SOUTH AFRICA: Time To Go Buffalo Hunting

Damn nice black wildebeest buddy...congrats! Good luck tomorrow on the Vaal Rhebok as well. That's on the short list for me the next time I hunt the EC.
Thanks brother.

Beautiful wildebeest! Both black and blue are on my shortlist for when I get to go.

Two down! Very handsome black Wildebeest!

Congrats! But c'mon, that was a little anticlimactic after the buff hunt....(y):D

Wonderful John and I'm so happy for you. What an awesome bull. Congrats and good luck in the Cape!

Thank you my friend. Appreciate it.

No accounting for those dang BWB's. Run away and come back into shooting range. Funny critters. Nice bosses. Good bull. Bruce

That worked out well!! Nice job and beautiful animal.

I foresee more crawling in your future btw! Lol

Best of luck with the Vaal!!

Nice black! One of the critters I didn't see on my trip, but wish I had.

Congrats on the black wildebeest! Good luck tomorrow!

Congratulations! Nicely done. Good persistent effort on the buffalo, and he looks great!

Regards, Guy

Johnny congratz on the great Buff, every step you took was worth it. It is is appreciated more the harder your hunt is. You will forever be able to close your eyes and all the sights, sounds and smells will put you right back there in the bush with the buff's.. Nice BW, that is my wife's #1 target for next year!!!

Great Black Wildebeest! Keep up the good work.

Oh boy.....Vaal rhebok hunting. This almost 60 year old body was saying hey what's up? Lol. It's an unbelievable hunt. Reminds me of my younger days. We left at 5-30 for the 2 hour drive to a place Marius has never hunted before but was told it has vallies on it. We arrive as scheduled to find out we need to pick up one of there trackers and then drive another hour to the area where they live.

Honestly Marius was not happy the first several hours as we had not seen a single group while glassing. He says I have a bad feeling about this place, I tell him let's hunt till noon have a sandwich And head back if nothing happens. The tracker decides to take us to another " mtn range" where he has seen 2 males running together. We climb and climb and climb to top off to look at the other side. And of course what happens?, we look below and see a ram running full speed. We watch to see what he will do, he stops he beds for a minute or two and again is making his way to the border. We try to make a plan to cut him off if possible. Suddenly above us Marius spots a ram running at 250 yards. I try to get my bi pod down and line up on the running ram. But between the steep angle and my feet sliding out from under me I just couldn't get on him. About that time Marius gives me the vallie 101 class about how I need to be ready and acquire the small gray target at a moments notice. Feeling like I let everyone down I bowed my head and apologized and explained what had happened. His response if you want a vallie just be ready for action at a moments notice.

Within minutes of this going down we suddenly spooked another ram I assume he heard us, again I get down feet sliding from under me and I hear Marius barking off the distance 250-270 300! Finally I dig my feet in line up and fire! Spine him dead in his tracks. Thank the lord! My vallie is down. I wasn't sure until Marius grabbed me and said he's down, my response you sure?, his response feet are up in the air. I've never been so releaved.

We got one of the toughest species on the cape. Long long climb up I couldn't wait to put my hands on him.

IMG_0786.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a heck of a hunt! Congrats! What's next?

Ah...bushbuck....my favorite! Good luck tomorrow!

Waterbuck are one of my favorite animals, just love the way they look. Hope you get one.

What a hoot! Great shot!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chiefwava

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.