SOUTH AFRICA: Dugga Boy In The Salt Cutting Edge Bullets Get An A

Thank you all! Gizmo it was your awesome report that caused me to look for another bullet, so in a way you are a part of that story! Glad your trophies are on the way buddy!

So we go through the photo session afterward and loaded the buff on the Toyota, which shocked me as he looked as big as the truck! Then I asked if I could leave my grand fathers hunting cap where my buff fell. He was a big game hunter who hunted moose his whole life, but never made it to Africa. My PH allowed me so I hung his hat in the tree that my buff fell under. Now we were off to the skinning shed. The whole way over there I talked my PH's head off about AH.com and telling him I promised a report on how the bullets did. We skinned the buff out and the Raptor made an impressive exit wound on the far side. The peddles mostly all had their own exit wounds, though they were tiny. The skin was not trashed by all the wounds which in my opinion was a big plus. The internals were shredded such as lungs, liver, etc and it appeared as though the Raptor didn't lose it's peddles until inside the chest cavity creating tremendous damage. The solid of course had a nice neat .458 hole all the way through so it was easy determine pathways of both bullets. The raptor penetrating his leg bone and out the rib cage did exactly as advertise. My PH was very impressed as were the other PH's when they looked at my trophies later in the hunt. So now I am up to 4 boxes requested by the safari PH staff including the owner, and I was not allowed to leave with any Raptors in my possession as the owner also shoots a .458 Win. Mag. on dangerous game.

The following morning we went across the river to Kruger for the day. The amount of game was astounding! The dugga boys in Kruger were so old and many were missing one or both horns. The young bulls both in Kruger and on the concession we hunted were amazing in spread and boss'. Who ever hunts there in the next few years is sure to get a wonderful trophy. I don't remember if I put out my bulls dimensions, so due to pride, I'll tell you again. He has 15" boss' and 35" spread. The boss' are what I am most proud of!

The morning after Kruger we loaded up and drove 3 hours North to "Main Camp". There we stayed in the Buffalo lodge and it was absolutely amazing! We ate Kudu, my Steenbok, and my Impala all week long and even some of my buff! All was absolutely mouth watering, and meat in which I could get here in the States. Cape to Cairo was my outfitter and I give them an A+++ rating. Every need or desire was met on this safari and it was priced very affordably.

Well now I had a lot of time and filled it with more animals. My wife wanted a zebra, and little did I know how damn hard that would be... We were taken to a meat camp daily to hunt the zebra. Now I don't know if any of you hunted one and had as hard as a time as I did, but brother, that is hard hunting! Nat Geo is a liar, as I spent two days sweating, bleeding from thorns, twisting ankles, and only getting two 200+ yards shots, missing both as the .458 hasn't ever even tried that before! I wasn't expecting to add animals, I know should have listened to you guys, and the damn wildebeasts busted us everytime we got within Christian shooting ranges. There is nothing more demoralizing then walking through thorns and thick jess for hours just to hear the hoof beats leaving you and never even get a look. Finally my old out of shape self told my young PH, I was done with those damn zebra this trip. On the way out and back to main camp we came across an amazing 4.5" Steenbok! I got off the truck and stalked him a short way then whacked him. The Raptor once again was amazing! I didn't destroy the little guy at all! The peddles were shed and the shank made about a 3" hole on the opposite side. Once again, my PH told me he would really like me to send him some, lol.

The net day we were off and I shot an amazing Impala ram on a dried river bed not even 2 hours into that days hunt. Took him to the skinning shed, and went back out intending to get a baboon. Well, and even larger Impala came along so I took him as well. That guy measured 25.5"!!! So now I had 4 animals in the salt and my wife aand wallet said no more. That left only 1 day which we filled with shooting at the range, loved the .450 Akley, and swimming. The staff made me drinks that made the heat dye off immediately and we feasted on my game. Then back the following day.

As my first huntreport, I know I have missed a ton of info, but I hope you enjoyed and enjoy the pics. This was a long time coming and a dream come true. If you haven't yet bagged your buff, stay the course as it is so worth the wait! I am having my buff's back skin made into a culling belt, knife sheath, and rifle sling. That way my first buff will always be with me on future safari's. That is how special it is folks!

Great report, congratulations! Very glad to see the CEB's worked out well for you. You report of their performance and your PH's reaction is something I've read many times before. I've not had the opportunity to hun buff yet, but my plan is to have the 420gr Raptors with the 450gr matching solids in my .458B&M when I do.

For PG, you might want to give the CEB 260gr SOCOMs a go in your rifle. I used these in my .458B&M this past summer. My load runs 2900fps and is quite accurate to 200yards and beyond. Somewhere between 200 and 300 yards the bullet does drop in a big way due to the low BC. But at least to 200 yards it works quite well. The biggest animal I dropped was a Gemsbok bull. Broadside shot through the shoulders to which the animal dropped, got up, spun around throwing blood everywhere and finally dropping in the same spot.

Yeah I'm a fan of those bullets now, absolute reapers! I would have loaded a lighter bullet for the PG, but I wasn't expecting to hut anything else. TV always make the buff hunts go to the last day, so that is what I planned for especially looking for a Dugga Boy, but Joe put me on him and he was in the salt on day two! I teased him all week about him doing that on purpose so he could tape the animal price list on the dash next to a credit card machine, lol....

... I am having my buff's back skin made into a culling belt, knife sheath, and rifle sling. That way my first buff will always be with me on future safari's. That is how special it is folks!

Great idea. Where are you getting it done? And, please post pictures when it is.

I like the photo of your tribute hat to your grandfather. Sounds like you truly had a heck of a safari, congratulations. Sure made me miss Africa.

Great idea. Where are you getting it done? And, please post pictures when it is.
I will post the pics. The taxidermist game me the name and number of a guy that does great work. The info is at the house, and I, unfortunately, am back at work trying to make enough to go back for elephant! I will post the info though.

I like the photo of your tribute hat to your grandfather. Sounds like you truly had a heck of a safari, congratulations. Sure made me miss Africa.
Me too! Thank you!

Here is a pic of my Steenbok. He measured 4.5"!

IMG_2391.JPG

@Panielsen, I forgot to mention that CEB bullets are available in RSA at a shop in the Joburg area. If you contact CEB, I'm sure they could tell you the name of the shop and pass that along to your PH.

@Panielsen, I forgot to mention that CEB bullets are available in RSA at a shop in the Joburg area. If you contact CEB, I'm sure they could tell you the name of the shop and pass that along to your PH.
I will! I did promise them I would send them a box, but an address and phone number in SA would also be a great gift to them, thank you! We all were just amazed at the bullets performance. I let the owner shoot a couple of my loads through his .458 Win Mag and he said they felt hotter than his, and were very accurate. I think it is just the different burn rate on the powders they use vs. us as they told me they have to use slower burning powders. In any event I was stripped of remaining Raptors before leaving for the airport, Lol!

Great trip mate !
Any chance of seeing your impala ?
Im bloody jealous , ! awesome bull and 2 top impala .
Can you sleep properly yet ???
Ha !!!!
Cheers Dory

Oh, and no not sleeping right yet. I'm still reliving the safari in my sleep!

Great buff sir! Also a great hunting report!

Great bull, congratulations and thanks for the read!
Cody

The horse wearing pyjamas all day long is NO EASY hunt!!!!! You ended your hunt report very well... once again, CONGRATS on a very successful first African hunt... GREAT touch to leave G'pa's cap in the tree where your first buff fell... very emotional.

Congrats man! Happy this all worked out for you!

Thank you all! @CAustin, that was a great elephant you got there! I couldn't remember if I had posted on your thread or not, but well done!

I just realized I forgot to tell you all about my outfitter! I am sorry, I completely dropped the ball here. I used Cape to Cairo, who is owned and operated by Cedric Nieuwoudt. He and his wife are absolutely amazing people who really care about your hunting experience as a whole. They arranged flights, hotel, and every small detail in between. While Cedric couldn't make my hunt himself, he normally does join you personally on your hunt. Cedric called me several times before, during, and after the trip to see how I was doing and making sure we didn't have any needs etc. that went unanswered. I will use them for upcoming safari's just because the customer service has been amazing. I would recommend to anyone who like myself planning their first trip to contact Cedric. He will speak to you himself and is willing to make all your plans for you if you wish. The accommodations were, IMO, first rate, food was amazing, and the staff in the field took care of our every need. I am sure there are a lot of great outfitters in Africa, but I can only speak for one from personal experience at this time, and they are great. I give Cape to Cairo an A+ grade and am willing to discuss with any of you personally on my own experience with them. See their link if you are looking!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AshleyOyi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg