Texas Hog bunt Reccomendations

Backyardsniper

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I'm looking at planning a hog hunt in Texas. I have a friend retiring from the army and while we had wanted to do a safari together that plan will just not work at the moment. So, what we are looking to do is something like a 3 day hunt in Texas. If anyone has hunted with or knows of a really good ranch for hog hunting in Texas please let me know.

How “nice” or how Spartan are you willing to go? And how “canned” or how much of an actual “hunt” do you want?

There are places here where you can pop a half dozen pigs a day on a 300 acre high fence property…. Great fun… but not really hunting at all when you’ve got a couple thousand pigs packed into a place that size… more of a high paced shoot…

And there are places where you may or may not see a pig for a day or two… but you’ll be in 4 or 5 star accommodation, eat like a king, etc… you’ll likely get a hog… there’s millions of them here…but it’s a very different experience than what most social media and hunting tv shows depict hog hunting to be like in TX

If cost isn't a factor I think that Helicopter hog hunts would be a blast, so to speak.

How “nice” or how Spartan are you willing to go? And how “canned” or how much of an actual “hunt” do you want?

There are places here where you can pop a half dozen pigs a day on a 300 acre high fence property…. Great fun… but not really hunting at all when you’ve got a couple thousand pigs packed into a place that size… more of a high paced shoot…

And there are places where you may or may not see a pig for a day or two… but you’ll be in 4 or 5 star accommodation, eat like a king, etc… you’ll likely get a hog… there’s millions of them here…but it’s a very different experience than what most social media and hunting tv shows depict hog hunting to be like in TX
This is kind of a retirement deal for my buddy that was at the DSC with me so I would like to go to a pretty nice place, with good food and all that. I would prefer it to be a bit of an actual hunt if possible. I would definitely lean toward your second option. Nicer accommodations with good food and tougher hunting. If we can get one or two pigs each that would be plenty sufficient.

If cost isn't a factor I think that Helicopter hog hunts would be a blast, so to speak.
Those are neat, for this hunt though, I think we are gonna be looking at something a bit more traditional/laid back. Probably more value placed on the actual hunting and bringing a little meat home. Plus this will be a good opportunity to use up some of those hornady 2nds I bought from midway for my double rifle. Ha ha

Havnt been but everyone speaks highly of Gizmos place here

Oh yeah, I should probably give him a shout. That might be just what we need.

When I turkey hunted with @gizmo he had a bunch of them. You may need to use light and hunt at night (presuming that be legal) as they were very nocturnal.

@gizmo & the Rockin G Ranch would be where I’d go.

Image1682264778.904821.jpg

Agree. I think I’d give Gizmo a shout.. he sounds like what you’re looking for.

I'm looking at planning a hog hunt in Texas. I have a friend retiring from the army and while we had wanted to do a safari together that plan will just not work at the moment. So, what we are looking to do is something like a 3 day hunt in Texas. If anyone has hunted with or knows of a really good ranch for hog hunting in Texas please let me know.
I know an outfit outside Haskell that runs dogs on hogs and you can close the deal with a spear or knife. Regular low fence rifle hunting as well. They’ve got some big ones in that farm country. Accommodations are fair, not 4/5 star but they have a nice bar/pool hall to hang out. I can put you in touch if interested.

We do a dog/knife hunt every spring… it’s a wild ride… very different than any other sort of hunting out there…

With a good dog team, if we get into a good patch of pigs, we’ve been known to take as many as 12 in a day (between about 10 hunters)…

The fewest we’ve ever taken is 6 (that was what we took last month when we most recently did the annual hunt)…

We do a dog/knife hunt every spring… it’s a wild ride… very different than any other sort of hunting out there…

With a good dog team, if we get into a good patch of pigs, we’ve been known to take as many as 12 in a day (between about 10 hunters)…

The fewest we’ve ever taken is 6 (that was what we took last month when we most recently did the annual hunt)…
Now that I would be interested in. I actually already have a spear.

Now that I would be interested in. I actually already have a spear.

Let’s chat.

It’s a veterans group that I put together each year. Mostly SOF guys (although not exclusively)… we typically have a spare bunk or two available each spring…

We rifle hunt on the night of arrival with thermals, NV, etc (Thursday) then run dogs Fri and Sat… then rifle hunt again Saturday night… and depart on Sunday morning…

Great time with a great group of guys…we’ve been doing the hunt annually for the past 6 years…

Let’s chat.

It’s a veterans group that I put together each year. Mostly SOF guys (although not exclusively)… we typically have a spare bunk or two available each spring…

We rifle hunt on the night of arrival with thermals, NV, etc (Thursday) then run dogs Fri and Sat… then rifle hunt again Saturday night… and depart on Sunday morning…

Great time with a great group of guys…we’ve been doing the hunt annually for the past 6 years…
That would be great. I'll shoot you a PM.

Another vote for Gizmo's. Me and two buds shot pigs and coyotes there on a three day hunt. There's a small lake there also for some bass fishing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarioWinsl

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?