheDream

LivingTheDream AH Legend

Video/Photo:

12. Brent in Az

Brent in Az AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA - Az, NM, CO, MT, MN.
    Episode #4.....Mr. X, gets streamrolled by a Buffalo.....

It's a shame that you hard working PH's, have to deal with hunters like Mr. X. He's probably the type of guy who doesn't tip well, either.

Rob404 and IvW like this.

13. sestoppelman

sestoppelman AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
    Great story! What a hoot!

IvW likes this.

14. sestoppelman

sestoppelman AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, NA Hunt Club
    Hunted:
    Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
    You would think that a left handed guy who can afford to go on all these hunt trips would be able to afford a left handed bolt gun!o_O:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:

15. Areaonereal

Areaonereal AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    I have hunted Africa six times in as many years and will go again in 2020. These TV 30 minute hunts are disgusting,,with the high five and deep breathing and well dones by the the PH ...give me a break....do not celebrate like some NFL bozo that just scored a 3 yard TD. Give some reverence for what you have just done. Those TV hunters, celebrities, could not not carry many of our Lunch buckets. Is it their dream hunt, do they pay for it after saving for years, and remember every shot...hell no, most are comped for the advertising, give me a break. I just love the bow hunters that stick them too far back and the lose the elk or deer in deep timber so the cameraman gets the best shot, and adds some suspense to the hunt.

16. Beretta391

Beretta391 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Dsc,nsca
    Hunted:
    Namibia, USA , Argentina
    Great story telling!! My wife and I loved it!!

Hunting Hitman and IvW like this.

17. fourfive8

fourfive8 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
    Yes, great story there IvW thanks.
    I usually won’t watch anything that has a label like “Team Yadayada Whatever” but did watch that because of this thread. Holy cr!&)@p!
    No practice loading under stress, fumbling trying to find extra ammo, loading cross handed and left handed while fumbling with action, dry firing and flinching with a 375, turning the power down on the scope mid scramble and so on! All with the reversed ball cap- eh!

ve7poi likes this.

18. K-man

K-man AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Spain, Alaska, RSA, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, British Columbia, Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming
    Thanks for telling the story! There is a reason the P in P.H. is capitalized... It means Professional! I am glad you are not revealing the client's name, even though I would enjoy knowing. Every P.H. I have known is the same, telling the story and educating us along the way but Professional enough to keep the identity. Thanks!

19. Mr. Zorg

Mr. Zorg AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Thank you for posting this tale of adventure and misadventure @IvW.

I'm inspired to follow through your content here for similar prior postings, especially during times it's difficult for me to be restful. These type truths are more intetesting (and therefore more beneficially distracting) for me than fiction.

I strongly suspect both clients reside in the same country I do. Over the course of our globe-trotting scuba vacations, my wife and I have seen our share of both the Mr. X behavioral style as well as your assigned client's behavior. When we were in Bora Bora, there were two American nuevo-Rich couples in their late 20's that were so obnoxious we spoke in false UK accents to not be associated with them. We evolved to do the majority of our scuba diving where we could go as an independant buddy team from shore entrances, Curacao's West Side being our most frequent destination, eschewing the boat divrs and groups. We had our experiences with Mr. X personality divemasters on boats as well, and that wasn't really concentrated in prior residence location during their formative years. Invariably my wife and I, pretty quiet types, held greater scuba training and experience levels (we're certified for 50 meters max depth, up to 3 gas cylinders with up to 3 gas compositions, everything short of reducing oxygen content below 21% and adding helium to a breathing gas mix); in Truk Lagoon, we got a little past 50m depth on the San Francisco Maru dive. We aspired to dive Bikini Atoll, but the land based operation there cratered about 6 months before we considered ourselves ready for that trip where every dive has a mandatory fecompression obligation instead of an advised safety stop, with decompression gas surface supplied by the dive boat on regulators with long hoses and hang bars at 30 feet, 20 feet, and 10 feet. This really freed up divers to only have to carry two large typically back mounted gas cylinders.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    Punyi, DavidC, Fastrig and 2 others like this.

20. meigsbucks

meigsbucks AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe and Namibia
    Thank you for sharing this great story. I’m glad your PH friend came through unscathed.
    He “deserved” kudu #1. The buff cow... was a nice hit to his wallet.
    Even after this hunt, I’m sure he is the same “maven”.

Royal27, Sitting Bull_Chris and IvW like this.