Taking a kid on Safari

B.Slash(B/), I didn't see the ages of your children posted in this thread. I have a couple of questions for you. Do your kids hunt with you now? Do they use their own firearm or bow? Are they spending quality time with Dad and simply "observing?" Sitting a long time in a blind is going to be boring. My youngest grandson who is now 11 has been hunting with us since the age of 5 and loves every minute of it. He brings an iPad to the stand but is very vigilant about seeing deer in the shooting lanes and or fields. He took his first deer with a 6.5 X 55 Swedish Mauser at the age of 9.
@Shootist43 my boys are 4 and 3. The 4 year old has been on a few bow hunts with me and loves it. I am planning on taking them in the future but wasn't sure what age would be ideal. I am having to plan pretty far out becasue of the unflexible nature of my career.

Based off the feedback I'm thinking we will plan a trip with them when the youngest is around 13.

Thanks everyone for the input. I really enjoyed everyone's stories about their trips with their kids, certainly gives me something to look forward to!

What age is the best to take a kid on their first trip to Africa? What ages for observers and what age to hunt? My wife and I would like to take the whole family (4 of us total) and we want it to be a memorable experience for our boys.

When I was working in Northern Kenya I was told to bring my family next time and let the Samburu take them out to the bush. Not sure my wife would go for that but I know my sons would love it.
@B.Slash(B/)
Any age above 5 is a great time. Depending on the ages of your boys they would learn a lot from the Samburu, both the ways of life in the bush and knowledge of a different culture. They would learn pride and humility and have a greater appreciation of life with little and the joys that can bring.
My son was 14 when we went to an underprivileged school in Namibia. It was a real eye opener for him and has given him a deeper understanding of what it takes to bring real joy to your life without being materialistic. He also learnt a lot more about tracking from our trackers than I could teach him. All these people were mentors in his life that all kids should have.
For your children to have this experience with the Sumburu is a gift to them and hopefully an enjoyable experience. It is a gift far greater than any you realise.
Bob

Took my son this past sept. he was nine.....this is one of his five trophies , we had a wonderful time....

View attachment 446267
@zip4644
The blood on his face indicates it was his first animal in Africa. My son got the same treatment with his first game. Congratulations to the young fella
Bob

@zip4644
The blood on his face indicates it was his first animal in Africa. My son got the same treatment with his first game. Congratulations to the young fella
Bob
thank you Sir, and as far as the blood on his face goes, he had read that that was customary and insisted that it be done....was a truly great experience and "He" is making plans to go back next year. lol

My kids have been on game drives and hunts from a few weeks old. I once had to do a u turn and back off from I lioness that showed to much interest in my month old sons little squeeks. I think you need to think age appropriate hunting safaris. Most young kids can manage a couple of hours driving around a hunting area and will have a blast. They will get grumpy and cry if you do long hot hours. Older kids can handle more time on the truck. You also need to take into account the area-a plainsgame hunting trip in South Africa will be easier on kids than an elephant or buffalo hunt in Mozambique or Zimbabwe.

My 13 year old will walk all day without complaint. My 11 year old will also walk all day but may complain and get grumpy at around lunchtime. That is in 40-45 deg heat in Zambezi valley or Save Conservancy. You cant push them too hard but they are very capable of hunting on foot, I would let them get back to camp and have lunch and a swim. They have done all day rhino capture in the heat without a sound and they were about 7 and 9 years old then. They measured rhinos temperatures and nearly got run over by the drugged mother as she recovered and then to make their day, a helicopter ride back at the end of the day while i kept my brother company as we drove back to the house.

