Survey do you tip the owner if he is your Professional Hunter?

Do you tip the owner if he is your PH?

• Yes - always

Votes: 72 91.1%
  • Yes - only if something truly exceptional occurs

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Yes - only when hunting dangerous game

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 6.3%

• Total voters

singleshot

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Life Member SCI, Life member Sables, Life Member NRA; GOA, .....
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Zambia
I posted this poll on another forum and I was wondering if I would get different answers on this forum. I ask if you have already completed the poll/survey on the other forum that you refrain from completing this poll. I should also ask outfitters, and PH's not to respond to the poll but free to comment.

Thank you,

Jim

I asked my PH, who is also the owner, how he wanted to be tipped? He said it was not necessary! He asked that I tip his apprentice, but I already planned to.

I ended up tipping my PH/owner with cash anyway and 2 Boxes of custom Barnes ammo because he asked. One box of 20 in .375 H&H TSX .270 Grain and one box in .243 TTSX 80 Grain.

I also left a new pair of size 12 Wide- Timberland Goretex lined boots for whomever he thought could use them. This trip I brought several gifts: knives - Bubba knives, pocket knifes, 20 new hats, shirts, game bags, derma glue/skin glue and a few other gifts. I never consider gifts tips!

I did struggle with the idea of how to ask him about his tip. I even reached out to a couple people for opinions.

Good Topic/Post!

Thanks

I answered yes - always...

I have had some owner/guides tell me its not necessary, or ask me to tip someone else, etc.. but if the owner acts as my actual PH/guide for the duration of my hunt, I treat them just like I would any other PH.. the tip reflects the level/quality of service given, and conforms (the best I know how) to whatever is the societal norm for that country/camp, etc..

As a rule I also bring gifts on most of my hunts... I am a hobbyist knifemaker, so I'll usually knock out a couple of things to gift to PH's, skinners, trackers, etc.. I usually bring a couple of inexpensive/throw away type spare flashlights, or the little $5.99 cabelas branded multi-tools, `etc.. that I will gift to the skinners/trackers/camp staff, etc at the end of the trip.. and if there is any ammo left over in a caliber I know someone in camp could use, I'll typically leave it behind as well.. Its pretty amazing small things like these, that only cost a couple of dollars are well received and appreciated..

If Im already going to be in a cabelas anyway.. whats an additional $15 in spend in the scope of the total cost of an international hunt.. knowing how much good will and appreciation it brings?

Two owner PHs I hunted with told me NO to tipping them, but yes to tipping all the help and extra PHs on the hunt. Both were fairly emphatic on just paying the hunt cost to them.

Do you tip the owner of the restaurant, the owner of the garage where your mechanic works, the owner of the dealership where you buy your car? Same scenario in my book. Package deal/day rate/a carte/trophy fees, same deal. YMMV.

I asked my PH, who is also the owner, how he wanted to be tipped? He said it was not necessary! He asked that I tip his apprentice, but I already planned to.

I ended up tipping my PH/owner with cash anyway and 2 Boxes of custom Barnes ammo because he asked. One box of 20 in .375 H&H TSX .270 Grain and one box in .243 TTSX 80 Grain.

I also left a new pair of size 12 Wide- Timberland Goretex lined boots for whomever he thought could use them. This trip I brought several gifts: knives - Bubba knives, pocket knifes, 20 new hats, shirts, game bags, derma glue/skin glue and a few other gifts. I never consider gifts tips!

I did struggle with the idea of how to ask him about his tip. I even reached out to a couple people for opinions.

Good Topic/Post!

Thanks
Going on my first trip and found it interesting you took gifts. For whom?

@singleshot

On the poll, I clicked yes -always. But the tip required as per owner/outfitter/PH is 100 eur. (its not comparable to some tips, that some clients are confirming to be in 4 digit number)

Various locations different tipping.
Outfitters specializing with European hunters, will expect less tipping - that I describe as "reasonable", in general.

Ignorance and culture play a major role.
Do we tip everywhere the same?
Do we tip Tanzania concession outfitter, or farm owner in Namibia the same?
You are oil business CEO, or you are blue collar worker saving for safari hunt for last five years?

You are coming from Europe, or you are coming from Texas?
Different tipping cultures.

Personally I hate tipping.
It can easily come under hidden expense clause. In my opinion: Should be determined. And if not clear, ask outfitter what is expected. Then, put it on planned budget. This is another burden in planning safari. The things could be more simple. Tipping is grey area of safari business.

Last edited:
I have only been on one safari but my ph was the owner and I always planned on tipping the ph anyway. I brought him a Warne winch for his truck ( on his request) and he fell right in love with my binoculars and 4 Stable Sticks so I left those too. A few more blue C notes and we were both happy campers. I guess if he would have insisted that I don't tip him , I would have just gave him the winch, which is harder to get in Limpopo than in Pennsylvania.
To me it made no difference that he was the owner, he was still my personal ph

yes

Every outfitter/owner I have hunted with has said no to tipping them. So I don't.

I had to mark Yes, allways, because I have only been on "safari", once. The owner, operator, guide, chaufeur (sic?) sometimes cook and tour guide was all in one. He is a very small operator, but certainly puts everything in to it. From the time we booked...after two year delays, he didnt move our agreed upon price a dime, even though I know darn well he took a huge hit. I couldnt figure out how he made a dime. I wish I could have tipped him double what I did.

It’s a minimal expense in comparison to everything else associated with a hunt. Plus a tip of any amount helps any PH, owner or not tremendously. Remember these guys have several months of downtime each year where they aren’t generating revenue.

Yes.
My PH has been the owner on all my trips
If he has to be away a day or so and I hunt with another ph so be it.
I tip them all the same each day of the safari.
You tip on a daily basis? :unsure:

That could be exhausting on a Zim hunt as you could have a staff of 9 or so.

I tip the owner if he is my PH, simply because he’s doing the work. If I was hunting a property with a PH that worked for the outfitter / landowner, the PH would get the tip, not the outfitter. I realize the outfitter may do some hosting and socializing as well as supervising the staff but that is the basics you’re paying for. Staff definitely gets tipped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlynnHeini

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.