SOUTH AFRICA: Back To Limpopo With Cheetau Safaris In 2021

I enjoyed your tale. It sounds like some good hard hunting with well earned trophies. Congrats.

I really enjoyed reading your report. I like your direct organized writing about each hunt, very easy to follow. I get really excited about bushpigs and warthogs too. I like your note at end about eland. I’ve only taken 1 buffalo but 5 eland, I think I get more excited about eland. My 2nd buffalo hunt will be in September so maybe I will change but I don’t think so. Thanks for writing.

What else did you see for animals on the property that you weren’t specifically hunting? Looks like it would be a good bushbuck property?

You saw a very rare thing when the herd returned and began to hook your bull. My old friend Boet van Aarve in Mozambique has seen them do it exactly twice (Zambezi Delta), and my PH Phillip Bronkhorst had only witnessed it once before a herd performed the exact same ritual on my last bull in the Limpopo.

Congrats on a hard earned, great bull.
Thanks. Of course I had no idea how rare this was when I saw it. I knew it was incredible but not quite this rare!

Why is it that we only seem to see things when we aren't quite experienced enough to fully appreciate them?

What else did you see for animals on the property that you weren’t specifically hunting? Looks like it would be a good bushbuck property?
I saw a great kudu bull, a klippy that I almost shot, and lots of other animals. I'm sure there are great Bushbuck here - apparently the #2 taken in SA is from this property. He's in the 3 br house in the lodge area. He's so big he doesn't look like a bushbuck. But I never saw a good one. I love bushbuck and would never pass up a good one, regardless of what I was hunting.

I was also told there are great old blue eland in the mountains. Saw lots of sign but only a couple young bulls. Saw tracks that were bigger than buff tracks.

Another very rare thing as you well know. Many folks go to Africa multiple times without ever seeing one, much less bringing one home.
My PH was so excited when we saw the bushpig in daylight. Shooting one during the day has to be rare as hens teeth. I was very excited about him and am truly humbled.

My PH was so excited when we saw the bushpig in daylight. Shooting one during the day has to be rare as hens teeth. I was very excited about him and am truly humbled.
I took my bushpig last March in daylight/last light too. My PH got as excited as you describe too, NOTHING else mattered in those 20 minutes other than getting to and shooting that bushpig. It was one of the highlights of that hunt. I’ve taken 3 so far but none the size of yours yet, you were really lucky. I think I’m going to have to do a baited hunt to get a real trophy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on a successful safari. Great animals and report.

Great report! Congrats on your hunt and thanks for sharing.

Love that bushpig! They look so cool. I hope to get one one of these days!

Great adventure so far @Goose Cracker ! keep it coming!
And that Warthog looks mighty fine to my eyes ;)

Congrats on your hunt. Sounds to me like you really earned your trophies. You remember them better that way. Nice buff. In fact just some really nice trophies. Well done. I also like your writing style. Easy to read.
Bruce

Great report. I have hunted that same area twice and yes those mountains are the real deal for us guys from Texas. I'd be interested in those boots as well. And you aren't lying, my Courtneys are HEAVY. I'm contemplating not even packing them with me to Zim this summer. What size did you get, what American size do you usually wear and why were they too big? Too wide etc ?

Great report. I have hunted that same area twice and yes those mountains are the real deal for us guys from Texas. I'd be interested in those boots as well. And you aren't lying, my Courtneys are HEAVY. I'm contemplating not even packing them with me to Zim this summer. What size did you get, what American size do you usually wear and why were they too big? Too wide etc ?
I generally wear a 9.5 in the US, but a 10 in some athletic shoes.

I ordered a UK 9 in these van Heerden's and that was definitely too big. Should have gone with an 8. Don't think he does half sizes so we rounded up and that was a mistake.

I think these van Heerdens are more for casual wear than hunting. There were guys wearing them around the farm, but I'd want something waterproof, with better ankle support, and more aggressive soles in the Waterberg Mountains. They might work in the Kalahari or a much more dry, sandy, less rocky area. I'd certainly add some good ortho insoles to them. So handsome tho.

Yeah website recommends going down if you wear a 1/2 size. Were you not able to go to the store front (I assume they have one- maybe that's American thinking :oops: ) and try them on ?

What a great report, and it was not long winded at all. I love to read detailed hunts, it helps me visualize what you saw through your own eyes. Congrats on some great animals taken. Well done!

Where in FL are you from? I moved from Homestead, FL to Warner Robins GA with the military. Decided to stay here after retiring from the military life. :)

Yeah website recommends going down if you wear a 1/2 size. Were you not able to go to the store front (I assume they have one- maybe that's American thinking :oops: ) and try them on ?
No store front. Made to order. Had to give him a week to get them done.

Great hunt and great report ufg, I really lived along with you there. I have lived here all my life and never seen a bushpig, day or night. The odds against that must be pretty high, so maybe they will all come trotting along on my next hunt. On the Courteneys, I found the Bovines much lighter and more comfortable. I also put jelly heels in them and that really transforms the step. Your Caprivi really looks the part, very handsome rifles.

What a great report, and it was not long winded at all. I love to read detailed hunts, it helps me visualize what you saw through your own eyes. Congrats on some great animals taken. Well done!

Where in FL are you from? I moved from Homestead, FL to Warner Robins GA with the military. Decided to stay here after retiring from the military life. :)
Grew up in Yulee, FL. Ft Dix, Ft Eustis, Ft Hood, and Craig Airfield w FLARNG while working full time to put myself through Finance undergrad at UF (Gainesville). Then Dallas, Boston, and Atlanta area since 1996.

Grew up in Yulee, FL. Ft Dix, Ft Eustis, Ft Hood, and Craig Airfield w FLARNG while working full time to put myself through Finance undergrad at UF (Gainesville). Then Dallas, Boston, and Atlanta area since 1996.
You dont see a double rifle in your future? If you do that second buff will draw you in like a magnet, they are good for eland too!

You dont see a double rifle in your future? If you do that second buff will draw you in like a magnet, they are good for eland too!
I definitely see Moz and Caprivi Strip trips in my future. But no double. I can't see well enough to see rear/front/animal to use the irons confidently and don't have the heart to install a red dot on one. Plus the combo of cost, fitting, regulation, and very few smiths who can work on them has put me off. But I'll never say never.

I do think a Blaser is in my future, especially now that there are custom aftermarket barrels.

This Kimber will remain my primary buff gun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoelKalman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg