Stuck in Johannesburg

Glad everything is working out and you can't go wrong with Henry Griffith. Just curious as to which travel agency you used for your hunt.

if anyone is looking to get out Delta has a bunch of seats open departing thur 4/28 they added a temporary fuel top at Kotoka international airport which will let them go out full thurday night 95 seats are open

My recommendations came from experience. 2005 Zim safari, in bush for 18 days, long before cell or internet. Imagine PH surprise when he dropped us at Vic Falls airport to find it locked up. SAA was on strike and all airlines were honoring that. We spent 8 days in awesome Zim hotel on SAA account. Had a blast, then emergency flight to Joberg and again in a hotel. That's where shit happened, SAA said to "stand by and be available for an emergency exit flight", plus my wife was too scared after reading all the BS about how unsafe SA and Joberg was, so we stayed close to hotel, yes for another 12 days all while I had $10 K for unsuccessful leopard and kudu TF in pocket. That haunts me still today, why did I not go on a close SA hunt and burn that TF travellers cheques. One good thing, wife is now long gone. Now I hunt at EVERY opportunity presented.

@45bthompson you have done the RIGHT thing. I am sure your airline will be on hook for your return flights, even at a later date and after an unexpected bonus hunt. This is an unforeseen great reason to be on this awesome website.

MB

I’m scheduled to fly United from EWR to JNB next Tuesday, May 3rd, return on the 11th. Glad I saw your post, not real sure what to do now.

WOW!!!

Amazing help, support and recommendations from everyone. I've been reading this since it started, and it's Absolutely Amazing. I have to commend 45bthompson on for maintaining his composure in this event, and truly turning an unforeseen event into what will be an amazing trip.

But the best part of this has been everyone's suggestions, reaching out to friends and PH's they know to try and assist. This is way better than "paying it forward", it's truly helping out a fellow hunter who is stuck.

I have a quote that I've used for a couple of decades, " It's never an adventure while it's happening". While that usually fit's most of my work/excursions, I think it fit's here with a minor tweak, "It is an adventure while it is happening".

Fantastic outpouring of support!!

Agreed, @CraigV … AH members/sponsors/operators just Stepped Up & In w/ an impromptu display of caring wisdom & some - generosity, which is more a Brother/Sisterhood that goes way beyond a mere forum.

Reminds me of my quality years in U.S. Mil & filled w/ selfless service, critical thinkers & do’ers vs. mere bench sitters.

Happy Trails.

I’m scheduled to fly United from EWR to JNB next Tuesday, May 3rd, return on the 11th. Glad I saw your post, not real sure what to do now.
Hopefully, United will have a Plan B by then?

Spoke with Patrick at TWG this morning. I have a Houston to Newark to Joburg flight on May 16. He was fairly positive that it would all be straightened out by the end of this weekend. For what it’s worth.

Spoke with Patrick at TWG this morning. I have a Houston to Newark to Joburg flight on May 16. He was fairly positive that it would all be straightened out by the end of this weekend. For what it’s worth.

I’m on that route May 17. Hope he is right!

We are definitely making the best of it. We've been down by the pool drinking beer and booking a Giraffe and Zebra hunt in Limpopo. RIP bank account! Tomorrow we are doing a day tour to the cradle of humankind and a boat ride through some caves then on the 29th Henry Griffiths Safaris can pick us up for the hunt that Jimbo12 linked to earlier in this thread. I told my dad we are turning lemons into gold nuggets!
Glad to read that you are doing this, and kudos (or was it "kudus"?) to those who have offered you additional hunting and sightseeing venues. Don't worry about the bank account. You can always work hard and replace the money; but you cannot buy more time.

Through it all you have maintained a positive attitude and seem to understand the opportunity that has been presented to you. Someday when your father is no longer able to participate in these adventures, you will come to more fully appreciate the magnitude of this.

Just a quick update, I jumped on that Henry Griffiths zebra/giraffe cull hunt and he lined me up with Johan Van Wyk. Johan impressed us not only in his PH skills but also his attitude and values. He really is a class act. We are stateside now and should be home by this afternoon. Thank you to everyone here for the great advice. Our South Africa experience would've been squandered if not for this board.

@45bthompson My thinking is that the reason so many of our group has been so helpful is that many of us hope that some day we are in this same situation!!!

Should be fine by then

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross