Dr Ray

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association of Australia + CRM Gunsports (Cairns)
Once again a superb knife from Von Gruff. This knife (never to be used as I collect them) was a suggestion from one of the AH members.
The black handle is made of Cape Buffalo horn. The steel was made from a leaf spring whereas the bolster is made of brass.
The scabbard is a traditional leather one.

According to Von Gruff this is a one off!

Maybe someone else would like a Templer Knight's knife to add to their collection.
Well done, Garry!
IMG_2939.jpg Blade of Templer Knight.jpg

IMG_2938.jpg Knife.jpg

IMG_2937.jpg Templer Knights knife.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful dagger !

Love it!

Ray, you really need to find someone who needs killing with that blade. A medieval design, that basic double edge pattern was just as effective with the Commandos and later SAS in the form of the Fairbairn-Sykes fighting knife of the Second World War as it was in the hands of a Templar at Acre.

In the US military, with a K-Bar and Bowie heritage, we prefer a bit more blade and a single edge. But yours will be just as effective now as its progenitor of the 13th century.

Fairbairn–Sykes_fighting_knife,_Fort_William.jpg

Ray, you really need to find someone who needs killing with that blade. A medieval design, that basic double edge pattern was just as effective with the Commandos and later SAS in the form of the Fairbairn-Sykes fighting knife of the Second World War as it was in the hands of a Templar at Acre.

In the US military, with a K-Bar and Bowie heritage, we prefer a bit more blade and a single edge. But yours will be just as effective now as its progenitor of the 13th century.

View attachment 385782
I have just finished a Fairbairn Sykes (third pattern) and did a Kabar as well a while back and when I did the first one I made a second in case I got the fuller wrong as it was the first one I had tried and didn't have a mill to do it with so there is this one available. Both made to original specs.

IMG_20210126_075314.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations Dr. Ray, that is one great looking knife!

Nicely done Von Gruff.

Once again a superb knife from Von Gruff. This knife (never to be used as I collect them) was a suggestion from one of the AH members.
The black handle is made of Cape Buffalo horn. The steel was made from a leaf spring whereas the bolster is made of brass.
The scabbard is a traditional leather one.

According to Von Gruff this is a one off!

Maybe someone else would like a Templer Knight's knife to add to their collection.
Well done, Garry!View attachment 385599
View attachment 385600
View attachment 385601
@Dr Ray
Very nice looks a bit like a very upmarket Fairburn Sykes commando knife.
Bob

@Dr Ray
Very nice looks a bit like a very upmarket Fairburn Sykes commando knife.
Bob

Wait until you see my next knife coming shortly.
Another Von Gruff - between the two of us we designed a great new knife that I will actually use.
Mind you the other day I used a VG knife - extremely sharp I can assure you.
Problem was it was on my right hand little finger - bled like a stuck hog!!

Wait until you see my next knife coming shortly.
Another Von Gruff - between the two of us we designed a great new knife that I will actually use.
Mind you the other day I used a VG knife - extremely sharp I can assure you.
Problem was it was on my right hand little finger - bled like a stuck hog!!
@Dr Ray
And here's you a Dr and trying to do an amputation.
That will teach you don't play with sharp objects.
Bob

A very nice collectible!
You notice on the Fairburn -Sykes that the sharpened edge goes all the way to the guard. That's because the Commando knife was meant to be used in a serious fashion. Shove it all the way in and rip!
As Bob Loveless said, "a ricasso is a waste of blade length!"

A very nice collectible!
You notice on the Fairburn -Sykes that the sharpened edge goes all the way to the guard. That's because the Commando knife was meant to be used in a serious fashion. Shove it all the way in and rip!
As Bob Loveless said, "a ricasso is a waste of blade length!"
Not all Fairbairn Sykes had full length edges so it depended on the pattern with the first pattern having an inch of ricasso

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 9.40.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 9.40.06 AM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 102
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 9.40.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 9.40.09 AM.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 101
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 9.40.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 9.40.12 AM.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 102
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 9.40.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-28 at 9.40.15 AM.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 105

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win__

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you