I took my son, when he was 14. Great trip and experience
But after that, in following years, he gets more keen to play station, then going with me hunting.
@mark-hunter
That's a shame mate. My son went to Namibia at 14 and is now 17.Even tho my son spends time doing stuff on the computer and being with his mates and has his drivers licence when I ask him if he wants to go hunting he is at the gun shed before I can even get the keys to unlock it. I suppose I'm lucky he still wants to hunt with me.
Bob

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen
You are lucky man! Btw my son and yours are same age then.
@mark-hunter
pity we don't live in the same area.
when my son and I plus a mate and his son go hunting my son insists ongoing where there not internet or phone connection. If there is it he spend time on both. No connection more hunting is his idea.
Bob

As for the best age to take kids, I think it depends on the kids themselves. Some kids might be ready for a full-on safari adventure at a young age, while others might not be up for it until they're a bit older. I suggest observing how your boys react to new experiences and adjusting accordingly.Remember the potential impact on their mental health, especially with hunting involved. It's important to have open and honest conversations about what to expect and to ensure they're comfortable with it.Another thing to consider is foster care support in case the experience turns out to be too intense for them.

What age is the best to take a kid on their first trip to Africa? What ages for observers and what age to hunt? My wife and I would like to take the whole family (4 of us total) and we want it to be a memorable experience for our boys.

When I was working in Northern Kenya I was told to bring my family next time and let the Samburu take them out to the bush. Not sure my wife would go for that but I know my sons would love it.
I think about the same time they start hunting here.

Thing with me though I'm in a dangerous game zone right now. I won't take my kids on a dangerous game hunt. Only plains game right now.

We took our then 16 year old daughter on her first safari last year... she had a great time, a successful hunt, and is going back with us again this july to hunt again...

A good buddy of mine is heading over with us this year with his wife and his 6 year old daughter (she'll be 7 by the time we get there).. I am doubtful she will hunt.. but she'll be in the truck observing..

I think I took my kids starting at age 10. I don't think it was too soon, if anything it was too late.

The stimuli of video games, sports, girls, and being basically mindless drones is powerful. Getting a kid obsessed about Africa, reading, selecting a gun, building ammo, studying the shots, looking at maps, planning for gear, planning for tourism, and experience 2-3 weeks unplugged is the only time a modern kid uses what we would describe as "normal" cognitive skills.

We forget the kids today know nothing we knew at their ages by default. Things they statistically will see for the first time in Africa that most of us saw regularly growing up:

1.) Poverty and sense of personal blessings
2.) Manual labor and appreciation for how goods actually get made
3.) Flat tires and how to fix them
4.) How to read a map
5.) How to take a photograph
6.) How to read a paper-based book
7.) How to read an atlas
8.) How to eat a food you've never seen before
9.) How to find joy without technology
10.) How to explore
11.) How to have a lengthy dinner conversation
12.) How to be helpful

As an employer of millenials and a parent of zoomers, I have to tell you thigns are getting far, far worse. We have generations of useless/helpless/ignorant people that have never faced nor conquered "adversity" (read the mildest of inconveniences). Africa is a key experience to center kids on what they are in this world (nothing much) and how good they have it (the poorest reader of this forum is a global 1% wage earner).

Every year I see older and older kids rolling into hunters ed because parents didn't think junior was "read for it". Its now theater of the absurd, kids are being introduced to hunting and outdoor pursuits at the SAME AGE as we were sending boys to die in the Vietnam war. We've retarded the development of our whole society.

Get your kids to experience the real world and teach them the life skills that were commonplace growing up a Boomer or GenXer.

I think I took my kids starting at age 10. I don't think it was too soon, if anything it was too late.

The stimuli of video games, sports, girls, and being basically mindless drones is powerful. Getting a kid obsessed about Africa, reading, selecting a gun, building ammo, studying the shots, looking at maps, planning for gear, planning for tourism, and experience 2-3 weeks unplugged is the only time a modern kid uses what we would describe as "normal" cognitive skills.

We forget the kids today know nothing we knew at their ages by default. Things they statistically will see for the first time in Africa that most of us saw regularly growing up:

1.) Poverty and sense of personal blessings
2.) Manual labor and appreciation for how goods actually get made
3.) Flat tires and how to fix them
4.) How to read a map
5.) How to take a photograph
6.) How to read a paper-based book
7.) How to read an atlas
8.) How to eat a food you've never seen before
9.) How to find joy without technology
10.) How to explore
11.) How to have a lengthy dinner conversation
12.) How to be helpful

As an employer of millenials and a parent of zoomers, I have to tell you thigns are getting far, far worse. We have generations of useless/helpless/ignorant people that have never faced nor conquered "adversity" (read the mildest of inconveniences). Africa is a key experience to center kids on what they are in this world (nothing much) and how good they have it (the poorest reader of this forum is a global 1% wage earner).

Every year I see older and older kids rolling into hunters ed because parents didn't think junior was "read for it". Its now theater of the absurd, kids are being introduced to hunting and outdoor pursuits at the SAME AGE as we were sending boys to die in the Vietnam war. We've retarded the development of our whole society.

Get your kids to experience the real world and teach them the life skills that were commonplace growing up a Boomer or GenXer.
Add to the list an experience they will have but we never did - going to the gas station to fill a gallon tank with killowatts when they run out.

There is no right answer. It's up to you and your family, but he was 7 here.
IMG_9062.JPG

There is a PH here in Zim whose son also wants to be a PH. He is 11 years old and has shot two buff bulls and an elephant. He is quite small framed too.
Having said that we took my buddie's son out air rifle shooting when he was about 10, he shot a dove but was very uncomfortable and wouldn't partake of the roasted bird. At 19 he was a learner PH and had an elephant under his belt. It can take time and I think shouldn't be forced.

A family safari in Africa has so much to offer beyond hunting... Family safaris can and should include non-hunting excursions like visits to the National Parks and game preserves where the entire family can experience up close and personal interactions with elephants, cheetahs, and many other animals.

We also encourage and facilitate visits to the local school and village where the family will get to spend time with he local children and see first-hand how their culture lives and learns. Many of our guests get great satisfaction by donating game meat, school supplies, and other essential items to the school during their visits. It's a very educational and rewarding experience for everyone involved.

At Limcroma Safaris we put families and especially the children, high on our priority list. In combination with game drives and photo safaris around Limcroma's lodges, our latest addition to our non-hunting activity list is our Nature Conservation Education program. This consists of a fun-filled, one-day activity, where our qualified field guides will host our guests on an educational, hands-on bush outing where they will interact with the flora & fauna of our own unique Limpopo biomes. Limcroma's NCE course will leave all who partake with a greater knowledge, understanding, and a new perspective on hunting, the wildlife, and the roles they play in conservation.

The right age to go on safari is really a family decision. I can tell you that we host dozens of families each season with the children as young as 6 years, but the kids aged from 8 and older seem to really get the most from their safari experiences. For many of our pre-teen & teenage guests, an African safari can be a life-changing experience that they will never forget!

Our guests visiting the village's local school
View attachment 446354

View attachment 446355

Our Nature & Conservation tour in action​
New hunters for life!
Well done, very stout effort.

Having said that we took my buddie's son out air rifle shooting when he was about 10, he shot a dove but was very uncomfortable and wouldn't partake of the roasted bird. At 19 he was a learner PH and had an elephant under his belt. It can take time and I think shouldn't be forced.

That's a potential possible approach in Africa, different culture. In America, its kill or be killed, and an emotionally fragile child unwilling to take on new things with confidence will be destroyed. Our society will eat that kid.

Those are the kids that become marxists and live at home until they are 30 years old because they couldn't cut it at ten-twelve-fourteen years old.

You have to realize in America children are very soft and the real world is very competitive. A generation isn't making the cut and its sending ripples across society as they try to rewrite the rules to suit their bad habits. (pay me more, let me work less, I don't want to be talented/dedicated, etc.)

I'm getting a bit sociological here, but the point is that a weak kid becomes a weak adult. We live in the only generation in history where this weakness is viewed as virtue. Kids are so maladjusted as to their talents/skills/abilities they fail at life when they realize just how underwhelming they are in virtually every facet. A select few of those realize they'll never be famous and choose to become infamous as a close proxy.

Africa is a great catalyst for an honest appraisal of self, empathy for the hardship of others, and realignment of one's personal values.

It is never too late either. My two daughters, 30 and 32 are accompanying us on our upcoming Scotland hunt, one wants a stag and a brace of grouse to get half way through our Carruther's Challenge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelbertBat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross