Suggestions on binoculars

It’s all about what you can afford. What is your budget? If you don’t spend at least $1000 you will be disappointed most likely. $3000 would be much much better.
Remember you get what you pay for.
I would strictly stick to Swarovski, Leica, & Zeiss. There are in a class by themselves.
Happy shopping!
Philip

It’s all about what you can afford. What is your budget? If you don’t spend at least $1000 you will be disappointed most likely. $3000 would be much much better.
Remember you get what you pay for.
I would strictly stick to Swarovski, Leica, & Zeiss. There are in a class by themselves.
Happy shopping!
Philip
The OP decided (his word was "settled") on the Vortex Fury HD 5000 10x42.

My only comment to the OP is to never allow yourself to look through Swaro, Leica or Zeiss binos for sake of your bank account. Buy once, cry once is not always an easy lesson to learn.

Congratulations on your purchase. The Vortex Fury’s have some great reviews. I think you’ll be happy with them, but as others have said the high end binos are something special.

I have been using Zeiss 10X40B glass for many years. Never disappointed.

Congrats on your purchase. I have played the cheap game in binos for most of my early hunting time. Just over 10 years ago I purchased my first really nice binos—Leupold gold rings in 10x42. My ph in 2012 liked them better than his well worn 8x32 Leicas. I just got a new hd EL 10x42 Swarovski. As good as the Gold Rings are, the EL’s are in another class altogether. But I couldn’t bring myself to get the range version due to the limited warranty on the electronics. The glass will last forever!!(under warranty)!!

I see you folks mention the big 3(Zeiss, Swarovski, & Leica)... But, I'm surprised that no one ever mentions Steiner... I love the other 3, but I also really like Steiner... I'm a huge fan o' their Military Marine series(The Rubber Armoured ones)... The Glass in all 4 are made by Zeiss(The best there is)... The only real difference between them are Ergonomics & Features... One other interesting thing to note, is that people rarely, if ever mention whether they prefer Variable or Fixed Focus... I used to prefer Variable Focus Binoculars, until I started spending a great deal o' time at Sea... Out there virtually everyone uses Fixed Focus 7X50's... I will admit, that at 1st I really missed Variable Focus, but after using Fixed Focus Binoculars, extensively, I now prefer them to Variable Focus(I own both, I still use both, but, the Fixed Focus Binoculars really grew on me...) For me, the ultimate Binoculars for Safari Hunting, are the Steiner Military Marine 8X30 like this set in the picture I have attached(I'd love to find an old set o' the Steiner 8X30 Safari's from the 1980's) But, I love any o' the Rubber Armoured Fixed Focus 8X30's by the other Big 3... My 2 cents worth...

s-l300 (1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I see you folks mention the big 3(Zeiss, Swarovski, & Leica)... But, I'm surprised that no one ever mentions Steiner... I love the other 3, but I also really like Steiner... I'm a huge fan o' their Military Marine series(The Rubber Armoured ones)... The Glass in all 4 are made by Zeiss(The best there is)... The only real difference between them are Ergonomics & Features... One other interesting thing to note, is that people rarely, if ever mention whether they prefer Variable or Fixed Focus... I used to prefer Variable Focus Binoculars, until I started spending a great deal o' time at Sea... Out there virtually everyone uses Fixed Focus 7X50's... I will admit, that at 1st I really missed Variable Focus, but after using Fixed Focus Binoculars, extensively, I now prefer them to Variable Focus(I own both, I still use both, but, the Fixed Focus Binoculars really grew on me...) For me, the ultimate Binoculars for Safari Hunting, are the Steiner Military Marine 8X30 like this set in the picture I have attached(I'd love to find an old set o' the Steiner 8X30 Safari's from the 1980's) But, I love any o' the Rubber Armoured Fixed Focus 8X30's by the other Big 3... My 2 cents worth...

View attachment 437246
@USMA84DAB is a Steiner guy and a big fan of the fixed focus. As a former US Navy man, I've used them a number of times, but could never fully commit to not having a focus knob.

I will admit the glass on the Steiner binos are good, but from a feature an optical quality standpoint they are not made to compete with Swaro, Leica and Zeiss. IMO - Steiner occupies its own niche with durable, armored, fixed focus, high quality optics at a very reasonable price. Perfect for use on safari.

This! My Fiance took one look through mine.... And they weren't mine any longer.... so bought a another pair for myself. And a pair of Swarovski 10x25 pocket binos. Amazing quality for the size and so easy to carry.
Swaro pocket binos are the future, who needs a kilogram aroung their neck. Go light, go bright, go happy.

Swaro pocket binos are the future, who needs a kilogram aroung their neck. Go light, go bright, go happy.
I’ve had EL 8.5x42 since they came out. Absolutely superb. My wife had the x32. For a walk and stalk, the x32 are far better, in my opinion. From a stand or watching deer from my front window, the 42s are better. If I were going to own only one, it would the x32. Not quite as good in low light perhaps but so
Much more versatile.

@USMA84DAB is a Steiner guy and a big fan of the fixed focus. As a former US Navy man, I've used them a number of times, but could never fully commit to not having a focus knob.

