That dreaded email from United

Areaonereal

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Well not so bad as that letter from the Draft board in the ‘60’s, but still a disappointment. Earlier my flight from EWR to JNB was cancelled, rebook one day earlier, rebook Airlink….today my flight from JNB to EWR cancelled…now an extra day in JNB, keeping Airlink schedule. I can only surmise that passenger load did not look promising for those flights and so reschedule a day before or after to insure a more profitable flight. I am 6 weeks out prior departure so it was not a staffing issue on either occasion. A somewhat modified bait and switch. I checked Qatar, but not economically feasible this close to departure, and the airlines bank on this to keep you booked with them at a rate less than competitors. Logistically this is a dirty little secret used by carriers. Offer the schedule, but cancel if it does not look profitable and move those passengers to another flight..2 …50% flights transfer into one 90% flight, accounting for cancellations. United is working the system and can not blame Covid staff problems six weeks out from departure.

Exactly what is happening, just like the “maintenance” issues that arise when you are sitting in BFE west Texas and it is you and a few other people. They always seem to get it resolved when the flight is almost full though!

I've been tracking flights on United. I've flown Qatar a couple of times and enjoyed flying with them, but they have doubled their prices. Delta raised theirs as well. Ethiopian, we flew with them on the last trip and I will try to avoid flying with them again, if possible.
I go for the cheapest first, then the shortest time. Right now, United has a great price and only one short layover.
I'd rather save as much money as I can on the airfare and put that towards my animal list. Even a savings of $500 would cover at least one animal on almost any outfitters price list.

Just got the same cancellation from United. Had to move my schedule up a day, one more day hunting - not the worst thing. I booked my flights 10 months ago and knowing the airline shenanigans I assumed something like this would happen.

It’s a shame. Part of it these days I guess. Hoping by summer it will all be better.

Considering it's still summer in RSA, not a good sign.

This cancellation thing is a world wide issue at the moment.
Be interesting if this continues for those going to nz. You must arrive and leave on the flights that you signed for on your firearms permit. That’s going to be fun.
:cautious: :sick: :cautious:

With that being said, There are valid reason for some cancellation but i agree it is way too much these days. It's like no one takes their jobs seriously.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherrillGl

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg