Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
Wild Deer Association of Ireland
Hunted
South Africa Eastern Cape, Kenya,Namibia, Croatia, Morocco Ireland,Scotland,Czech, Denmark, Romania, Sweden,Norway,Latvia,Germany,Hungary,
First of all I will say that it took me a long time to settle on somewhere to hunt a buffalo .
i exchanged emails and WhatsApp with various of our sponsors. Sometimes dates didn’t work, terms and conditions didnt sit happily with me or simply it didn’t on reflection appeal enough.

Earlier this year I touched base with Wik Coetzee of @GAME 4 AFRICA SAFARIS. BTW, it’s pronounced Vik but he answers to all versions of it.
Dates and prices were good and agreed on. Basically I had seen his offer of a buffalo ,kudu and an impala on the site. A kudu has always appealed to me and I’ve had a life wish for a buffalo ever since buying a 375 made it become just that little bit more than a dream.

Flights were a problem. A buddy from Toronto was coming along also. We’ve hunted and toured in Namibia the last two years and this was our first venture to South Africa. Usually in Europe I fly with Lufthansa. They are an easy airline with firearms. Other options were Ethiopian and Egypt airlines. To minimise our flying times I eventually plumped on Lufthansa. Unfortunately they now no longer allow a sporting firearm in your case for free. I declined their generous offer of €250 each way to transport my rifle.

C had to fly into Heathrow, layover 4 hours and on to Frankfurt where we met and flew on that evening to Johannesburg. I had a few (6) hours to kill in Frankfurt so took the train into town for a walk about a beer and a cigar. I can only describe the immediate area around the central station as a kip, drunks, junkies and hookers . Oliver Tambo was very easy to transit. I had heard horror stories of long queues at immigration. Frankly it went very smoothly and we checked in for our flight to Port Elizabeth.

on arrival we collected our baggage and met Wik outside. A 2 hour drive had us at the lodge. A cold beer and an excellent meal and we hit the sack pretty smartly.
More later.

341E9220-457D-4ABD-9599-9C98BAEB0840.jpeg
IMG_3197.jpeg
IMG_3200.jpeg
IMG_3206.jpeg
BDA9B1B7-926F-4AF3-A421-C7ABE3EF451E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Anxiously waiting for more. I hunted with Wik in 2022, and had an outstanding time. He is a fine PH.

First day, reveille at 6am, followed by breakfast. Bacon, eggs, juice and coffee. A lot more but you can only eat so much !

Down to the range for a few shots with Wik’s rifles. Both are Sako 85’s, one in 7mm Remington Magnum, the second in the venerable 375 H&H. The all round African caliber. I placed my shots perfectly 1” above the bull, just where Wik was probably hoping they would be. In my limited guiding I am inwardly sweating like a priest in a whorehouse that the hunter can shoot well.

We set off in the Toyota Prado, I love those vehicles, to Wik’s concession some 45 minutes drive away. I was amazed at how lush the countryside is compared to Namibia which is as dry as a witches tit. Our aim today was a kudu bull. Frankly I have never seen so many kudu in a day ! We drove to the high spots to spot. In the course of the day Wik says he saw about 100 kudu. I saw possibly 35-40 but don’t have the keen eyesight of younger people anymore.

The day wore but was by no means boring, baboons were barking at the intruders. Impossible to spot them ! From some 1200 yards we spotted a group of kudu feeding in an open area. Wik said “There’s a good one in there. Let’s make a plan”. How often have you heard that phrase in Africa ?
”Do you gentlemen fancy a walk ?”

So we set off Along a rough track. Rounding a bend 2 things happened. We spotted another kudu bull 200 or so yards away in our intended path. “He’s no good, the other one is better, we’ll wait” now how you can judge a pair of horns at 1200 yards is beyond me . Also to our immediate left was a small group of kudu cows who left with some slight haste.

we walked through some dead ground and the moment of truth was rapidly approaching. Single file with strict instructions to avoid kicking stones we crept closer. Keeping as low as you can becomes increasingly more difficult with advancing years.

Wik put the sticks up and I slid into position. A bit of a wait (eternity )for the bull to turn sideways for the shot. The bull ran out of sight on bei hit and the rest of the herd got out of Dodge rapidly.

Great stalk, perfect shot and a beautiful Eastern Cape Kudu. We loaded him up and returned to the lodge for a couple of bees and dinner. Rounded off with some decent Irish whiskey Jamesons naturally.

IMG_0654.jpeg
IMG_0002.jpeg

Today was another day when I joined a small exclusive club. Doubtless some of our members are also in the same club. Full story at a later stage. I’m celebrating.
IMG_0845.jpeg

Today was another day when I joined a small exclusive club. Doubtless some of our members are also in the same club. Full story at a later stage. I’m celebrating.
That certainly is a very nice thing Wik does, I got mine in 2022! I'm looking forward to your story of how you got yours!

Having regained a modicum of sobriety……
Breakfast early in the morning and loaded up we drove out into the hills. We scanned from several vantage points and saw everything except buffalo bulls. This place is crawling in Kudu !

A small group of bulls was spotted and again Wik was able to discern an old boy amongst the group of 4. A plan was made and we set off. Down a rough track, in and out of bush until some sense Wik has called a quiet halt to our progress. The sticks went up and I made ready. The old boy appeared. He had a mouthful he was chewing. He looked at us but it was into the morning sun and he suspected no danger. “Wait, wait let him clear the bush. His head and neck were protruding but his shoulder still obstructed by some bush.

he moved forward and a voice said “shoot” I did ! He went down on his knees, got up and staggered a short distance. Meanwhile I had reloaded and was ready to shoot again if necessary. 3 other bulls had appeared and were in attendance. My bull lurched and keeled over. Then there w as the most amazing 5 minutes of the other bulls pushing, rolling and goring the dead bull. They demonstrated at us and Wik advised a retreat. Sound advice in my opinion.

What a rush ! Hearing that death bellow was a relief. It all went perfectly, no wounded bull, no tracking in the bush. The 3 bulls hung around for some time viewing us from a distance and occasionally approaching. They were shouted off.

Lots of photos and videos taken. Hopefully I can upload a video, it makes good watching.

IMG_0011.jpeg
IMG_0154.jpeg
IMG_0164.jpeg
IMG_0162.jpeg

Outstanding! Congratulations on your bull. Any pictures of the bull? Looking forward to the rest of your safari. (y)

I have hunted there twice, once with Wik, and once mostly with Don. Outstanding PHs and even better people.

I aspire to own one of those knives someday.

Congrats on what you have shared thus far.

Wow, I love your story!! Such excitement! Awesome shot and the bullet did its job too. You just have to see how thick the jest is there to appreciate how tough the hunting can be. Thank you for bringing back the wonderful memories I have of my hunt with Wik in 2022.

A few more of the animal

Congratulations on such a successful hunt! Thank you for sharing and can’t wait for the rest of the story.

First day, reveille at 6am, followed by breakfast. Bacon, eggs, juice and coffee. A lot more but you can only eat so much !

Down to the range for a few shots with Wik’s rifles. Both are Sako 85’s, one in 7mm Remington Magnum, the second in the venerable 375 H&H. The all round African caliber. I placed my shots perfectly 1” above the bull, just where Wik was probably hoping they would be. In my limited guiding I am inwardly sweating like a priest in a whorehouse that the hunter can shoot well.

We set off in the Toyota Prado, I love those vehicles, to Wik’s concession some 45 minutes drive away. I was amazed at how lush the countryside is compared to Namibia which is as dry as a witches tit. Our aim today was a kudu bull. Frankly I have never seen so many kudu in a day ! We drove to the high spots to spot. In the course of the day Wik says he saw about 100 kudu. I saw possibly 35-40 but don’t have the keen eyesight of younger people anymore.

The day wore but was by no means boring, baboons were barking at the intruders. Impossible to spot them ! From some 1200 yards we spotted a group of kudu feeding in an open area. Wik said “There’s a good one in there. Let’s make a plan”. How often have you heard that phrase in Africa ?
”Do you gentlemen fancy a walk ?”

So we set off Along a rough track. Rounding a bend 2 things happened. We spotted another kudu bull 200 or so yards away in our intended path. “He’s no good, the other one is better, we’ll wait” now how you can judge a pair of horns at 1200 yards is beyond me . Also to our immediate left was a small group of kudu cows who left with some slight haste.

we walked through some dead ground and the moment of truth was rapidly approaching. Single file with strict instructions to avoid kicking stones we crept closer. Keeping as low as you can becomes increasingly more difficult with advancing years.

Wik put the sticks up and I slid into position. A bit of a wait (eternity )for the bull to turn sideways for the shot. The bull ran out of sight on bei hit and the rest of the herd got out of Dodge rapidly.

Great stalk, perfect shot and a beautiful Eastern Cape Kudu. We loaded him up and returned to the lodge for a couple of bees and dinner. Rounded off with some decent Irish whiskey Jamesons naturally.

View attachment 599726View attachment 599727

People will tell you that Eastern Cape Kudu are not as large as elsewhere in Africa and while that is true, looking at the nice curl and mass on your Kudu shows that a true trophy isn't always about inches. And as you stated and I have personally seen, @GAME 4 AFRICA SAFARIS has a lot of kudu!

A few more of the animal

I managed to upload a couple of videos onto UTube. I hope it works. Look for Buffalo hunt with Game 4 Africa Safaris. One I managed to put in the AH video section
Outstanding! Congratulations on your bull. Any pictures of the bull? Looking forward to the rest of your safari. (y)
@PARA45 , sorry, can’t seem to upload photos at the moment. ‍♂️

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gamgee

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.