AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
Canada (AB,SK,ON,QC,NB,NS) USA (TX,ME) South Africa (6) Argentina
Just back from my second trip with Marius at KMG Safaris. Once again, I had an outstanding trip and hunt. After a good night’s rest at the lodge and catching up on a year gone by, I arose for the first morning’s hunt and headed out with Louw glassing for Nyala. We quickly spotted a pair of cows and two bulls and stalked in for a closer look. After determining that the second bull was indeed good we closed the distance between us and the Nyala as he continued to feed, directly facing away from us. We watched this bull for about a half hour as he stood directly facing away from us, patiently waiting for a shot opportunity. He finally turned right into some thick scrub and the waiting continued until he popped out into a small opening and I settled my crosshairs on his front shoulder and squeezed the trigger. He dropped in his tracks and my first animal of this safari was in the salt. We spent the afternoon walking and glassing for Bushbuck and the next day would find us off in pursuit of Waterbuck.

DSC01297.JPG

Last edited:
Day 2 found Louw and I meeting up with another PH named John and we were off after a Waterbuck John had seen recently. My better half was able to join us this am as she had recovered from swelling in her legs during the long flight over. A set of compression socks solved the problem for the return trip. We found some high ground and were quickly overlooking two terrific Waterbucks, problem was they knew we were there and stayed in the thick bush, with just their horns showing. We carefully backed out, hoping to return in the afternoon and headed off to some high ridges to continue the search. We continued glassing the valleys spotting Nyala, Impala and Kudu. A trophy Waterbuck was spotted, but as often happens a troop of Baboons sounded the alert and he made a clean get away. We continued our search and came across a Waterbuck, but he quickly spooked and started to move down the valley. We pursued along the top of the ridge, busting through the thorns at a fast pace. We caught up and the sticks appeared, but only a fleeting opportunity presented itself as he passed through an opening chasing three cows. We continued the pursuit and the sticks came up once more and I caught a glimpse of his back as I steadied up on the sticks. I squeezed the trigger and he disappeared at the shot. The PHs both expressed that they had heard the shot hit and the three cows continued up the ridge on the opposite side of the valley. The PHs stated that we should stay put and some of John’s guys would come in from the opposite ridge where I hoped he had gone down in the thick scrub. An agonizing long wait now began and after about an hour a radio call from John’s men confirmed he was down and the work began in earnest to take him down off the ridge. The next day was to be spent at a local game reserve for some photos of the big five. Next up, a cull Impala with a twisted horn.
DSC04986.JPG

101_0356.JPG

Awesome! Can't wait to hear more!

The morning started out with us glassing a hillside looking for a specific Impala with twisted horns. A young PH named Graham was leading the way this morning, but the wind was howling and the vast majority of the game had gone to cover. We decide to slip into the valley and creep along a trail leading to a small dam, when we spotted two Bushbucks in a small clearing on the other side of the waterhole. I attempt to slip up onto the shortsticks just in time to have them vanish into the scrub. This short sighting would drive the rest of my trip as I was intent on seeing these two great Bushbucks again, if at all possible. After a nice lunch back at the lodge it is my wife’s turn and we head out with Marius in search of a Blesbok. After spotting a herd we get close enough to determine that there is not a decent ram in the group and Marius quickly gets us on to another group only to be thwarted by some Impala who spook the Blesbok. We get on to a bachelor group of rams and the sticks come out as my wife gets into shooting position, but the herd ram won’t offer us a shot and as daylight fades away we call it a day and retire to the lodge, content in spending another surreal day in South Africa at KMG.

100_0500.JPG

The day starts out searching for the cull Impala Ram. Shortly after leaving the truck and heading along the top of the ridge, Louw’s eagle eyes pick him up on the opposite side of the valley and we head down the ridge. I slip into a prone position and send a round straight over his back! Just didn’t hold low enough for the height difference. Louw hustles us back up the ridge as I curse my lousy shot sure in his knowledge that the Impala would appear further up the bottom of the ravine. As predicted, he reappears and I am quickly up on the shortsticks for a shot. I hit him and he goes down. This was the first time in Africa that I had chased a specific animal and it was a very rewarding feeling to have completed this hunt. Remember those Bushbuck I had seen yesterday? We spend the rest of the morning lying in wait where we had seen the Bushbuck yesterday, but they fail to show up for their appointment. The afternoon is spent chasing Blesbok, but after several stalks to get a closer look and a long wait overlooking a good size herd, only to discover the absence of a good Ram, another day ends at KMG with a unique Impala in the salt.

DSC05032.JPG
100_0510.JPG

100_0518.JPG
The next morning, Louw and I returned to the area where I had seen the two great Bushbucks two days ago. We sat high up on a cliff overlooking the area. An hour into the sit, Louw spots a female Bushbuck at the bottom as she enters the clearing with a ram in tow. The sticks go up and I quickly see it was one of the two Bushbucks we had seen two days ago. Although he was the smaller of the two he is magnificent in the scope and I squeeze the trigger and he drops instantly. We head down the hill and realize that I had shot too high again, not allowing for the downhill trajectory, as this round had slipped over his back and caught his face as he turned to look back. Practicing those downhill shots for someone who shoots on relatively flat ground cannot be overlooked.
101_0350.JPG

Adgunner,
Nice animals you harvested with Marius and the boys, glad your hunt went well, waterbuck will be on my list next time.
Kurt

The afternoon finds my wife chasing a bachelor group of four Blesbok and we commence our stalk, ever mindful of the wind. After numerous attempts to close the range, my wife and Louw slowly inch out from behind cover and the sticks are quietly positioned. She placed her rifle up on the sticks, squeezed the trigger and a heart shot sent the Blesbok ram into the salt. Smiles all around.

100_0524.JPG

The next morning starts with Graham and I slipping into position where we had originally encountered the large Bushbuck. After an hour of sitting stock still a female Bushbuck made an appearance at the water hole and took a nervous drink, disappearing back into the scrub silently. Two more hours slowly pass by and two more female Bushbucks pass by as indicated to me by Graham. From my position I cannot see them and strain to view them. While straining to see them I glanced momentarily to my right and catch my first glimpse of the Bushbuck we have been pursuing relentlessly. I indicate to Graham the presence of the Ram and a stand off begins as he soaks up the mid morning sun and I wait for a clear shot. Another Bushbuck barks from behind us and this prompts him to take a pace forward into my line of sight and I settled the crosshairs on him, gently squeezing the trigger. He collapses instantly. I felt very blessed to see this Bushbuck again.
This was a fitting end to our second trip to RSA. I know we will back to hunt with Marius and the crew at KMG as their professionalism and passion for hunting enabled us to experience yet again another unsurpassable safari experience.

100_0544.JPG

Thanks Kurt, heard lots of good things about your hunt at KMG.

Great hunt, and very good trophies, congrats Adgunner !

Dandy Bushbuck!

Congratulations! I love the Bushbuck!!!

The next morning starts with Graham and I slipping into position where we had originally encountered the large Bushbuck. After an hour of sitting stock still a female Bushbuck made an appearance at the water hole and took a nervous drink, disappearing back into the scrub silently. Two more hours slowly pass by and two more female Bushbucks pass by as indicated to me by Graham. From my position I cannot see them and strain to view them. While straining to see them I glanced momentarily to my right and catch my first glimpse of the Bushbuck we have been pursuing relentlessly. I indicate to Graham the presence of the Ram and a stand off begins as he soaks up the mid morning sun and I wait for a clear shot. Another Bushbuck barks from behind us and this prompts him to take a pace forward into my line of sight and I settled the crosshairs on him, gently squeezing the trigger. He collapses instantly. I felt very blessed to see this Bushbuck again.
This was a fitting end to our second trip to RSA. I know we will back to hunt with Marius and the crew at KMG as their professionalism and passion for hunting enabled us to experience yet again another unsurpassable safari experience.

View attachment 29716
.. Nice trophies, congratulations! Taking my first Safari to SA next September.

Congratulations to your wife on her Blesbok. She got a nice trophy.

Great persistence and patience on the Bushbuck. Damn.
Marius told me it was a monster. He didn't lie.
A double on BB. Well done.

I'd wait a long time on a hill for that guy to come out to.
Chasing specific animals certainly puts a good twist on the hunt.

Thanks for the report.

great meeting you and the Missus and sharing camp with you.

Doug

Doug, it was a pleasure meeting you and your family. Hopefully are paths will cross again in camp somewhere soon.

Rod

Brickburn, I started this trip with Bushbuck not on the list ... it didn't take long to get addicted to chasing them ... still can't believe I had not planned for them!

So glad to see this report.....I wish to have the chance to take my wife some day......very good trophys, but the bushbuck is awesome........Saint Hubertus kiss you with that trophy class.......!!!!!!!

Congratulations for you both and thanks for share......!!!!!!

Congratulations! I look forward to my first trip to South Africa in September 2015.

Rocket, hope you will have the chance to take the wife one day, as an aside i will be visiting Mendoza in November for work and will try and squeeze in some hunting in your beautiful country.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg