Swift A-Frame question...

I have been developing a 375 h and h load. I switched from 300 grain Dgx to 300 grain aframes and had to back the load off 4 grains because of pressure signs....sticky bolt and a jump in velocity.

I have been developing a 375 h and h load. I switched from 300 grain Dgx to 300 grain aframes and had to back the load off 4 grains because of pressure signs....sticky bolt and a jump in velocity.

Thank you Buck51 that's exactly what I was after.

Cheers,

Russ

russ,
140 gn 7mm swifts use the same load as 140 gn partitions, 140 gn, sierra 140 gn woodleigh pp, in my 280, and all shoot to same point of aim.
286 gn swifts the same as 286 partitions in 9.3 x 64..
velocities almost exactly the same as well.
be advised to check ogive relationship to rifling, as jammed bullets can boost pressure.
just goes to show, you really have to do the yard yourself to get the answer for YOUR situation.
bruce.

russ,
140 gn 7mm swifts use the same load as 140 gn partitions, 140 gn, sierra 140 gn woodleigh pp, in my 280, and all shoot to same point of aim.
286 gn swifts the same as 286 partitions in 9.3 x 64..
velocities almost exactly the same as well.
be advised to check ogive relationship to rifling, as jammed bullets can boost pressure.
just goes to show, you really have to do the yard yourself to get the answer for YOUR situation.
bruce.

Thank you for your reply Bruce - I appreciate it (y)

Russ

I my limited reloading experience over almost 29 years I have and done some stupid things when reloading but came to realize very quickly every rifle is unique even if it is from the same factory and batch.

So when I start reloading for a new bullet I start at around 70% mark between min and max and see what happens do I get speed faster or slower than expected and take it from there.
Nowadays it is much easier with Quickload and Gordon's reloading tool to have a a good idea what to expect and saves some time and money.

But most importantly is to test loads with a chrony although cases can look good and you can have a non sticky bolt to measure if you are over the max speed is the real only way to find out if your temping an accident or playing safe.

I have made less stupid mistakes in the last 20 years when using a chrony and measuring.

But to answer your question on what I have seen and helped to reload most of the times the Swift A frames get faster pressure than conventional bullets with lead cores

not quite the case bob.
i use sierra, nosler partition, and other bullets where they are best for the job.
however, swifts shine a brighter light in certain circumstances.
if you could afford them they would be the best all round hunting bullet available, but sometimes a humble speer is just as good and cheaper.
nothing wrong with cup and core where they work.
the thing i avoid the most is plastic tipped bullets for all but varmint shooting.
bruce.

not quite the case bob.
i use sierra, nosler partition, and other bullets where they are best for the job.
however, swifts shine a brighter light in certain circumstances.
if you could afford them they would be the best all round hunting bullet available, but sometimes a humble speer is just as good and cheaper.
nothing wrong with cup and core where they work.
the thing i avoid the most is plastic tipped bullets for all but varmint shooting.
bruce.
@bruce moulds
I was looking at a box of 120grain 25 cal A Frame for 82 dollars. The 100 grain Barnes TTSX are 98 dollars. Thought about it but no.
The 117 grain SST is a brilliant bullet in my 25 a nd groups 0.9 inches at 200 yards. It is dynamite on pigs, goats and deer. Cheap and very effective. It expands quickly and holds together well at ranges over 150 yards, under that it's a bit explosive and tends to ruin a lot of smaller game. A small 30 kg pig would have been great on the spot but when we picked it up the front leg and half the rib cage just stayed on the ground. No spit roast that night.
Bob

bruce.

Bingo.

Yes, it is indeed the difference in the/any two bullet designs and the ogive-land relationship but not necessarily "the bullet" itself causing the pressure difference.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunnyOkn64

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois