Stalking game

Josephjoon

Reaction score
Hi, I'm going on my first bowhunt safari in south africa for 10 days,June 2-12
Hoping to get a shot at Kudu, Zebra,Impala, Blesbuck. Gemsbuck,Nyala,Wildebeest...etc

I would be too bored to sit in the blind for too many days,and really want to get out there and try my luck and skill at stalking a few days.

So, Here are my questions for you gentlemen who've done it before,

What animals are easier to approach close enough for a shot?( I'm pretty good/confident up to 50-60 yards)

what animals are less likely to jump the string?

What Gillie suit , 3d camo and equipment do you recommend?

If you'd give me one tip, What would it be?

Thanks

Joesph, welcome to AH.

First a word of warning on that 50 to 60 yard shooting. Remember, if you wound something you pay for it.

Honestly, animals that have not been shot around waterholes are less likely to jump the string.
Impala have reflexes like you will have never seen before.

No idea on gillie suits.

Use the wind!

Joesph, welcome to AH.

First a word of warning on that 50 to 60 yard shooting. Remember, if you wound something you pay for it.

Honestly, animals that have not been shot around waterholes are less likely to jump the string.
Impala have reflexes like you will have never seen before.

No idea on gillie suits.

Use the wind!

Agree with Brick here, I was busted on 3 different stalks on Impala, (rifle hunting). They have reflexes like the have been drinking Red Bull for six weeks straight, and fast... Good luck my good man, not saying it will be impossible, but, easy it will not be.

To be honest, they are all pretty quick when they get spooked, just like any other game, world wide. Learn to whisper and walk softly. You will have a great time.

The later in RSA's hunting season and the closer to summer the harder it will be to walk and stalk as everything dries out and gets noiser and harder to get close. June should be a good time for a walk and stalk. I would also look seriously at the long shots. These animals are hunted 24/7 and their senses are the best so jumping string or moving on the shot is very high. Any camo will work or anything that will break up your outline. It is very tough to shoot a $2000+ trophy fee animal and then not find it and realize that $2000 just flew out into the bush. Also remember taht most of the plains game are herd animals and getting a shot at a waterhole at one single animal is hard and may be harder on a wlak and stalk with all those eyes. Should be a challenging hunt and a lot of fun, but also a lot of frustration. Good luck and let us know how you did.

I'd say blesbuck is your best bet walk and stalk with bow.

Enigma Camo is my preference, but I've always hunted a tad later in the year than June. It's awesome stuff.

In 2006, I arrowed 17 animals and nine were via spot and stalk. In 2008, I arrowed eight and all were via spot and stalk. It's very doable! Zebras are my nemesis followed closely by red hartebeest. From your list you should be able to get up on Kudu, nyala, gemsbuck, wildebeest, and blesbuck. Play the wind and take your time. Slow and easy....do not force your shots. I'll echoe what the rest have said, keep your shots within your effective range.

A tip: remain flexible

I spent 7 days walk and stalk and only took a large hartabeest bull and a warthog , but I was able to close both deals at 20 yards. Warthogs are the easeist in my opinion, this was my third trip so I decided to stalk but prefer blind hunting. I might add that if you have lots of action at your blind you won't be bored when you see a 100 plus animals and 6 or7 species.

i'm starting to bow hunt and i definitely dont want to go to the blind. it will be much harder to get something to hunt but i dont care;)

Its not going to be easy depending on where you go Gillie might be a problem with all the thorns, so normal camo would be better go as early as possible in the year game will be more relaxed and have not been hunted yet and the bush thick so more difficult to spot game but also easier to get close. Warthog would be the easiest they have bad eyesight.

Do not expect to shoot top trophies as your chances will be less than sitting at a hide and being picky those big guys didnt grow up by being stupid. It's all doable but can and will be frustating the most difficult on your list would be gemsbuck in my books.

Teenhunter, if you're 'starting to bowhunt', you're going to have some tough road ahead if you remain inflexible! Bowhunting is best achieved with an opportunistic outlook! Stalking techniques take years to perfect! Don't be so hard on your self! Take it as it comes! You may be sitting in a blind and see an animal that you want just not coming in close enough...so get out and stalk him! Hunting africa on a walk and stalk can be very tough with all the birds and different critters around you all the time! You may begin to care when you're on your second or third trip back to do the same thing over and over again! The costs mount up!
@ Josephjoon, 50 to 60 yard shots are not the thing to try out here...it gets very expensive on the blood trails! Stay within 30 yards!
One bit of advice?? Nothings the same as it is back home...take it slow and make sure of the shot!

Very tue on 60 yeards your looking at twigs, blades of grass all things that might not be clearly visible on a stalk, for my money Stalking Wildebeest, and blesbuck mid day when their sleeping in little pans and sandy hollows in thickets is an awesome thing to do, it also is very possible when you take your time to get up to them within 30 - 35 yards.

Don't rush and monitor the wind as a rule........ no matter what you spray or wear if the wind is wrong it's a bust, it is great fun though!!!

ENJOY IT!!!!
My best always.

Hi, I'm going on my first bowhunt safari in south africa for 10 days,June 2-12
Hoping to get a shot at Kudu, Zebra,Impala, Blesbuck. Gemsbuck,Nyala,Wildebeest...etc

I would be too bored to sit in the blind for too many days,and really want to get out there and try my luck and skill at stalking a few days.

So, Here are my questions for you gentlemen who've done it before,

What animals are easier to approach close enough for a shot?( I'm pretty good/confident up to 50-60 yards)

what animals are less likely to jump the string?

What Gillie suit , 3d camo and equipment do you recommend?

If you'd give me one tip, What would it be?

Thanks

Hi There

Once again, some really good advice on the other replies here !

Walk and Stalk in the African bush can take years to perfect, even then you will probably only get one shot out of every 10 hunts.
Kudu have huge ears - they can hear ants walking !
The Impala DO overdose on Red Bull ! they move like lightning and a shot over 25 yds is definatley going to end in tears.
Warthog WILL string jump you at 30 yds plus - they are also pretty neurotic. but a carefull stalk might get you close enough for a shot. If u fluff it, u are not going to see any game for a while !
Zebra is a slight possibility - but fluff it and you will be in the same boat again !
My opinion, depending on the terrain would be to try Wildebeest - beware, the African bush has many eyes, and the chances of being busted are pretty high.

Some good advice stated earlier - Dont try shots over 30 - 35 yds in the African bush - these generally end up in tears - Killzone on a large Antelope is slightly smaller than an A4 sheet of paper - over 50 - 60 yds a slight breeze / hand twitch / a touch of Buck-Fever etc will more than likely end up with an ( expensive ) wounded animal.
Gillie suits are a matter of choice - however the African bush can be merciless with its thorns - so consider this carefully.

Tips / word of advice : 1. Use the Wind ! 2. Take your time - 50metres an HOUR is still a bit fast ! 3. take plenty water - u going to need it.

Good Luck, its tough, but its fun !
let us know how you go !

Teenhunter, if you're 'starting to bowhunt', you're going to have some tough road ahead if you remain inflexible! Bowhunting is best achieved with an opportunistic outlook! Stalking techniques take years to perfect! Don't be so hard on your self! Take it as it comes! You may be sitting in a blind and see an animal that you want just not coming in close enough...so get out and stalk him! Hunting africa on a walk and stalk can be very tough with all the birds and different critters around you all the time! You may begin to care when you're on your second or third trip back to do the same thing over and over again! The costs mount up!
@ Josephjoon, 50 to 60 yard shots are not the thing to try out here...it gets very expensive on the blood trails! Stay within 30 yards!
One bit of advice?? Nothings the same as it is back home...take it slow and make sure of the shot!
for sure it will be very hard but going to the blind is not my objective:)

Lol...just an observation Ole Bally,

Very few teenagers are concerned with cost, providing they're on mom and dad's dime. Nor, are they concerned with time. Both time and money falls from the sky. It's the same place old folks received their wisdom.

The lad has his mind set, and I am reminded of the ole saying, "You can lead a horse to water..."
Maybe Teenhunter will be the star in a new "Predator" movie-he deserves a chance at the role.

Good hunting Teen! Sadly, as you will experience, exuberance wanes with age.

Lol...just an observation Ole Bally,

Very few teenagers are concerned with cost, providing they're on mom and dad's dime. Nor, are they concerned with time. Both time and money falls from the sky. It's the same place old folks received their wisdom.

The lad has his mind set, and I am reminded of the ole saying, "You can lead a horse to water..."
Maybe Teenhunter will be the star in a new "Predator" movie-he deserves a chance at the role.

Good hunting Teen! Sadly, as you will experience, exuberance wanes with age.

Good Point! heck he's not worried Mom and Dad have Plastic. Just kidding Teenhunter follow your dreams.

and as far as the Gillie Suit leave it at home if you intended on sitting and not moving the Gillie would be Ok but on a stalk well everything in South Africa ether picks, sticks or bites
and the Gillie suit will snag on anything you walk by, Any Good Camo will work just fine.

Thanks for all the good advise gentlemen,
You're right, i won't try shots over 30-35 yds, i'm sure it will get very expensive fast.
I know it's going to be tough, and i don't have high expectations,If i take one animal, i'm sure it will be very satisfying and if not, well ,at least i tried!
Will let you know how i did.
Thanks again

I'm going on my first bowhunt safari in south africa for 10 days,June 2-12

Joseph should have finished his hunt yesterday. Let us know how you did, and more importantly, what you learned!

Welcome to the forum, Josephjoon, and good luck with your hunt !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg