The .375 Ruger is 13 y/o now. A look back at people's early opinions

I was living in Juneau, AK from 2006 to 2010, when the 375 Ruger came out. The Alaskan model was a huge hit up there. I did not need one, but wanted one...just because. I opted for the 23 inch barrel Hawkeye, at that time, I believe it was called the African, but without the barrel band. I just liked the feel better. Had the Black Ice protective coating put on it and used it as bear watch rifle when a bunch of us went salmon fishing in creeks where the great bears hung out. Never used it much other than that during my Alaska days.

Fast forward to present day, it is fun as heck to take hogs with it in AL. Put an old Leupold FX-11 fixed 6x on it that works well for me. It is not picky to reload at all, favors the Nosler 260 Gr. Partitions and AccuBonds with RL-15. I found some Sierra 250 Gr. GameKings with AA 4064 that are very accurate on paper, I have not used them in the field yet. Also, found some Barnes 270 Gr. TSX FB that I loaded with some RL-15. Plan on tinkering with the Barnes load this weekend and trying those and the GameKings out in the field on some walking hams and a nice buck if encountered. I have a Winchester Classic Stainless in 375 H&H and I really enjoy shooting the 375 Ruger more. Also, seems like 375 bullets have been easier to find lately than a majority of calibers. Just my two cents. I'm a traditionalist, but for a newer caliber, I really like it.

The .375 Ruger is a well-designed and extremely well marketed cartridge. It brought together two giants in the American firearms industry: the synergy of the Ruger rifles in which it was offered and the Hornady-engineered cartridge itself was nothing short of magical. Most of all, I'm happy that it lit so many people's fire. We all need to want a new rifle.

Personally, I'll stick to the .375 H&H. The deliberately-moderate velocities I get from my handloads make it wonderful to shoot and have never lost me an animal. Also, I have never been able to appreciate cartridge efficiency--actually preferring the much more prosperous and Rubenesque nitro express rounds of the good old days. And lastly, I am quite agnostic on an additional .3" of bolt throw, while I positively dislike the looks of short barrels other than on Mannlicher-stocked rifles.

But I reiterate that this cartridge, from a purely objective standpoint, is right on target and it deserves to continue being a success. Long live the .375 Ruger.

The .375 Ruger is a well-designed and extremely well marketed cartridge. It brought together two giants in the American firearms industry: the synergy of the Ruger rifles in which it was offered and the Hornady-engineered cartridge itself was nothing short of magical. Most of all, I'm happy that it lit so many people's fire. We all need to want a new rifle.

Personally, I'll stick to the .375 H&H. The deliberately-moderate velocities I get from my handloads make it wonderful to shoot and have never lost me an animal. Also, I have never been able to appreciate cartridge efficiency--actually preferring the much more prosperous and Rubenesque nitro express rounds of the good old days. And lastly, I am quite agnostic on an additional .3" of bolt throw, while I positively dislike the looks of short barrels other than on Mannlicher-stocked rifles.

But I reiterate that this cartridge, from a purely objective standpoint, is right on target and it deserves to continue being a success. Long live the .375 Ruger.
I probably wills stick to the 375 H&H as well, and I don't necessarily need another 375...Maybe the 416 Ruger...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 8.51.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 8.51.43 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 68
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 8.51.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 8.51.46 PM.png
    687 KB · Views: 67
And still Hornady has not made any cases for reloading. Ruger, Savage, and Mossberg make rifles in .375 Ruger. I am considering rebuilding a '38 Turk Mauser into .375 Ruger just to have a Mauser chambered in it, now owning 2 of the Ruger rifles chambered in .375 Ruger. The 20" barrel is light and handy, and Hogue "rubber eraser" stock absorbs some of the recoil and is easy to hold in wet/cold. It just works, like Provo's Privy!

The 375 H&H is a bit too fast as it is the 375 Flanged Magnum NE is perfect with a 300gr. If you load a 375 H&H with 340gr bullets it becomes perfect and not marginal for DG....
2200fps to 2400fps is perfect speed for bullets with sd of over .300 getting to sd of .330 or about again is perfect for dg......

The 375 H&H is a bit too fast as it is the 375 Flanged Magnum NE is perfect with a 300gr. If you load a 375 H&H with 340gr bullets it becomes perfect and not marginal for DG....
2200fps to 2400fps is perfect speed for bullets with sd of over .300 getting to sd of .330 or about again is perfect for dg......
I agree that the standard, nominal MV of most 300-grain factory ammo is too fast except for perhaps all-copper expanding bullets. For the Swift A-Frame, which is composed of pure copper & pure lead I load them to 2,450 fps MV. That MV will gain you entrance to any country that cares a whit about MV/ME on DG.

If you prefer factory loadings of the A-Frame, then I can recommend the Federal Premium Safari A-Frame loading. On my last test of 10 consecutive shots of that ammo from a 24" barrel its average MV was 2,447 fps. Not too shabby.

@IvW
That's why the 9.3x62 takes big game so well with a 300 or 320gn bullet. High SD of .341 and 2,200fps.
It may not have the fpe of the 375H&H but it has the penetration.
As you said the 375H&H speeds need a 350gn.
Bob

@IvW
That's why the 9.3x62 takes big game so well with a 300 or 320gn bullet. High SD of .341 and 2,200fps.
It may not have the fpe of the 375H&H but it has the penetration.
As you said the 375H&H speeds need a 350gn.
Bob
What about the 380 gr peregrine's?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross