Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA, SCI
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
Just finished up my third cull hunt with Nick from @Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA. Weather was generally good with a few windy days and one with rain. Got to meet and hunt a couple days with fellow AH member and deadeye, @Trogon. @markm accompanied me but had to depart early do to an emergency at home. Finished up the last few days with Nick, Ben, and @Trogon. Nick's new lodge and accommodations were outstanding with a spacious room, plenty of hot water, reading lights for the comfy bed, and loads of storage space for clothes and gear. Wild game eaten was impala, zebra, elan, spingbok and reedbuck, all done to perfection by the PH chefs, Nick, Ben, Fred, and Mericyk. Desserts served by Nick's wife always hit the spot after a hearty meal. The wi-fi internet was excellent and calls made that route were clear, trouble free and cheap
e-big-grin.gif
. All in all, got to meet and share the camp with @Trogon, and four first timers, a father and two sons and their buddy from Mississippi. Was fun to listen to them tell the stories of their hunts that day and take part in the excitement and thrill of hunting Africa.
Nick and I continued our friendly debate on bullet selection, i.e. Hornady vs Bergers.
s-beat-dead-horse.gif
That topic will only die when both of us head for the happy hunting grounds. Interestingly, this was the first time I did not bring a backup rifle and on day four Murphy decided it was time for a visit. I got in the truck and Mark handed me a screw and spring and asked if it was mine. Sure enough it was part of the pic rail QD adapter on my bipod, Fortunately, Mark had the same setup and I was able to use his. Then on day five, after hundreds of trouble free rounds, the trigger failed. As luck would have it, the hunting gods were also in attendance. My rifle having a Remington footprint, Nick had a spare Timney from a previous rifle and I was able to swap out the failed one and resume the hunt. Murphy again struck the same day as the butt plate came loose on the recoil reduction unit. Further inspection revealed a stripped screw in the fiberglass material of the stock. A little two part epoxy and that repair was done.
The irony of it all was the second day, Nick asked if I would take a look at a friends P-38 pistol that needed attention. I got the pistol and a small bag of parts. Sixty years since I last handled one, but after an hour of figuring out what went where, I got it together and functioning. The next day, I got a request to take a look at one of the PHs pump shotgun. The problem was not being able to load more than one shell in the magazine. Disassembled it and with probably a bazillion rounds through it, I could feel a burr at the beginning of the mag tube. Not having a scope or a proper shop, the only thing I could do was try and get that burr removed. Contorted fingers wrapped with some 80 grit sandpaper we were able to once again load five rounds. Cleaned and reassembled it and working the action and slide release, I pumped out all five rounds and another problem fixed. I told Nick, it seemed like all I was doing was gun repair! Never an issue though, I'm always willing to help, (even if they do shoot ELD-Xs).
a-stirring.gif
It was a great trip with lots of laughs, good natured kidding, meat for the farm help and some herd thinning. Most shots were mid range with a final tally of nine impala, seven springbok, three waterbuck, one kudu and one mountain reedbuck.
A few pics of the resident game animal recovery unit, aka Blackjack. After lunch in the afternoon, I'd leave my door open so he could come in and get a power nap before going back out for the late hunt. Second pic is of him after a hard day afield.

blackjack1.jpg
superman.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Lemonade out of lemons. Great recovery on all fronts. I really enjoyed the opportunity to try your rifle and watch you in action, extremely impressive, @Hogpatrol . I'd give you more likes if I could. Having you and @markm made for a great camp! My best trip yet!

Thanks for the report-I would love to do one of these cull hunts one year

Looks and sounds like a great time!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OVSCharles

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double