www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
So I am 9 weeks out from my second trip to the Brazilian Amazon. Looks like we’ll be heading up the Rio Negro again. Last time we were pretty close to the Colombian border. Not sure exactly how far up we’ll go this time.
I went in 2014 and it was certainly the fishing trip to beat all fishing trips. Only thing was the whole time I was there I was thinking how freaking awesome it would be to battle one of those beast peacocks on a fly rod, well....... today I went and got a new fly fishing rig! I bought a Sage Salt 10weight with reel today, appropriate line and all the gear I will need (I hope) to pull this off.
My personal best from last trip was a touch over 19 1/2 lbs on a peacock bass. I’m hoping to meet or beat that this go round but with fly tackle! Truthfully even if I don’t come close to beating that just getting to be there and battle a few of those brutes on my new fly outfit will be worth the price of admission.
I ordered several flies and tied a few myself tonight. Getting excited but as always 9 weeks seems like an eternity.
7BF1455C-F973-476C-990C-8B4FC1C98538.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia
Awesome bud! We all look forward to pics and the report(y)

Ragman

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Canada(Sask./B.C.), Namibia, RSA(Eastern Cape) USA(Texas)
That will be epic! That's the top of my fishing bucket list right there, followed closely by a Florida saltwater fishing trip!

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
That will be epic! That's the top of my fishing bucket list right there, followed closely by a Florida saltwater fishing trip!
The Amazon is truly amazing. It’s a physically demanding trip though no doubt. I never thought fishing could be that much work but it is. However, it is well worth the effort.

jasyblood

Silver supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club
Hunted
USA, RSA(Limpopo x 4, Eastern Cape x 1, Northern Cape x 1, Northwest x 2), Hungary, Serbia, Zimbabwe
I hope you have an awesome trip and top that 19-1/2lb fish! That would be a blast on a fly rod!!

I've never been as far up the Rio Negro as it sounds like you're going....at least not from the Brazil side. Do you still charter into Barcelos from Manaus or somewhere further up river? Sao Gabriel maybe?

I'm looking at going back in Jan/Feb of 2021, but haven't decided yet who I'm going with....

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
Hunted
118E346F-3C95-4259-A742-7AF16D49D301.jpeg
I hope you have an awesome trip and top that 19-1/2lb fish! That would be a blast on a fly rod!!

I've never been as far up the Rio Negro as it sounds like you're going....at least not from the Brazil side. Do you still charter into Barcelos from Manaus or somewhere further up river? Sao Gabriel maybe?

I'm looking at going back in Jan/Feb of 2021, but haven't decided yet who I'm going with....
We flew out of Manaus for 2 or 3 hours and I don’t know that I was ever told the name of the little village we went to. It was a 2 hour boat ride up river to the “camp”. I asked the camp manager where in the hell we were and he chuckled, pointed up River, and said that we were about 400 miles down river from Columbia. Outside of that I really don’t know. This makes my Dad’s 7th trip, he has always used River Plate antlers and I really enjoyed it last time. They were a first class operation.
8EDEBCDA-52B0-4A77-8924-9CC3AF2CFF48.jpeg
F0B64A67-C483-4F3C-9CF1-7D7BCD43F3C5.jpeg
5DDCDC28-ABD2-42A5-8D9C-C435A086716B.jpeg
ACFF65CA-7459-4F04-9736-C36F4358CDCE.jpeg
3B7DB260-88B8-4100-A913-EC7EB7D4E9FF.jpeg
213074C3-6617-4B11-9187-088B5F73B5DE.jpeg
5D699B39-E9C8-41F9-BC50-9134A23B66F2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

jasyblood

Silver supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club
Hunted
USA, RSA(Limpopo x 4, Eastern Cape x 1, Northern Cape x 1, Northwest x 2), Hungary, Serbia, Zimbabwe
Yeah, I've looked at River Platte before...I've always thought that the floating cabins was in interesting concept.

Good luck on your trip and looking forward to hearing all about it! Hopefully with a pic of a 20lb+ fish!!!

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
Hunted
Yeah, I've looked at River Platte before...I've always thought that the floating cabins was in interesting concept.

Good luck on your trip and looking forward to hearing all about it! Hopefully with a pic of a 20lb+ fish!!!
Yessir! We may go again next year or the year after. If we do I’ll holler at you. It would be great if you jumped in with us.

Ridgewalker

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
OK, our expectations are 20+lbs! Let’s see you do it!
Looking forward to a report and pictures! Tell your dad his has to be 20 1/2lbs just to show up the kid!:ROFLMAO:

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
Hunted
OK, our expectations are 20+lbs! Let’s see you do it!
Looking forward to a report and pictures! Tell your dad his has to be 20 1/2lbs just to show up the kid!:ROFLMAO:
Not happening! He’s out fished me only once since I was about 12. There is always quite the heated competition between us when we go together.

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
Coincidentally I'm planning to go hunt the Rocking G in 9.5 weeks. Any AH member is welcome to join me at no charge for the 1st annual "see it and shoot it" Rocking G Extravaganza!

No cameras or pictures allowed.... :sneaky:

Wheels

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe
Sounds great! See ya then.

How many auodads are there now?

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
Sounds great! See ya then.

How many auodads are there now?

Nor sure, but we will count them up once the pile is done.

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
Hunted
Coincidentally I'm planning to go hunt the Rocking G in 9.5 weeks. Any AH member is welcome to join me at no charge for the 1st annual "see it and shoot it" Rocking G Extravaganza!

You’re a funny guy. :Finger: :Joyful:

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa

I call the upstairs bedroom and dibs on the night vision gear!

Wheels

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe
I call the upstairs bedroom and dibs on the night vision gear!

Are you planning to make the upstairs bedroom your high stand and shoot all night?

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
Are you planning to make the upstairs bedroom your high stand and shoot all night?

No the deck would be better for that, but the upstairs bedroom is closest to that.

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
No the deck would be better for that, but the upstairs bedroom is closest to that.

You do have to be able to distinguish pigs from calves with the nightgear....can get tricky sometimes

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
You do have to be able to distinguish pigs from calves with the nightgear....can get tricky sometimes

Not really all that hard to tell the difference once you walk up to them, and the calves eat better anyway.

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Not really all that hard to tell the difference once you walk up to them, and the calves eat better anyway.

The hard part is telling which calves belong to the local Game Warden, those you don't wanna shoot.... :A Banana Sad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurenLemo

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh