Talley fixed rings vs EAW pivot mount on à new Mauser M98??

Talley fixed rings vs EAW pivot mount on à new Mauser M98??
My vote goes to the EAW pivot mount if your rifle has open sights. Is it a new production M98 from the company Mauser? I’m of the opinion that all rifles should have open sights and if they are scoped then the scope should be able to be removed quickly so they can be used.

My vote goes to the EAW pivot mount if your rifle has open sights. Is it a new production M98 from the company Mauser? I’m of the opinion that all rifles should have open sights and if they are scoped then the scope should be able to be removed quickly so they can be used.
Hi Wish...
Yes it is, Mauser M98 from Mauser. It has open sights

EAW. Talley QD could be an option, but depending on the scope, you may find that they force you to mount it too far forward.

EAW. Talley QD could be an option, but depending on the scope, you may find that they force you to mount it too far forward.
WAB; It is a Swarovski Z6i 1,7-10x42. Is Talley QD ”bettet” over Fixed?

WAB; It is a Swarovski Z6i 1,7-10x42. Is Talley QD ”bettet” over Fixed?

Talley QD are excellent and if you have iron sights and would like to use them I would go with Talley. I have personal experience with this gun/mount combo. I swapped out Talley mounts for EAW because my scope has a front bell. The EAW allowed me to mount the scope 1/2” further to the rear which I needed.

Another thing to be aware of, the bolt will not clear that scope with Talley low rings. The eyepiece is just too large. I found this out from experience as well.

Bottom line, that scope will mount 1/2” further back and clear the bolt handle with the EAW system. With Talley’s you will have to go 1/2” further forward and use a higher ring.

Both systems work. The EAW pivot system is decidedly more complicated and really needs to be installed by a competent gunsmith who has done if before. Depending how often you mount and dismount the scope it is also theoretically possible for the front pivot to loosen over time. Talley makes the most user friendly. They are also manufactured to a very high standard of quality. Call the company directly, tell them the rifle scope combination, and they will tell you which ring height to purchase. They are a first class outfit.

Talley makes a superb quick detachable mount.

Both systems work. The EAW pivot system is decidedly more complicated and really needs to be installed by a competent gunsmith who has done if before. Depending how often you mount and dismount the scope it is also theoretically possible for the front pivot to loosen over time. Talley makes the most user friendly. They are also manufactured to a very high standard of quality. Call the company directly, tell them the rifle scope combination, and they will tell you which ring height to purchase. They are a first class outfit.

Thanks for the info! Wrote a message to Talley. Let's see what they answer.

92EB67DB-694E-4C42-9C9B-05B0AE376C3F.jpeg

Talley QD are excellent and if you have iron sights and would like to use them I would go with Talley. I have personal experience with this gun/mount combo. I swapped out Talley mounts for EAW because my scope has a front bell. The EAW allowed me to mount the scope 1/2” further to the rear which I needed.

Another thing to be aware of, the bolt will not clear that scope with Talley low rings. The eyepiece is just too large. I found this out from experience as well.

Bottom line, that scope will mount 1/2” further back and clear the bolt handle with the EAW system. With Talley’s you will have to go 1/2” further forward and use a higher ring.

It's another thing I've come across, what height should you have ..., just so that problem does not arise!

It's another thing I've come across, what height should you have ..., just so that problem does not arise!

With that specific scope rifle combination the interference was small (in measurement) but total in that it completely prevented the operation of the bolt. I would think the next height up would be fine. I just grabbed another set of Talley’s out of the drawer (I have a bunch!) and mounted the scope. I love Talley’s and use them extensively. Depending on where you like your scope mounted, you may find the EAW better in this application. The Talley’s forced me to creep the stock a bit as the scope was about 1/2” too far forward. The EAW’s completely resolved this.

Yes, they also make a fixed version of their rings. I much prefer the takedowns. These are Talley mounts on a .404.

Custom .404 Jeffery by Craig Libhart
Great looking set up. I recently purchased a 404 built on a GMA double square bridge action. It looks like your set up is also a double square. Did you just have Talley base blanks drilled and tapped or is there a better way?

You could also consider the Hexalock mounts if you go with a QD style set up. I have these on my HS and am happy so far.

Great looking set up. I recently purchased a 404 built on a GMA double square bridge action. It looks like your set up is also a double square. Did you just have Talley base blanks drilled and tapped or is there a better way?
Sadly no. The builder created this rifle around a modified CZ action.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KatrinaLen

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,