Suggestions for how to hang Zebra rug on the wall?

Mine has been hanging on the wall for 25 years with the "ROCKET" method! That picture cracked me up!!:ROFLMAO:

Mine has been hanging on the wall for 25 years with the "ROCKET" method! That picture cracked me up!!:ROFLMAO:

I'd say that is enough proof that the "ROCKET" method works!!!!

I can't wait to get my zebra home and up on the wall....

Frank that is how I am going to attempt to get that Giraffe up.

Looks good.

Love this post! I need ideas. I opted not to include the head on my zebra skin and will definitely chose black suede over the black felt. The felt can fray over time as I have seen on some of my friend's skins. I was thinking about draping the zebra skin over a large red leather sofa I have in a mountain home. But seeing these photos....I'm now wondering if the skin will be too large for even this sofa. I would love to see more photos of how people used their skins. How about it folks? :)

And gorgeous knife, Gordon!

Eagerly awaiting the arrival of our zebra rug in December/January. We are planning on tacking it to the wall in the entry way/staircase of our bilevel home.

IMG_4052.JPG
Finally got some time in the shop and finished my pedestal for my blue wildebeest and the small quilt hangers for my Zebra rug. Uses 5 hangers and plan on adding one more and used some Velcro to hold the loose areas to the wall. Now my better half want's to paint the wall for a more dramatic effect. The great news is she is a phenomenal painter and my job is to just help tape put down drop cloths and get out of her way(y)
IMG_4052.JPG

Hi.

If it is felted it can be hung with black thumb tacks. Use a lot of them and it is solid as a rock. I did this and it held really well.

Good luck.

Sorry guys, that a turn away a little bit from the subject, but I prefer the Zebra on the floor and not on the wall. I received yesterday a handmade "Bushcraft" knife from a Swedish custom knife maker that I under here send a photo of, the handle is Mammoth tusk, and the blade is 130 mm damscus steel - rely razor sharp - !
View attachment 30113
Photo of ZEBRA - RIFLE - KNIFE -

Cheers, G
WOW impressive !

Sorry guys, that a turn away a little bit from the subject, but I prefer the Zebra on the floor and not on the wall. I received yesterday a handmade "Bushcraft" knife from a Swedish custom knife maker that I under here send a photo of, the handle is Mammoth tusk, and the blade is 130 mm damscus steel - rely razor sharp - !
View attachment 30113
Photo of ZEBRA - RIFLE - KNIFE -

Cheers, G

Love the steel used for the knife. What type of steel and who made the knife? Thanks for sharing the pohoto.

I sewed rings on the back of the hide in strategic places and used heavy duty picture hooks on the wall. Then I tacked the edges of the black felt with black upholstery tacks.

Looks great..well done.
Nice and FLAT against the wall.

Reviving an old thread

I would like to have my zebra flat skin mounted to the ceiling in my trophy room.

I don't have any wall space for it, and it will be ruined on the floor

I have paid it out on sheets of 3mm plyboard, which I can secure to the ceiling thru the gyprock into the beams, but how would you secure the skin to the plyboard?

I've thought about gluing the skin down onto boards, then securing the boards to the ceiling, with the skin on, or securing the boards to the ceiling, then trying to staple the skin up.

I think glued flat would probably give a more even, flatter finish, but I am concerned about the glue staining or damaging it

Any one done this?

Small black flat headed finishing nails. Available at Lee Valley or Home Depot. Put them in the black strips wherever you need them.

Zebra skins are surprisingly durable though. They can be walked on. That being said, I hung mine on the entry wall by the stairs in our bilevel. Takes up most of the wall.

Sorry for the photo quality.
This is how I hung my Zebra, Black Bear, Blue Wildebeest, Impala and Blesbuck hides on the wall.
I went to Lowes and got sheets of project plywood which is very thin and cheap. Then placed skins on the wood. Sometimes I need 2 pieces to fit the skin. I just overlapped them and used Gorilla Glue and air powered staple gun to join them. Then trace around the hide leaving a bit of wood showing. Cut the form out. Then after not doing the 1st one I found I liked it better when I painted the outer edge black. I had a bunch of spray cans of black but you could brush it on. When dry I used decorative brass tacks I got from Lowes to attach the felt or hide to the plywood. Then I took the whole thing into the house and with help from a friend holding it up on the wall I used my screw gun and 2"(or more) screws to screw the wood into the wall studs. I put the screws along the plywood edge so not to mess up the hide.

Bear resized.jpg
DSCN0049.JPG
DSC_0202.JPG
DSC_0210.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Ceiling hanging , Luan board cut to shape inserted in the rug under felt or leather and Contact cemented to the tanned akin and they held up with black ribbed paneling nails, if your putting in drywall ceiling in the black stripes so unseen. no edge , no exposed wood.

I am a fan of the Damask for zebra. But if I hunt Mtn Zebra this year I am leaning towards that or a rug. In any event look forward to seeing your hung up. My vote would be for d rings and the OOK hangers for where no studs are available. They hold 200 lbs on dry wall.

We received our trophy's from last years safari, and Karoo Taxidermany did and excellent job. We put everything up but our last item is a Zebra rug. Our two dogs like to nest in throw rugs and not sure what they would do with the zebra rug.
Looking for suggestions on the best way to hang the rug on a wall? at some point we will put it down a rug but not now.
I’m not sure I need help hanging my croc!
Put the zebra rug on the floor. Walk on it, live life on it, and go back in a few years and shoot another one!
Philip

I’ll be the contrarian, but have never liked rugs on the wall - Persian or zebra. My Hartman is leather backed, and is on the floor of the trophy room. It has held up very well for a decade. My largest black bear is under the pool table, another in a reading nook, and a blue wildebeest is in my bedroom. They would take up an enormous amount of wall space that I prefer to use for artwork. Pets are an issue, but none of our dogs have shown an interest in any hides - probably because they are too comfortable on the couch!:Banghead:

D rings yes for wall. Was responding to guy wanted it on ceiling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
profibrahim

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you