Bwana'

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI
I just got some taxidermy work back from a trip a few years back.

We have move far enough a way from the taxidermist that it is not possible to return it. It was shipped to our new address. It was an eland, sable and a Rusa deer.

Where the sable was wrapped around the neck, the hair is matted down. The mane doesn't stand up at all like others I have seen.

Does anyone have advice on how to handle this?

What can I do to fix?

Thank you in advance!!!

How about some photos of the problem.
It might be able for some to see the problem.

We have a couple of fine taxidermist here on this site that can no doubt help you. But I agree with @Bhfs300 some pictures will help with suggested actions.

We have a couple of fine taxidermist here on this site that can no doubt help you. But I agree with @Bhfs300 some pictures will help with suggested actions.
Sorry about the quality of pictures.
Meant to show the mane...
Just doesn't look right to me
Thanks for the replies!.
20180514_204706.jpg
20180514_204646.jpg
20180514_204619.jpg

Looks like ears on my Kudu when I got it back.
Maybe Dennis at Artistry of Wildlife can give some help.
Tom

I'll give you my opinion :) Get the mane hair wet, but try not to "soak" the cape around the hair too much. Once the mane is wet, you can apply some hair products like a light hair gel, then card the hair to stand up. By card we mean use a piece of poster board or cardboard to sandwich the hair in a standing position while it dries. You could use clothes pins or staple the cardboard pieces closed with the hair in the middle. I have also seen long, thin hair combs do the same thing as the comb is inserted into the standing mane and left in. After a few days, remove the carding and use a stiff brush to groom the hair in the standing position. It might take several tries at re wetting and carding.
IF it is really stubborn, I have used a hair dryer and style hair just like we humans would do, but some folks are scared of the heat source and hair on a mount, but I have never experienced any issues.
Good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShellieWei

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!