The Countdown Begins

Good luck
Lots of pictures (SD card for PH's game camera )
Pass the rifle off to the Future misses (if the PH allows )
Play safe !
Glen

"Take less cloths and pack lighter."

That advice is hard to follow if hunting in winter, when the mornings and nights are said to be cold. Then it's supposed to warm up in the day, so you peel off the layers. Sounds like Alaska in summer.

Some great advice guys. It seems so far away, yet feels like there is so much to plan and do in a short time.

Some great advice guys. It seems so far away, yet feels like there is so much to plan and do in a short time.
Hey It's going to be time to get on the plane before you know it! Enjoy the prep time, forget to account for the practice ammo and range time, you'll be happier not really knowing the total cost;)

Hey It's going to be time to get on the plane before you know it! Enjoy the prep time, forget to account for the practice ammo and range time, you'll be happier not really knowing the total cost;)

Thanks Bob. I'm fortunate enough to have range space at home which eliminates travel time and cost to shoot. I reload and shoot quite a bit anyway. I consider that a normal monthly expense! I loaded a few rounds for the new 8mm last night. Hope to get some time with it tomorrow to see how it does.

You made a great choice picking pieter and paw print. I am thinking of a cow buff for my son when we go in aug this year. You will have a blast hunting with pieter and get the must bang for your buck as you can also.

With going in nov you will be dealing with some heat so I would say take what africa gives you with plains game. Have your list but be opened to animals down your list just in case.

You can email me if you need any help with any thing but ask pieter anything you may not be sure of. He knows his stuff and will make sure you have a list of what you need. Have fun take plenty of pictures and enjoy yourself .

Thanks @billc I'm sure I'll have tons of questions for Pieter and anyone else that can chime in! I know the timing isn't ideal, but it works best with my work schedule. I'll definitely keep an open mind on game choices, with buffalo as the priority.

Just enjoy every minute as you dont know if you will ever get back to do it again !!!
Life throws some funny curve balls at us .
Cheers Dory .

We are one step closer. Plane tickets were booked yesterday. Only 320 days until takeoff. (Not that I'm counting!)

i sure wish I was going to hunt buffalo in 10 months!

Good luck dealing with the wait!

Celebration!

We are down to 7 months. 224 days actually, but I'm not counting! The time seems to both dragging and going by to quickly. We have a few more things checked off. I stopped by the CBP office and got the 4457s taken care of. I've been in touch with Henry at rifle permits. I'm hoping to get all of the needed notarized copies this week and get them on the way to him. The letter of invitation is in hand. That wraps up most of the administrative loose ends. We may need to pick up a couple of minor pieces of clothing but we're pretty much set to go.

I prepped 80 pieces of new brass for the 8mm magnum today. I've got my load developed and am getting much better shooting off of the sticks. I'll be using Norma factory ammo in the 416. I spent a little time with the .22 and the sticks today as well. I've found that the rimfire is a great way to get some extra trigger time in during the week. I can't wait to land in camp!

best of luck,this trip will prepare you for the next few.

Go ahead and start planning trip number two

Great advice from everyone .
5 days hunting is not very long in Africa, it will fly by. especially if you are jet lag. I would add at least another 5 days of hunting.
In November it is going to get hot quick, don't mess around getting your animals back to the skinning shed ,and in the salt, you don't want hair slippage .
Have a blast , and welcome to the addiction. Forrest

Well you will certainly be amazed and just how quickly the calendar accelerates when you're getting ready. You have a wealth of good guys here to share what they've learned to help you along the way.

In the mean time come up with a laod you are comfortable with and can shoot well and I'd suggest if you have the ability to do so set up some targets such that you can stalk them, work yourself up to a decent shot lie, then getting on the sticks to find out just how far you feel you can shoot accurately enough off of them to feel comfortable taking the shot.

If you aren't used to sticks it does definitely take some practice. One thing I found worked very well for me was to set them up where I could also lean on a tree for even better stability if possible or have someone lean their shoulder into mine for the additional stability.

As much as I hate to admit it but due to the many surgeries I've had on my left arm and shoulder I simply cannot shoot well free hand anymore so if I can't get prone I know I need to get all the help I can steadying up. Sometimes I just don't know where that arm is going when I send it out for a job HA!

5 days hunting is not very long in Africa, it will fly by. especially if you are jet lag. I would add at least another 5 days of hunting.
In November it is going to get hot quick, don't mess around getting your animals back to the skinning shed ,and in the salt, you don't want hair slippage .
Very good advice here. On a five day hunt if you are trying to get everything in possible you won't have time to slow down long enough to remember what a great time you had.

One extra day on each end really is best so you can go throgh, check gear, figure out what's going to be needed for the first days hunt ect, plus of course on the tail end of the trip washing clothes, cleaning up gear, finalizing discussions of how trophy's will be handled and the cost so that when you do leave it's all taken care of and you don't have to worry about anything all the way home other than trying to get some sleep. That being said 10-15 days for me seems to be the very best and we'll be getting in some bird hunting as well and maybe even another week just for the birds and dogs.

We have 6 days in camp. I know it won't be enough, but it was the best we could do coordinating our work schedules.

I've got one more step down. All paperwork was sent off to Henry at riflepermits.com. He said that everything looks to be in order and he'll get it submitted for approval as soon as possible. 200 days until wheels up!

We are down to 60 days! I think I'm ready. I just need to load some more ammo for the 8mm. I had 60 rounds that I carefully loaded for the trip but I ran out of practice rounds and shot half of them up. I guess there are worse problems. I'll hit the bench this weekend and that should take care of final preparations. Well, we need to do a trial pack of the suitcases. I'm not concerned about mine, but the Mrs. is a chronic over packer. I'm sure we will be paring things down a time or two!

Yep start packing and unpacking! That's part of the fun!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScottyB2157

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!