The .375 Ruger is 13 y/o now. A look back at people's early opinions

Viral_SIGness

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
The 375 Ruger, to me, in stainless / synthetic is a gun made for Alaska. Pretty rugged, plenty of power, CRF, and not expensive. All that being said, I have a Rem XCR II in 375 Weatherby for about the same price (not CRF). Happy with that.
Controlled Round Feed, is not appreciated for the feed at all. It's the large, non-rotating, claw extractor.

I loved my Remingtons, but I don't think I'd take one for DG (no offense meant). A stuck case, and you're screwed because it will just pull a little chunk off. I had issues with my 700 Long Range in .300 RUM is why I say that. Of course, now you can have the M16 extractor added to the Remy bolt. Those XCR's are NICE rifles, and I don't blame you for being content where you are.

I think the .375 Ruger is just as much at home in Africa, as it is Alaska. The 20" version will cost you 66 fps, but still very viable. My 23" runs neck and neck with the .375 Roy. It also, is one of the only cartridges to come out in the last 50 years, that does something an existing cartridge could not do. It matched (and beat), the H&H, but does it in a standard long action.

lwaters

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa, New Zealand

Viral_SIGness

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
I also think it here to stay. It is just a better cartridge to handload than the 375 H&H.
Hornady should get off the nonexistent nuts of the Man Bun cartridges, and make a .264", .284", and .338 on the 375 Ruger case. My wildcat, which was just a 375R necked down using a .338 then .300 RCM die, and it would outrun my EX-FIL'S 300 Bee.

lwaters

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa, New Zealand
Hornady should get off the nonexistent nuts of the Man Bun cartridges, and make a .264", .284", and .338 on the 375 Ruger case. My wildcat, which was just a 375R necked down using a .338 then .300 RCM die, and it would outrun my EX-FIL'S 300 Bee.
Nosler has come close to doing exactly that. Hornady missed the boat. Look at how many 30 cal. short mags. there is. The 300RCM is the best for the reloader. No rebated rim.

ldmay375

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Left to right:
375 Ruger, 30-06, 416 Ruger.
The outboard rifles are two of my favorites. Probably my most favorites above .338 caliber.
194EC46B-9278-4D9B-AD0A-23670883DCE5.jpeg
29CCF79A-119C-488A-B6AF-2104F609DC98.jpeg

ldmay375

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Not long after the 375 Ruger was available, I had a 20” re-barrelled with a Lilja barrel. It was suppose to finish at 23”, wound up 23.5”. I had another done at the same time for my son, it was suppose to be 22”, but also had the extra 1/2”.
Anyways, I became tired of waiting on mine. During the Excessive wait, I bought that 20” in the picture. The 23.5” gets a lot of safe time. Though it does shoot excellent. So does the factory 20” barrel. I had much rather carry the 20”.
The 20” factory 416 Ruger shoots excellent also.

Viral_SIGness

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Not long after the 375 Ruger was available, I had a 20” re-barrelled with a Lilja barrel. It was suppose to finish at 23”, wound up 23.5”. I had another done at the same time for my son, it was suppose to be 22”, but also had the extra 1/2”.
Anyways, I became tired of waiting on mine. During the Excessive wait, I bought that 20” in the picture. The 23.5” gets a lot of safe time. Though it does shoot excellent. So does the factory 20” barrel. I had much rather carry the 20”.
The 20” factory 416 Ruger shoots excellent also.
What is the stock on the middle one? I love that look!

ldmay375

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
What is the stock on the middle one? I love that look!
The middle one is a Bell & Carlson, for Ruger “long action” with magnum barrel channel. It has the full length aluminum bedding block/frame. This Ruger stock is a recent addition to their product line.

The color is their Brown with Black webbing. Which as the lady told me when I ordered, it looks different than depicted on website. I like the color, I have some M70 stocks in this brown.

Edited: Brown with Black Webbing

Viral_SIGness

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
The middle one is a Bell & Carlson, for Ruger “long action” with magnum barrel channel. It has the full length aluminum bedding block/frame. This Ruger stock is a recent addition to their product line.

The color is their Brown with Black webbing. Which as the lady told me when I ordered, it looks different than depicted on website. I like the color, I have some M70 stocks in this brown.

Edited: Brown with Black Webbing
I thought it reassembled the B&C on my Rem 700 Long Range. I had no idea they did Ruger stocks. How does it feel recoil wise, compared to the Hogue? The Hogue feel like they were made just to tame these guns.

ldmay375

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
I thought it reassembled the B&C on my Rem 700 Long Range. I had no idea they did Ruger stocks. How does it feel recoil wise, compared to the Hogue? The Hogue feel like they were made just to tame these guns.
As to recoil, I cannot speak to that yet. I have not fired this rifle. This is a 30-06, so not going to be much recoil to judge by.
This rifle is/was a Guide Gun, that I purchased as used. It appears the previous owner had the muzzle brake threads cut-off and the barrel re-crowned. Unless they made a model that was not threaded.
The barrel contour appears identical to the 375 Ruger.

Edit:
the Bell & Carlson comes with a Decelerator pad installed
I have a few of their stocks on M70’s and a factory installed one on a CZ 458 Lott.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AbrahamSte

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

pam308 wrote on TOBY458's profile.
Just saw your listing for a winchester 70 458. Is it still for sale? I want it!!! pam308
flatwater bill wrote on john stroud's profile.
Leopard Legend....................Hi John.............I see that you have not visited AH in awhile. Hope all is well. I am looking for a hunt in Namibia..............would like to ask a few questions about your hunt.............all the best..............................Bill
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?