I will admit the glass on the Steiner binos are good, but from a feature an optical quality standpoint they are not made to compete with Swaro, Leica and Zeiss. IMO - Steiner occupies its own niche with durable, armored, fixed focus, high quality optics at a very reasonable price. Perfect for use on safari.
Well put, Mate... Steiner's are certainly in a league o' their own... Amongst the toughest Binoculars ever made... Again it boils down to personal preference... If you like Rubber Armoured Fixed Focus Binoculars, you can't beat Steiner, for the money... But, I would never say a bad word about Zeiss, Swarovski or Leica... They all make fantastic Binoculars... One can't go wrong with either o' the 4 brands... It boils down to budget as well as features & personal preference... I'll never forget looking through a very small, compact, Rubber Armoured Spotting Scope at a Gunshow... It belonged to a fellow dealer, the building was huge, the far wall from his table was just over 100 yards away... With this Scope, you could literally see the hairs on a Mosquito's back at that distance! I told him it was the most powerful, crystal clear Optical Device o' that size, I'd ever looked through... He said "It oughta be, for 25 Grand!"... Turned out it was a top o' the line, Military Grade Swarovski, that he'd bought from the factory, when he was in Austria... It was at that moment that I gained a huge appreciation for high end Optics... I've never seen another Spotting Scope like that one, I have no idea what model it was, it may have even been a custom made one off, knowing the guy it belonged to... I'd love to own one like it, someday...(Although It'll likely be a long time, before I can ever afford one...)

I used Steiner’s for years and can’t fault them. I switched to Swarovski SLC 10x42’s this season. They are in another league!

If You want to go cheap and light Meopta Optika HD. If you want glass rivalling Zeiss, Swaro, etc. Meopta Meostar HD. If you want the best glass yet light bino, get a Leica. Even the Trinovid is good and light. Go for the magnesium body optics. Who wants to haul around a heavy glass. I really do like my Steiner focus free but it is bulky and heavy and also only 7x. So 10x42 Meopta will do until I save up for Trinovid/Ultravid.

Last edited:
Noting a decision has been made and the OP is happy I'm going to add this.

My PH had Leica with a range finder, clearly brighter and clearer than the loaners I had , but the loaners worked for the duration.

I read up on the Kahles binocular. I like Kahles, little mention on AH . It seems the binos are outsourced. I imagine the glass is quality but still not fully made by Kahles and still way over a grand.

I have Steiner compact binoculars. I got them on special. I read a lot, it's not always right but apparently Steiner originally started as a Binocular manufacturer.

I would like the Swarovski compacts as @Kevin Peacocke mentioned. I have only seen them in a shop.

I don't own anything Swarovski yet, I hope to. I find it clear and bright.

But I won't part with my 8x56 Kahles scope these have been highly regarded in Australia for years. Particularly for those who spotlight.

My PH had Leica with a range finder, clearly brighter and clearer than the loaners I had , but the loaners worked for the duration.

I read up on the Kahles binocular. I like Kahles, little mention on AH . It seems the binos are outsourced. I imagine the glass is quality but still not fully made by Kahles and still way over a grand.

I have Steiner compact binoculars. I got them on special. I read a lot, it's not always right but apparently Steiner originally started as a Binocular manufacturer.

I would like the Swarovski compacts as @Kevin Peacocke mentioned. I have only seen them in a shop.

But I won't part with my 8x56 Kahles scope these have been highly regarded in Australia for years. Particularly for those who spotlight.
Kahles most likely has Carl Zeiss Glass, as do Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski, & Steiner...

The very first thing you have to concider when buying binos is, what are you going to use them for, Glassing for Elk at frist light 600 yards away if much differnt than glassing whitetail deer in a food plot 150 yards away. On my only two safaris both of my PH's asked me to leave my Binos in the truck so I did. My binos are a pair of $150 Bushnell Bone Collector I got for my first farthers day and I was able to see everthing my dad did with his expesive Zeiss binos. I'm not saying that the quality of my binos are even close to a Zeiss, Swaro or Leica but I didn't need it either. Many of the people who responded to your post are "World Hunters" and have a real need for a Zeiss, Swaro or Leica, after logging hundreds of hours behind a PH all over the world they have learned to trust and appriciate the equipment used by their PH's. Before you buy your binos ask yourself this question, would you rather leave your $1500-$2000 in the truck or shoot an extra Kudu? One day I may buy a "Top End" set of binos but so far I have allways leaned towards the Kudu.

Kahles is owned by Swarovski. Same glass with different (less expensive) coatings.

...Before you buy your binos ask yourself this question, would you rather leave your $1500-$2000 in the truck or shoot an extra Kudu? One day I may buy a "Top End" set of binos but so far I have allways leaned towards the Kudu.
The two are not mutually exclusive though.

I just pulled the trigger on a Leica Geovid 10x42 3200.com when Sport Optics had their sales tax refund sale. Should be the last binocular/range finder I buy.

The two are not mutually exclusive though.

I just pulled the trigger on a Leica Geovid 10x42 3200.com when Sport Optics had their sales tax refund sale. Should be the last binocular/range finder I buy.
Famous last words...

Hunted today with the Swaro 15 X 56 - for Coues deer. Found no bucks today, but the glass is very good. Heavy, require a tripod, and they are fairly expensive. But when you need to glass for hours for bedded deer at 1/2 a mile or more, they are the deal. I will not take them to Africa as that optical power is not really needed... I will take my Zeiss rubber armored 10 X40s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandaokelle05

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg