Speer 235 grain bullet and the .375 H&H.....

My current preference for hunting are 250s and 300s, but you just can’t beat the price of the Speer 235s for economic practice IMO.

I believe the OP was talking about 150 pound whitetails, and pigs. Somehow the thread drifts to 500 pound Zebra/African PG.

I think shooting whitetails with a 235gr Speer is a wonderful idea and a great way to become more familiar your medium bore rifle. I'd pass on the 235 Speer for 500 pound Zebra, too! I have stopped 180gr TTSX in 3 different Zebra, at impact velocities from 2,500 to 3,000 fps from various .300 mags. When shot on the chevron, they can really stop a bullet.

And if you are shooting deer in the woods and plan to eat your game, no need to start the 235 Speer faster than 2,500fps. Unless you like making a mess.

I know...I am a broken record. Just trying to counter/point out thread drift.

I know this is an old thread brought back, I’m using the Speer 235gr for a practice load, trying for about 2500fps. It’s fun there!
Fun stuff! What powder and charge are you using it drive it with, and in what type of rifle?

I may be about to post a large supply of these and some 375 brass in the classifieds. I sold my 375 a little while ago and I am considering selling out all my 375 bullets and brass. I have 100 pieces of new PRVI brass and I'll have to count them up but it is a bunch of these 235's and a couple hundred 300 grain accubonds plus some other odd and end stuff.

I may be about to post a large supply of these and some 375 brass in the classifieds. I sold my 375 a little while ago and I am considering selling out all my 375 bullets and brass. I have 100 pieces of new PRVI brass and I'll have to count them up but it is a bunch of these 235's and a couple hundred 300 grain accubonds plus some other odd and end stuff.
Please update this thread if you post them for sale. Thanks!

Will do no just got to get down to the gun room and get a good count on everything. I pretty much run my 416 full-time for anything I would normally use a 375 for so I'm gonna sell all the 375 stuff I believe.

I use the 235's and also the Sierra 200 gr. FN in my weekly walking around in the hills off-hand practice.

I load them both to between 2,700 - 2,800 fps using H4895.

I have shot prairie dogs and cow elk with my 375 loaded with the Speer 235. Several species of plains game also, My battery for my pre-64 M70 is 300 Hornady solid, 300 Nosler Partition and 235 Speer, all loaded pretty hot. Like I said, prairie dogs to elephant. Who couldn't love a classic 375?

40 yrs ago when I had my 1st 375 I used Speer 235. All reloads with IMR 3031. Don't remember the charge but it was fairly warm. Shot Moose , Elk Black Bear and Deer. Worked great? I only use 260 gr AB or 300 Part now. Has taken Buff and Nyala in Africa.

Ruger #1, IMR4064, I'd have to go look at my notes for charge weight, but it's in the middle.
I settled on 66 to 68gr IMR 4895 with the 235gr Speer, in 4 different rifles, over the past 35 years.

Great deer and pig load for the shorter ranges. Never used it on anything heavier than a large Fallow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaniaMorfo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!