The .270 Winchester in Africa

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by Quaticman, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Art Lambart II

Art Lambart II AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, SCI, QDMA
    Hunted:
    MI, TX, MO, South Africa Limpopo & Northwest Provinces
    @Quaticman, As I said earlier the 270 is a fine round and should be fine for all the PG you listed. My concern is not the game but the shot presented and the distance of that shot. If you PH puts you on a 60" Kudu at 200 yards quartering towards you and your carrying a 270 would you shoot or would you work for a better shot. If you or your son would work for a better shot I would recommend a larger round like your 9.3x62 or a 35 Whelen. If your comfortable using a 270 for that shot then stick with the 270. The only person that can answer that question is you and your son, the rest of us can only give advice and opinions.

Personally for potential PG rifles I own a 270, 30-06, 300WM and a 35 Whelen, I have been to Africa twice and I've never considered taking my 270. The 270 I used on my first safari belonged to my PH, I had to barrow his rifle because Delta left my rifles in ATL.

2. Nyati

Nyati AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    RFEC, RFETO
    Hunted:
    Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
    Will work fine on just about anything with premium ammo and proper shot placement.

3. Von S.

Von S. AH Fanatic

Range finder, shooting sticks and a heavier bullet that won't blow up or won't open at all, and practice with the same loads that you are going to hunt with.

If you are capable of ,400 yard shots then practice at them. Make a cheat sheet, lamanate it and tape it to your stock.

Don't be pressure into taking shot you're not comfortable with.

You'll do fine.

HWL and Hogpatrol like this.

4. BeeMaa

BeeMaa AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, SCI
    Hunted:
    Eastern US & RSA
    My wife is taking a 270 to Africa next year for Kudu and Sable.
    I spoke with our PH extensively about this caliber for this game, and he said to use Swift A-Frames.
    That said, she is capable of shooting my 375 if the shot needs to punch through some brush.