Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa, New Zealand
I decided to try ocean fishing as I have never done it before. I booked a three day fishing trip with Rio Indio Lodge. Me and my wife flew to San Jose Costa Rico and took a charter to the lodge. We got delayed a little because of rain but made it for some afternoon fishing. I hook something for awhile and the swivel pulled into. It got late and went back to the lodge for a huge meal and plenty of rum and coke. Went out next morning after another huge breakfast and I caught and landed a 150lbs tarpon. Needless to say the fish pretty much wore me out it wasn't 20min and we had another one on. I told my wife it was her turn and she said no way can I handle that. Guide est. him at 150 also. I did the best I could but I wore completely out and the guide had to help fight it. Headed back in for lunch could hardly pick up my arms and ate a good meal and rested awhile. We back out that afternoon and I hooked two on a rubber swimshade that I pick up at Cabelas. They took a couple leaps out of the water and spit out the lure. That did'nt hurt my feelings to much. Later on I got another one around 75lbs that was a little easier to handle. Next day we went up the jungle stream and caught alot of snook and some big bluegill looking fish that were around two lbs. My wife caught one snook that may have been around 4lbs but most were around two. We caught more than I could count. The do have rainbow and tiger bass but the guide said wasn't the best time for river fishing. We seen monkeys iguanas american crocs caymans and some other green lizards. The place was a bird watchers paridise. I well try to make it there every year. My wife loved it and the lodge was beautiful. She liked the river fishing better more her size of fish. All together I landed four tarpon and hooked up with two others. It was all I could handle. Well go back I think this spring when the river bass fishing is better.

Nothing like big fish to tire you out.

Drag and drop a picture if you have em....

Going to try to upload some photos

034.JPG
002.JPG
013.JPG
025.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on your trip, sounds like a nice place to relax and fish!

Going to try to up load some from phone
20161106_085057.jpg
20161107_061138.jpg
20161106_102553.jpg
20161106_102549.jpg
20161108_062653.jpg
20161105_092350.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a big fish....

Hard to believe a fish that big can completely clear the water. Best part the charter was part of the deal and only a little over four hours from Houston Texas.

Tarpon are a very powerful fish.

Congrats! I was born in Nicaragua, and I fished the Rio San Juan that divides Nicaragua and Costa Rica; we fished for tarpon & snook. We also fished for shark (bulls & saw-fish) in Nicaragua's big lake, great memories. Glad the country is stable again and that you had a great trip. How big was your tarpon?

Congrats! I was born in Nicaragua, and I fished the Rio San Juan that divides Nicaragua and Costa Rica; we fished for tarpon & snook. We also fished for shark (bulls & saw-fish) in Nicaragua's big lake, great memories. Glad the country is stable again and that you had a great trip. How bias your tarpon?
The guide said three were o ee 150 and one around 80

It was a beautiful and wild place. My wife fell in love with it and plan to go back many times. Its the Amazon at a quarter the price

Congrats my Kansas neighbor! That was some big fish you hooked!

Congratulations on a great trip! Funny, I was just sitting here wondering how the fishing is there right now... I leave next week for my first trip to Rio Indio for some tarpon fishing. Sounds like you had an awesome time!

I hope you left me a few 180lb fish to catch!!! (y)

@lwaters I am jealous. Steve has been harping on me to do this trip for a few years now. Was Mr. Dean on this trip with you?

Congratulations on a great trip! Funny, I was just sitting here wondering how the fishing is there right now... I leave next week for my first trip to Rio Indio for some tarpon fishing. Sounds like you had an awesome time!

We let all the tarpon go back

@lwaters I am jealous. Steve has been harping on me to do this trip for a few years now. Was Mr. Dean on this trip with you?
No Steve was not there. He is pretty bruised up and embarrassed after he fell down in the boat and was dragged around by the tarpon. The bad part is Colorado Buck got it all on film. In his defense I almost fell in the boat but I had tipped my guide enough so he caught me.

Tell Alfredo hi from Leonard and Anita

Will do sir!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genihi4888

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg