SOUTH AFRICA: My Once In A Lifetime Trip To Africa With Umlilo Safaris Eastern Cape

This was an excellent report! I enjoyed reading it and thank you for sharing. You got some great animals and love the shape of your kudu.

My wife is sick of me saying this is a once in a lifetime trip, lol.
Thank you sir! It certainly looks as if you are living the dream! I love the picture of your Buffalo. If I am fortunate enough to go back, I think I would try a free range buffalo, who knows?
My wife still believes it was a once in a lifetime thing! I

I really enjoyed your hunting report, and I will look into Umlilo Safaris, as it sounds like they took care of you very well! I'm very happy for you that you took the opportunity to live this lifelong dream of yours and experience Africa! I can certainly tell that it meant a lot to you. Very nice as well that you had the company of your son as well. Did he also hunt? You took some very nice animals and I'm sure you're already excitedly planning where they will go in your home! Your Kudu looks a bit like the one I took from the Eastern Cape. Such beautiful animals. Thank you for sharing!
Hi Cam Moon! Thanks for reading my report. I did have a wonderful time. My son didn't hunt. He wavered back and forth about it, but ultimately decided not to. He does streaming video production professionally, and so he wanted to record my hunt and do photography as well. I love that kudu! I don't really care about scoring, but I love the width and shape of his horns.
Umlilo was a good choice for me! I am quite pleased. They also guide in Zimbabwe, Botswana, and all over RSA.
Thanks for your kind words.

I enjoyed your report! Thank you for posting.

Now the spousal negotiations about where to hang trophies!!
Tra3, I am glad you enjoyed it! You hit the nail on the head about spousal negotiations! I may have to build a special he-shed! I have no idea why a kudu mount and a couple of rugs wouldn't look great in the living room!

A great hunt and a great post. Not too long just complete. Your next safari is planned for when??
Hi Shootist43, I am glad you enjoyed the post. As for the next safari.... I can't say - just in case the wife reads this! ;)

@Smitty If I were you I would show your wife that full bag safari advertised here for 175k. Anything you show her after that will look like a bargain and you "have" to do it.

I'll add my congrats to the others. Looks like some nice trophies. Its great that you got to go. Makes rehab a lot more important. Enjoyed your writing style.
Bruce
Thank you Bruce! Sorry I didn't reply earlier, apparently I missed a few posts from people and just found out about it. I am well satisfied with the quality of animals taken. I wasn't asking for trophy size, other than the Kudu, the rest were simply representative, but Francois at Umlilo did make sure to always try and get me the best of each species he could.
And you are right about it making rehab important. It gave me the impetus to get up several times a week and make a 5 mile hike. I also have to say that it was well worth it. Once I arrived in Africa and started hunting, I didn't find the walking difficult at all, and at one point Francois said it was a big advantage to finding better animals because I was capable of walking distances, and that I was a good shot (Being a country boy, something I take particular pride in). Thank you for commenting on my post.

@Smitty If I were you I would show your wife that full bag safari advertised here for 175k. Anything you show her after that will look like a bargain and you "have" to do it.
Awesome idea! I will try it and see if I am still conscious afterwards.

That was enjoyable to read about your experience of your hunt.
Your pleasure, excitement and humour came threw in spades.
Thanks for the effort in the write up.

Congratulations.

(Feel free to do it again. I want to read your next hunt report)
Thank you Mr Brickburn! And thank you for your effort on this website. It was my #1 help in getting ready for my safari. Many of my questions were answered.
I also have noticed your information and guidance when people post inflammatory and negative reviews, and I appreciate the way this community doesn't rush to judgement and considers both sides. I am happy to be a member here.

Wonderful report! Thanks for taking us along.

Great write up, congratulation on a great adventure. Forrest

Wonderful report! Thanks for taking us along.
Thank you. I enjoyed it, and thanks for reading. By the way, I see you are a fan of the 375 Ruger! I saw one the other day for $600 in a left handed version and was debating getting it. I don't know as I will ever need a .375, but it looked like a great deal. Now you are making me think......

Great write up, congratulation on a great adventure. Forrest
Thank you Forrest, it was the greatest adventure of my life! I am glad you enjoyed reading about it.

Well written! Can't tell you how much I enjoyed reading the report. Something about that first trip Africa. The kudu is truly beautiful.

Well written! Can't tell you how much I enjoyed reading the report. Something about that first trip Africa. The kudu is truly beautiful.
Thank you Red Leg. I see you have hunted and traveled extensively, so I am pleased you enjoyed my report. Every man has a dream, and it was awesome to realize mine. I would love to go for a buffalo at some stage, but nothing can top this first trip as it was all new to me. I hope I never lost that feeling. Mostly it helped me to recant and re-live the adventure, so I enjoyed writing it.

Magnificent animals, especially like the Kudu.....glad you’ve healed up from the thorns

That was one heck of a hunt report, I really enjoyed it. Congrats man!

That was one heck of a hunt report, I really enjoyed it. Congrats man!
Thank you so much. I wrote it so I had a written record to remind me of my trip in my old age. I am driving my family crazy with stories and picture books.

20190702_211635.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genihi4888

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg