Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI ; Rowland Ward
Hunted
United States ; South Africa
Hello Y'all! Back from hunting in the South Africa, Tibivati Area, for Cape Buffalo and will post my story, journey, and pics soon.

I may have the opportunity to hunt Tanzania this year and wanted to gain some insight on the differences between hunting in South Africa versus Tanzania. Daily rates are significantly higher in Tanzania.

What are the must haves in hunting this part of Africa? I also noticed hunts are booked for longer periods of time, ie minimum 10 days, and I may only have the opportunity to hunt for 7 days. Recommendations on outfitters?

Thanks,

dt

The must haves are whatever you cant get somewhere else, if you can afford them. How deep are ones pockets? Not all of TZ has the same game too. You have to know which area you will be hunting. There are two species of gnu you wont find elsewhere, white-bearded and Nyasaland, which you may find in northern Zambia possibly, not sure on that. You have the gerenuk, lesser kudu, the gazelles, Thompson and Grants, both great trophies and not hard to find in the right area. The biggest impala come from here. There are others as well. Its a great safari country, the classic areas of Ruark and Hemingway. As to hunting days, not sure what you mean by only a 7 day opportunity and 10 day minimum. I hunted there a long time ago and have no personal knowledge of current outfitters, but there will some listed here on AH and others will make themselves known if you are serious. Good luck!

I am not sure if you can purchase a 7 day safari in Tanzania. But no problem you book a 10 day and hunt 7 days.

You will find you have limited trophy animals available on your quota with the 10 day package.

Check for the air part and other cost have risen in the past few years. I think i read that 2014 will have another increase in trophy fees.

You will probably have 2 cape buffalo on quota with each being a different price, and a few plains game to add to the list. No eland or kudu though.

However you will have a good time.

I suggest that you go the 1 X 1 route if you are only able to take in 7 days.

I suggest that you look at Chris Moro on here...seems to put his clients in the right place.

some trophy's listed by Sestoppelman are not available on a 10 day safari package.

You will find that the northern and southern part of Tanzania offer different trophys - Check what you will have a go at. for a 10 day safari package you get (i think) 7 animals with 2 being cape buffalo if the quota is still available.

The must haves are whatever you cant get somewhere else, if you can afford them. How deep are ones pockets? Not all of TZ has the same game too. You have to know which area you will be hunting. There are two species of gnu you wont find elsewhere, white-bearded and Nyasaland, which you may find in northern Zambia possibly, not sure on that. You have the gerenuk, lesser kudu, the gazelles, Thompson and Grants, both great trophies and not hard to find in the right area. The biggest impala come from here. There are others as well. Its a great safari country, the classic areas of Ruark and Hemingway. As to hunting days, not sure what you mean by only a 7 day opportunity and 10 day minimum. I hunted there a long time ago and have no personal knowledge of current outfitters, but there will some listed here on AH and others will make themselves known if you are serious. Good luck!

some trophy's listed by Sestoppelman are not available on a 10 day safari package.

You will find that the northern and southern part of Tanzania offer different trophys - Check what you will have a go at. for a 10 day safari package you get (i think) 7 animals with 2 being cape buffalo if the quota is still available.
Boy James, its a good goldarnthang thing you pointed that out! I cant imagine the sheer magnitude of problems that may have ensued should you not have done so! Whew!!:rolleyes: Wow! Good catch!!:clap::sarcasm:

Sestoppleman,

Thank you for the response. Would love to hunt the gazelles and walk on the same ground as Ruark and Hemingway. Thank you for the information. What do you consider big impala? I have been looking for quite some time for a monster and on three trips largest I have harvested has been 24". Working on building the depth of my pockets:)

James,

Thanks for the response. Why the high prices on daily rates and minimum time being 10 days with a limited quota? I am assuming that is government driven. Thanks again for taking the time to share.

dt

Sestoppleman,

Thank you for the response. Would love to hunt the gazelles and walk on the same ground as Ruark and Hemingway. Thank you for the information. What do you consider big impala? I have been looking for quite some time for a monster and on three trips largest I have harvested has been 24". Working on building the depth of my pockets:)
Trophy East African impala start at 24". They are the bad boys of impala.

Tanzania is wonderful country, just makes you have a lot of money saved up before you think of making major plans, because we are talking about $20,000 to $30,000 for a small cape buffalo hunt...start adding all the wonderful antelope and we are in the $70,000 to $80,000 range. A lot of options out there, some great outfitters and PH's but it's anything but cheap. I would look up the animals of Tanzania, look at your pocketbook and decide what hunt package fits your budget.

The daily rates for Tanzania are high compared to other African countries.
You will be in a tented camp with about 16 workers and trackers. This takes money to operate.
Air shuttle is expensive also running about 5K and upwards of 10 k for some camps. and there is little choice in air shuttle service.
The government sets the guidelines and the Outfitters and PH follow the directives.
A 10 day safari with 7 animals will be in the 40K ball park.
Your choice of animals to have a go at will differ with the different concession holders. I am not sure you will be able to go after all the gazelles on a 10 day license.

Look at the following from Tanzania hunting guidelines i have found -- Prices for the animals will need to be obtained from the PH or outfitter you are looking to go with.
Species
Hunting Area
Days Required
Baboon
All
Buffalo
All
Bushbuck
All
Bushpig
All
Civet Cat
All
Crocodile
All except RIN & MB
Dik Dik
All except MB, R2, M, MN
Duiker
All
Eland
All
Elephant
All
Genet
All
Greater Kudu
All except M & MN
Grysbok
MB, R2, UG
Hartebeest Lichenstein's
All
Hippopotamus
All
Hyena Spotted
All
Impala
All except M & MN
Jackal
All except MB, R2, RIN
Klipspringer
RIN
Leopard
All
Lion
All
Oribi
All except MB, R2, M & MN
Porcupine
All
Ratel (Honey Badger)
All
Reedbuck Southern
All except RIN
Reedbuck Bohor
M & MN
Roan Antelope
All except MB & R2
Sable Antelope
All
Serval Cat
All except MB & R2
Sitatunga
M & MN
Topi
All except MB, R2 & RIN
Warthog
All
Waterbuck - common
MB, R2, RIN
Waterbuck - Defassa
All except MB, R2, RIN
Wild Cat
All except M & MN
Wildebeest (white bearded)
L & B
Wildebeest (Nyasa)
MB, R2
Zebra
All
Zorilla
All except MB & R2
Birds
All

James,

Thanks for the response. Why the high prices on daily rates and minimum time being 10 days with a limited quota? I am assuming that is government driven. Thanks again for taking the time to share.

dt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AundreaHal

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.