The Cartridge .458 Lott or .450 Watts and .450 Ackley Magnum

Hi this is mad Hunter I bought that gun and would anyone be able to give me any load data for it any would be helpful
It said it is a 458 ackley improved the case is 71 mm but I don't know if it's a 458 Lott air or 450 ackley mag

I agree with Red Leg. If the argument is "good compromise between killing power, usability and availability of rifles and components. Its is a perfect cartridge for hunting all species in Africa from elephant to plains game as small as duiker," I will say from experience (I own .375 H&H, 416 Rigby, .458 Lott) that the .458 Lott recoil exceeds what most shooters are comfortable shooting casually, day in, day out, on a mixed bag hunt.

A 9 lbs .375 H&H rifle launching a 300 gr bullet at 2,530 fps produces 37 ft/lbs or recoil at 16 fps. A 10 lbs .458 Lott launching at 500 gr bullet at 2,300 fps produces 70 ft/lbs or recoil at 21 fps. Recoil is a less (55 ft/lbs) with a 400 gr bullet - it is lighter but it flies faster, the two factors influence recoil in opposite ways - but both sectional density and ballistic coefficients drop significantly.

With twice the recoil of a .375 H&H, all but the most experienced shooters will be much better served by a .375 H&H than by a .458 Lott on a mixed bag hunt.
I agree with this and I shoot both. I backed off the hot Lotts for practice. Yes the .375 is much more flexible than any of the headline calibers in this thread, but that is not the point. The point is pick one of the .458's. I picked the Lott because of the .458WM backup plan. With this option available I think it's unadvisable to step away from it in any direction other than toward the .375 H&H or .470 NE. I'm a cautious guy that carries more ammunition than he'll need and is always looking for options.

I’m a huge fan of the Lott. The difference in effect on a buff vs my .375 is dramatic. The rifle is the same weight as my .375 and I find the recoil quite manageable.
I have no experience with the Lott outside of a Ruger No. 1. It's a slight difference between the two in a hot 300 grain .375 and a 500 grain Lott. They're both abrupt and exciting. I enjoy the Model 70 Safari Express much more for extended firing. How heavy are your rifles?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AiWinClubApp

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.