Talley fixed rings vs EAW pivot mount on à new Mauser M98??

Wishfulthinker580

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Talley fixed rings vs EAW pivot mount on à new Mauser M98??
My vote goes to the EAW pivot mount if your rifle has open sights. Is it a new production M98 from the company Mauser? I’m of the opinion that all rifles should have open sights and if they are scoped then the scope should be able to be removed quickly so they can be used.

Norden-hunt

AH member
Reaction score
My vote goes to the EAW pivot mount if your rifle has open sights. Is it a new production M98 from the company Mauser? I’m of the opinion that all rifles should have open sights and if they are scoped then the scope should be able to be removed quickly so they can be used.
Hi Wish...
Yes it is, Mauser M98 from Mauser. It has open sights

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
EAW. Talley QD could be an option, but depending on the scope, you may find that they force you to mount it too far forward.

Norden-hunt

AH member
Reaction score
EAW. Talley QD could be an option, but depending on the scope, you may find that they force you to mount it too far forward.
WAB; It is a Swarovski Z6i 1,7-10x42. Is Talley QD ”bettet” over Fixed?

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
WAB; It is a Swarovski Z6i 1,7-10x42. Is Talley QD ”bettet” over Fixed?

Talley QD are excellent and if you have iron sights and would like to use them I would go with Talley. I have personal experience with this gun/mount combo. I swapped out Talley mounts for EAW because my scope has a front bell. The EAW allowed me to mount the scope 1/2” further to the rear which I needed.

Another thing to be aware of, the bolt will not clear that scope with Talley low rings. The eyepiece is just too large. I found this out from experience as well.

Bottom line, that scope will mount 1/2” further back and clear the bolt handle with the EAW system. With Talley’s you will have to go 1/2” further forward and use a higher ring.

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Both systems work. The EAW pivot system is decidedly more complicated and really needs to be installed by a competent gunsmith who has done if before. Depending how often you mount and dismount the scope it is also theoretically possible for the front pivot to loosen over time. Talley makes the most user friendly. They are also manufactured to a very high standard of quality. Call the company directly, tell them the rifle scope combination, and they will tell you which ring height to purchase. They are a first class outfit.

Talley makes a superb quick detachable mount.

Norden-hunt

AH member
Reaction score
Both systems work. The EAW pivot system is decidedly more complicated and really needs to be installed by a competent gunsmith who has done if before. Depending how often you mount and dismount the scope it is also theoretically possible for the front pivot to loosen over time. Talley makes the most user friendly. They are also manufactured to a very high standard of quality. Call the company directly, tell them the rifle scope combination, and they will tell you which ring height to purchase. They are a first class outfit.

Thanks for the info! Wrote a message to Talley. Let's see what they answer.

Norden-hunt

AH member
Reaction score

92EB67DB-694E-4C42-9C9B-05B0AE376C3F.jpeg

Norden-hunt

AH member
Reaction score
Talley QD are excellent and if you have iron sights and would like to use them I would go with Talley. I have personal experience with this gun/mount combo. I swapped out Talley mounts for EAW because my scope has a front bell. The EAW allowed me to mount the scope 1/2” further to the rear which I needed.

Another thing to be aware of, the bolt will not clear that scope with Talley low rings. The eyepiece is just too large. I found this out from experience as well.

Bottom line, that scope will mount 1/2” further back and clear the bolt handle with the EAW system. With Talley’s you will have to go 1/2” further forward and use a higher ring.

It's another thing I've come across, what height should you have ..., just so that problem does not arise!

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Reactions: WAB

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
It's another thing I've come across, what height should you have ..., just so that problem does not arise!

With that specific scope rifle combination the interference was small (in measurement) but total in that it completely prevented the operation of the bolt. I would think the next height up would be fine. I just grabbed another set of Talley’s out of the drawer (I have a bunch!) and mounted the scope. I love Talley’s and use them extensively. Depending on where you like your scope mounted, you may find the EAW better in this application. The Talley’s forced me to creep the stock a bit as the scope was about 1/2” too far forward. The EAW’s completely resolved this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LenaL19403

Latest profile posts

Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.
Rickmt wrote on Leica Sport Optics's profile.
will Leica Amplus 6-2.5x15x50 fit on a pro success Blaser with low mount?