Taxidermy question

Bwana'

AH member
Joined
Aug 24, 2010
Messages
20
Reaction score
16
Media
27
Hunting reports
Africa
2
Member of
SCI
I just got some taxidermy work back from a trip a few years back.

We have move far enough a way from the taxidermist that it is not possible to return it. It was shipped to our new address. It was an eland, sable and a Rusa deer.

Where the sable was wrapped around the neck, the hair is matted down. The mane doesn't stand up at all like others I have seen.

Does anyone have advice on how to handle this?

What can I do to fix?

Thank you in advance!!!
 
How about some photos of the problem.
It might be able for some to see the problem.
 
We have a couple of fine taxidermist here on this site that can no doubt help you. But I agree with @Bhfs300 some pictures will help with suggested actions.
 
We have a couple of fine taxidermist here on this site that can no doubt help you. But I agree with @Bhfs300 some pictures will help with suggested actions.
Sorry about the quality of pictures.
Meant to show the mane...
Just doesn't look right to me
Thanks for the replies!.
20180514_204706.jpg
20180514_204646.jpg
20180514_204619.jpg
 
Looks like ears on my Kudu when I got it back.
Maybe Dennis at Artistry of Wildlife can give some help.
Tom
 
I'll give you my opinion :) Get the mane hair wet, but try not to "soak" the cape around the hair too much. Once the mane is wet, you can apply some hair products like a light hair gel, then card the hair to stand up. By card we mean use a piece of poster board or cardboard to sandwich the hair in a standing position while it dries. You could use clothes pins or staple the cardboard pieces closed with the hair in the middle. I have also seen long, thin hair combs do the same thing as the comb is inserted into the standing mane and left in. After a few days, remove the carding and use a stiff brush to groom the hair in the standing position. It might take several tries at re wetting and carding.
IF it is really stubborn, I have used a hair dryer and style hair just like we humans would do, but some folks are scared of the heat source and hair on a mount, but I have never experienced any issues.
Good luck
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,274
Messages
1,571,268
Members
169,321
Latest member
eisenpeak
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
 
Top