SOUTH AFRICA: MATTANJA HUNTING SAFARIS

Fugazi

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hello All,
I’ve recently returned from my second hunting trip to Africa – this time to Lowveld region in South Africa with Dieter, owner of @MATTANJA HUNTING SAFARIS.
Again I’m pleased to report that the trip exceeded my expectations.

This time I was accompanied by a friend on his first trip to Africa who intended to hunt plains game while I was hoping for a buffalo.
Our camp was perfectly placed adjacent to the Greater Kruger National Park. Accommodation and staff were excellent – as was the food, especially the meat from the braai courtesy of Derian, another superb PH who accompanied us on our hunts.

Dieter has a fabulous personality, is super easy to get on with and importantly really knows his stuff.
His long term tracker Eliphas was incredible too – it’s hard to believe how gifted he was. One afternoon, just the three of us cautiously stalking, we got to within several meters of a buffalo we had been following all morning.

During the week we were in camp, my friend and I were both lucky enough to enjoy successful hunts – duiker, impala, zebra, nyala, giraffe and I was rewarded with a couple of, in my opinion, incredible old dagga boys.

Dieter really does put in the utmost effort to get you what you want - we both had a tremendous time with him.
It was an unforgettable adventure that I will enjoy looking back on for the rest of my life and I can highly recommend Mattanja Hunting Safaris.

I’m now planning to visit Zimbabwe next year with Dieter to go after leopard.
I can’t wait…

IMG_1471.jpeg
IMG_2913.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fugazi, Thanks for the informative and enjoyable post. And very helpful to hear your positive report about Dieter and his way of doing things. I may go with him for buffalo in 2024 or 2025. Congrats on your great hunt. Brian

Thank you Brian.
I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
Good luck

Fugazi, Those are wonderful old dagga boys! Please tell me what cartridge/bullet you used and how close were you for your first shot. How many shots each?
Thanks, Brian

Fugazi, Those are wonderful old dagga boys! Please tell me what cartridge/bullet you used and how close were you for your first shot. How many shots each?
Thanks, Brian
Thank you Brian - I think so too!

I used a .375 H&H with a 300gr Peregrine VRG3 bullet - recommended and supplied by Dieter.

On both approx 30m through scrub quartering frontal for my first shots and fortunately the first shot was good each time - into the vital triangle and would have been enough on both, however we weren't to know that at the time...

My first buff took another shot to the body while on the move before we heard the death bellow - unforgettable.

My second ended up with seven rounds in him... incredible. The first and a further four in the VT, another one to the body and a one to the rear end as he moved away from my initial shot.
One of the five into the VT was the coup de grace tbf as he lay on his side with the back towards us - probably about 10m - all the other shots between 20-30m I guess in pretty thick stuff so visibility was challenging.

Photos of the first bullet recovered from the other side of the ribcage:

IMG_2319.jpeg
IMG_2315.jpeg
IMG_2314.jpeg

Thanks, Excellent bullet! Perfect performance. I use it in my 577 NE and Cutting Edge Bullets ( Raptor ) in my 50-110 Win.
It is really "buffalo hunting" when you get close like that. Well Done!

PS. I love shooting the .375HH but I don't use it any more for buffalo. ( I have killed 6 buffalo with it.) I am a bit too old for all the excitement that it causes. (chuckle).
I like the big bores for anchoring them.

Great choices!
Wow - well done Brian!

Haha - Yes - I totally agree on the excitement part.
I'm waiting for a .416 Rigby to be approved on my licence and next time I go after buffalo I'd like to try that out.
Hopefully there is a double rifle in my future too...

Fugazi, That 416 Rigby sure works on buffalo. On my buffalo hunt this year the PH stopped a full on charge at 10 yds with a 416 Rigby. ( I messed it up with a borrowed .375HH, with a one lung shot. Long story, I don't wanna to talk about it. chuckle.)

I have always yearned for a double rifle but it looks like I will be hunting the rest of my buffalo ( I am 78 y.o. ) with my TC Encore in .500-110 barrel ( .50-110 Win. necked down to true .500 cal., .410 grain CEB Raptor at 2,100 fps. give me DRT results. ) and maybe I'll experiment with my 500 S&W switch barrel and CEB bullets. Those CEB Raptors really kill buffalo. Brian

@Fugazi waidmannsheil! That are some nice buffalo. Thanks for sharing your adventure.

Fugazi, That 416 Rigby sure works on buffalo. On my buffalo hunt this year the PH stopped a full on charge at 10 yds with a 416 Rigby. ( I messed it up with a borrowed .375HH, with a one lung shot. Long story, I don't wanna to talk about it. chuckle.)

I have always yearned for a double rifle but it looks like I will be hunting the rest of my buffalo ( I am 78 y.o. ) with my TC Encore in .500-110 barrel ( .50-110 Win. necked down to true .500 cal., .410 grain CEB Raptor at 2,100 fps. give me DRT results. ) and maybe I'll experiment with my 500 S&W switch barrel and CEB bullets. Those CEB Raptors really kill buffalo. Brian
Sounds good to me!
I wish you many more years happy hunting Brian!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeriEllzey

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek