SOUTH AFRICA: Hunting Kudu With Warren At Rhinoster Hoek

congratulations on a very fine kudu @HuntingGold ! and excellent writing too might I add :)
thanks for sharing! (btw, I'm sure you made 'our Bob' feel quite honoured too!)
@VertigoBE
Just quietly I feel very honoured that @hunting Gold named his rifle after me but we won't tell him that.
I don't profess to be anyone or anything special soit is a great honour.
Bob

Hunting Gold- My hunt at Warren’s was 10 years ago and I didn’t think I could find any photos. But here’s my first kudu bull. Thanks, Hutch

The wash you walked up years back, have made that same walk myself a few times with Warren. It is a special place for sure, hunted there 3 times (so far) and was waiting for the report to come in.
Love the pic of Cockscomb in the back ground, could sit and look at that for hours.
Congrats on a great hunt, i know Warren and Belinda took great care of you like they do all their guests/friends.
I have to get back there if for no other reason than to sit and enjoy a coffee in Warrens office

Dont mind the mess, was taken before basement renovations

unnamed.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for hanging in through the computer issues. Frustrating I know !! Very nice kudu and that one y'all were after, STUNNING !

Very nice kudu, a mature great representative of the sepsis. I am sure you can sit at home and close your eyes and recall all the nuances of the hunt and just smile. Thank you for sharing.

Haha! Bob! That’s great…think I’m going to christen my .243 Bob Jr!
But seriously, congrats on your kudu hunt. They are special animals.

My original draft talked about Bob referring to 243 barrels as tomato stakes... But it got cut during the editing process. Funny you brought it up. :ROFLMAO:

Haha! Bob! That’s great…think I’m going to christen my .243 Bob Jr!
But seriously, congrats on your kudu hunt. They are special animals.
@Ragman
Thanks for the thoughts, as long as it has Jnr in it I can always density was named after me
Ha ha ha ha
Bob

Randy, as usual it was great to have you visit us again, even better that we eventually met your good wife Shannon personally at last. Belinda enjoyed having some female company and she had great fun showing her the sights. Was skeptical about that "Bob" fellow you brought with, but he worked out well:LOL: thankfully he went boom, not boom boom here:A Music:.

Randy, as usual it was great to have you visit us again, even better that we eventually met your good wife Shannon personally at last. Belinda enjoyed having some female company and she had great fun showing her the sights. Was skeptical about that "Bob" fellow you brought with, but he worked out well:LOL: thankfully he went boom, not boom boom here:A Music:.
@WRudman
The Whelen is just an American 9.3x62 both amazing calibers. I had 5 one shot kills with mine on game from impala up yo a massive zebra stallion. Both my PHs were impressed with its performance on game. I would have liked an Eland but time and money were against me. Maybe one day.
Bob

@WRudman
The Whelen is just an American 9.3x62 both amazing calibers. I had 5 one shot kills with mine on game from impala up yo a massive zebra stallion. Both my PHs were impressed with its performance on game. I would have liked an Eland but time and money were against me. Maybe one day.
Bob
No issue with the caliber, was just a tongue in cheek comment. Had great fun with Randy and Shannon.
20220326_135408.jpg

The next day I left Warren’s farm to hunt with another outfitter. After my hunt with them was over, we were on our way to the airport when I received a WhatsApp from Warren. He told me he had just seen my bull. Further messages revealed the bull had lost condition, was all by himself, and likely wouldn't make it through the winter. I was happy the bull had won but a bit sad knowing he would soon fall to the veld.

Now, after nearly three years, I was back at Warren’s side and sitting in the donga looking at two mature bulls. Eventually a female warthog came out of the brush and stood near the bigger of the two bulls. The two stared at each other for a few moments before the warthog flipped her head and bluff rushed at the bull. He bolted a dozen meters or so and so did the other bull. After a small while, three smaller bulls moved out and took the place where the two bigger bulls had been before the warthog ran them out. The two bigger bulls could still occasionally be seen but had moved farther down the ridge. The smaller bulls were beginning to move off, seemingly taking my hopes with them.

I settled back to watch the night close in. Warren whispered that he could see the legs of another kudu coming. “Bullshit,” I thought to myself. Mentally I had taken note of what was on the hillside and believed all kudu had passed by. Warren again whispered he believed he saw legs and my thoughts were again repeated. Warren’s next words caught me by surprise, “You can take this one if you want to.” I looked above us and saw a beautiful bull. I looked at the tops of his horns and saw that they were long and finished. His look was quite different than those seen prior. Immediately I said I would take him.

I moved a bit to reach for the rifle we have lovingly named “Bob.” Bob of course was named after our own Bob Nelson, the Australian man who has single-handedly been preaching the virtues of the .35 Whelen. The rifle named Bob was recently put together from a Remington Sportsman 78 action by my local gunsmith. After exhaustively trying to get it to shoot accurately with 225 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips, I tried some bulk 200 grain Remington Core-Lokts salvaged from an estate and found a load that held good accuracy.

My movement for the rifle did not go unnoticed. A few of the bulls were watching but not yet alarmed. I moved into an odd prone position, propping up a possibles bag as a rest. The bull was somewhat quartering towards us and staring at our odd forms below in the washed out donga. The shot was not far, less than 125 yards, but I struggled a bit to get the crosshairs where they needed to be. As the crosshairs moved back and forth across the bull’s chest, Bob finally tired of waiting and fired. I heard the bullet hit as the bull wheeled and tore off across the hillside. I climbed out of the dry wash, dropped to a kneeling position and contemplated sending an insurance shot. Though the bull appeared to be running strong, he was losing elevation as he ran. I held off on shooting and the bull disappeared into a thick patch of spekboom. We heard a crash and for a moment, labored breathing. Warren lit a cigarette and we watched that patch of hillside until his smoke was finished. We moved slowly and cautiously towards the thick spekboom patch where my bull was found, stone dead.

We found the bullet had entered the chest on the left side, angled back and exited the top of the back behind the shoulders.

For me, a mount represents a memory. I have a mule deer mount that reminds me of miserable mountain weather, time spent deep in the wilderness with a high-school friend, a mouse that wouldn't leave my chocolate stash alone and a tree that blew over between our two tiny tents. The fact the mount is of a very large mule deer is secondary to these memories. Other mounts in my home evoke unique memories of times spent in the field with my father.

Many reading this report will point out that this bull is not 50 inches and that is true. Hunting is not about inches. The bull is not the largest I’ve seen on Warren’s; not by a long shot, but he is beautiful. He is perfect to represent my wonderful friends and their farm. He is perfect to remind me of the squeaks and rattles an old Land Cruiser makes while moving along farm roads. He is perfect to remind me of all the time sitting under plumb trees with binoculars in hand watching countless numbers of kudu slowly making their way out of the brushy mountains, and of finally seeing a very nice hunt come together.

*** I will try to add photos later... this computer is giving me fits.
View attachment 461928
Beautiful animal!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillianPet

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.