Dr Ray

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association of Australia + CRM Gunsports (Cairns)
Once again a superb knife from Von Gruff. This knife (never to be used as I collect them) was a suggestion from one of the AH members.
The black handle is made of Cape Buffalo horn. The steel was made from a leaf spring whereas the bolster is made of brass.
The scabbard is a traditional leather one.

According to Von Gruff this is a one off!

Maybe someone else would like a Templer Knight's knife to add to their collection.
Well done, Garry!
IMG_2939.jpg Blade of Templer Knight.jpg

IMG_2938.jpg Knife.jpg

IMG_2937.jpg Templer Knights knife.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful dagger !

Love it!

Ray, you really need to find someone who needs killing with that blade. A medieval design, that basic double edge pattern was just as effective with the Commandos and later SAS in the form of the Fairbairn-Sykes fighting knife of the Second World War as it was in the hands of a Templar at Acre.

In the US military, with a K-Bar and Bowie heritage, we prefer a bit more blade and a single edge. But yours will be just as effective now as its progenitor of the 13th century.

Fairbairn–Sykes_fighting_knife,_Fort_William.jpg

Ray, you really need to find someone who needs killing with that blade. A medieval design, that basic double edge pattern was just as effective with the Commandos and later SAS in the form of the Fairbairn-Sykes fighting knife of the Second World War as it was in the hands of a Templar at Acre.

In the US military, with a K-Bar and Bowie heritage, we prefer a bit more blade and a single edge. But yours will be just as effective now as its progenitor of the 13th century.

View attachment 385782
I have just finished a Fairbairn Sykes (third pattern) and did a Kabar as well a while back and when I did the first one I made a second in case I got the fuller wrong as it was the first one I had tried and didn't have a mill to do it with so there is this one available. Both made to original specs.

IMG_20210126_075314.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations Dr. Ray, that is one great looking knife!

Nicely done Von Gruff.

Once again a superb knife from Von Gruff. This knife (never to be used as I collect them) was a suggestion from one of the AH members.
The black handle is made of Cape Buffalo horn. The steel was made from a leaf spring whereas the bolster is made of brass.
The scabbard is a traditional leather one.

According to Von Gruff this is a one off!

Maybe someone else would like a Templer Knight's knife to add to their collection.
Well done, Garry!View attachment 385599
View attachment 385600
View attachment 385601
@Dr Ray
Very nice looks a bit like a very upmarket Fairburn Sykes commando knife.
Bob

@Dr Ray
Very nice looks a bit like a very upmarket Fairburn Sykes commando knife.
Bob

Wait until you see my next knife coming shortly.
Another Von Gruff - between the two of us we designed a great new knife that I will actually use.
Mind you the other day I used a VG knife - extremely sharp I can assure you.
Problem was it was on my right hand little finger - bled like a stuck hog!!

Wait until you see my next knife coming shortly.
Another Von Gruff - between the two of us we designed a great new knife that I will actually use.
Mind you the other day I used a VG knife - extremely sharp I can assure you.
Problem was it was on my right hand little finger - bled like a stuck hog!!
@Dr Ray
And here's you a Dr and trying to do an amputation.
That will teach you don't play with sharp objects.
Bob

A very nice collectible!
You notice on the Fairburn -Sykes that the sharpened edge goes all the way to the guard. That's because the Commando knife was meant to be used in a serious fashion. Shove it all the way in and rip!
As Bob Loveless said, "a ricasso is a waste of blade length!"

A very nice collectible!
You notice on the Fairburn -Sykes that the sharpened edge goes all the way to the guard. That's because the Commando knife was meant to be used in a serious fashion. Shove it all the way in and rip!
As Bob Loveless said, "a ricasso is a waste of blade length!"
Not all Fairbairn Sykes had full length edges so it depended on the pattern with the first pattern having an inch of ricasso

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 9.40.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 9.40.06 AM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 102
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 9.40.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 9.40.09 AM.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 101
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 9.40.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 9.40.12 AM.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 101
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 9.40.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 9.40.15 AM.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 105

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross