SOUTH AFRICA: Just Got Back From 24 Days In Africa

friendswoodmatt

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Fished for 5 days at Cahora Bassa for Tigerfish and Vundu — great trip but with travel on both ends it took nine days total — then hunted for 7 days in Limpopo and then to Cape Town/Stellenbosch (sp?) for a few days of touring/wine tasting and hanging out.
Animals taken — Very old Kudu, big Waterbuck, big limpopo bushbuck, zebra and a Gemsbock. Ran out of time for another Buffalo as weather was very difficult for 3 days with super high winds and cold temps that kept the animals from moving. Will try and add trip details but got back home and starlink took a dump so internet from hotspot on phone isnt great — and not sure why pics are not facing correctly.
For those that care about such things —
Waterbuck was 32.5 with 10.5 bases and scores 85.5 — they say this is a giant water buck — I know he looked very big when I shot him
Kudu is very old— very poor body condition with 56” really broomed off horns and wide — a prefect trophy for me
Limpopo bush buck is 17.5” didnt measure bases
Gemsbok was 36ish — wife wanted to shoot something as we hadn’t had any luck for 4 days with the weather and this guy showed himself -

IMG_5637.jpeg
IMG_5677.jpeg
IMG_0087.jpeg
IMG_5579.jpeg
IMG_5649.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good animals. Curious on which venue at CB for fishing.

Excellent bushbuck. Thanks for posting.

Heck of a water buck!! Congratulations on a successful hunt!! Thanks for sharing the details.

Very nice trophies! Congratulations!

Fished for 5 days at Cahora Bassa for Tigerfish and Vundu — great trip but with travel on both ends it took nine days total — then hunted for 7 days in Limpopo and then to Cape Town/Stellenbosch (sp?) for a few days of touring/wine tasting and hanging out.
Animals taken — Very old Kudu, big Waterbuck, big limpopo bushbuck, zebra and a Gemsbock. Ran out of time for another Buffalo as weather was very difficult for 3 days with super high winds and cold temps that kept the animals from moving. Will try and add trip details but got back home and starlink took a dump so internet from hotspot on phone isnt great — and not sure why pics are not facing correctly.
For those that care about such things —
Waterbuck was 32.5 with 10.5 bases and scores 85.5 — they say this is a giant water buck — I know he looked very big when I shot him
Kudu is very old— very poor body condition with 56” really broomed off horns and wide — a prefect trophy for me
Limpopo bush buck is 17.5” didnt measure bases
Gemsbok was 36ish — wife wanted to shoot something as we hadn’t had any luck for 4 days with the weather and this guy showed himself -
Where are the fish pics?

Just finished reading about PH John Sharps adventures hunting crocs in Cahora Bassa so it was extra fun to read your brief notes about your own adventures. Congratulations on a neat trip and to your success.

Congrats on a great safari. Looks like y’all had a great hunt with with some awesome trophies taken. They are all nice but as some others have mentioned that bushbuck is special. Thanks for sharing.

Great animals Matt! I still owe you an Elk hunt up here in God’s Country!

Your smiles tell the story. Great animals & sounds like a great trip!

Congrats and thanks for sharing! Bushbuck of a lifetime!

Congrats on a great trip. Those are some exceptional trophies!!

Beautiful trophies, sounds like you had one heck of a trip!

That sounds like a great trip with some excellent animals taken. Would love to see some fish pics when you get a chance.

Congratulations on a very successful adventure. Looking forward to more details and pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buyproductboxesuk

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.