SOUTH AFRICA: 1st Safari With Lategan Safaris

FB1416

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hello, just returned from our first safari and wanted to share our experience with everyone. First, let me start by saying I have dreamed of Africa since
my early 20's and now 30 years later it finally became a reality. When I was young, even though I had no money and no hope of going on safari, I attended
the DSC convention without fail. Over the years life got in the way and I quit attending. Three years ago, I decided to go once again. We stopped by the booth
of Lategan Safaris in the Eastern Cape and spoke with their oldest son at some length. My fiancee and I were very much impressed by the young man's hospitality and charm. The next year we returned and spoke with both Bennie and Carien and felt an immediate connection with them. They seemed to be (and are) very caring people who provide their client's with a very personal experience at their ranch. Long story short, I talked my long time hunting buddy into going and we booked a hunt for June 2021.

Obviously in the meanwhile COVID hit, but after much trepidation, we arrived at Bloemfontein airport and Carien was there to greet us and had already taken care of our firearm paperwork for us. Two hours later we were enjoying welcome drinks at their beautiful Bushmen's River Lodge. The next week is still surreal, but suffice to say we experienced one of, if not the best, week of our lives. I managed to take trophies of Kudu, Gemsbok, Black Wildebeest, Impala, Blesbok, and Copper Springbok. The Wildebeest, Springbok, and Blesbok were especially old, great trophies. The ranch is beautiful with rugged terrain and the views from our Chalet were amazing. We did visit two different ranches to hunt specific animals and both were very challenging hunting in rugged landscapes. Aside from the great hunting was the great relationships we forged with Bennie and Carien as well as our PH, VJ. I would recommend him wholeheartedly as an outstanding guide and companion to spend your days with. Everyone went out of their way to provide exceptional service and an unforgettable experience. From the excellent cuisine that we dined on nightly, to drinks by the fire, to our daily laundry service, everything was taken care of down to the smallest detail.

I would just like to say thank you, and we will be back very soon. Can not recommend Lategan Safaris enough!

wildebeest.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! Congrats, I would love to see some pictures of your trophies and i know other folks around here would too.

First of all, welcome to AH. Congratulations on your first of what we hope will be many safaris.
I’d love to hear more details: rifles used, description of the hunt for each animal and definitely photos.

Here are photos for now. I will for sure describe when I have more time. I just used my Weatherby 270 with 140 grain Hornady SST. Worked great, all except the Gemsbok essentially one shot kills. Put a not necessary follow up in Blesbok and Wildebeest. Guy in the big hat is my friend.

Cruse hartebeest.jpg
Kudu 3.jpg
Cruse impala.jpg
wildebeest.jpg
impala.jpg
Blesbok.jpg
gemsbok.jpg
Cruse springbok.jpg
Springbok.jpg
VJ.jpg
Fire.jpeg
BBQ.jpg
Scenery.jpg

Welcome and congrats - Looks like you guys had a great time!

Thank you. It was awesome. Can't not wait to go back. Next time really want a Nyala!

Nice report, congrats on a great trip.

Most challenging and rewarding hunt was our gemsbok hunt. We drove to a different property which consisted of very open plains scattered with large steep hills that were covered with loose rocks. We were actually looking for either Kudu or Gemsbok. Midmorning we spotted a group of four Kudu in a low spot in a grove of large trees. One was a huge bull. We circled completely around them and made a great stalk using a dry gulch which was about four feet deep. Just as we came out the lead cow sensed something was off and the Kudu started down the treeline, but still just at a trot. We got set up on the sticks and the large bull cleared the treeline and started up a small rise at 60 yards from us. I was tracking him and then he paused and stopped. I was just about to pull the trigger when the PH said don't shoot. Sure enough he had stopped directly in front of one the cows. When they took off again let's suffice to say they did not slow up again. After a long , futile trail we finally had to resign ourselves to trudging back to the cruiser.

After breaking for quick boxed lunch we proceeded to trudge up and down the hills glassing in vain. Finally around 3 pm we spotted a large gemsbok bull which my friend lost on the first stalk and then made a spirited stalk which was somewhat comical as I watched him try to run across the rock filled ridge to cut off the bull which already was headed up the adjacent hill. He finally got in position and caught his breathe enough only to squeezed the trigger and nothing. He actually had a misfire. He then hurriedly worked the bolt and and fired hitting the bull a little far back. After another sprint, my friend is a great guy, but not a runner, he finally was able to finish the bull off.

By the time we finished with his bull it was after 4 and the day was waning fast. Just before dark we spotted four gemsbok at the base of a sizeable hill. We made the stalk and as we were trying to discern if one was a shooter bull, you guessed it, up the hill they went. I consider myself in pretty good shape for my age but trying to keep up with our tracker and VJ, our PH, especially on what seemed like our twentieth trek up a hill about finished me. Twice we nearly had shots only to be thwarted. Finally, just as we were about out of daylight the bull crossed an opening at the end of the hill. He never stopped and just as he was about to step back into the brush, I touched off. He looked hit good, but you guessed it, all four gemsbok went off the end of the hill and down nearly a sheer, rocky slope. We ran to spot them in which I kicked a rock and somehow did my best contortionist impression to avoid busting my proverbial you know what. We spotted three going across the open plain. We then spotted pretty good blood and started tracking down the extremely rocky decline. About halfway down our tracker spotted the bull at the bottom of the hill under a lone tree. An extremely unstable second shot put him down.

It was an excellent and rewarding end to a long and hard day of hunting!

You only have one "First" Safari and it looks like you took full advantage and you'll be having a second one. Well done and congratulations, thanks for posting.

Welcome.............excellent hunt and report..................keep it coming...........love the trophies. ......FWB

Hello, just returned from our first safari and wanted to share our experience with everyone. First, let me start by saying I have dreamed of Africa since
my early 20's and now 30 years later it finally became a reality. When I was young, even though I had no money and no hope of going on safari, I attended
the DSC convention without fail. Over the years life got in the way and I quit attending. Three years ago, I decided to go once again. We stopped by the booth
of Lategan Safaris in the Eastern Cape and spoke with their oldest son at some length. My fiancee and I were very much impressed by the young man's hospitality and charm. The next year we returned and spoke with both Bennie and Carien and felt an immediate connection with them. They seemed to be (and are) very caring people who provide their client's with a very personal experience at their ranch. Long story short, I talked my long time hunting buddy into going and we booked a hunt for June 2021.

Obviously in the meanwhile COVID hit, but after much trepidation, we arrived at Bloemfontein airport and Carien was there to greet us and had already taken care of our firearm paperwork for us. Two hours later we were enjoying welcome drinks at their beautiful Bushmen's River Lodge. The next week is still surreal, but suffice to say we experienced one of, if not the best, week of our lives. I managed to take trophies of Kudu, Gemsbok, Black Wildebeest, Impala, Blesbok, and Copper Springbok. The Wildebeest, Springbok, and Blesbok were especially old, great trophies. The ranch is beautiful with rugged terrain and the views from our Chalet were amazing. We did visit two different ranches to hunt specific animals and both were very challenging hunting in rugged landscapes. Aside from the great hunting was the great relationships we forged with Bennie and Carien as well as our PH, VJ. I would recommend him wholeheartedly as an outstanding guide and companion to spend your days with. Everyone went out of their way to provide exceptional service and an unforgettable experience. From the excellent cuisine that we dined on nightly, to drinks by the fire, to our daily laundry service, everything was taken care of down to the smallest detail.

I would just like to say thank you, and we will be back very soon. Can not recommend Lategan Safaris enough!

View attachment 409893
Fantastic photos and trip. I am planning my first and trying to see and learn as much as I can . Congratulations on a great first trip.

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Congrats on your hunt !

Welcome to AH @FB1416 ! and congratulations on your first safari, I'm sure you are already planning the next one :) thanks for sharing!

Welcome aboard and congratulations on your success!

My blesbok hunt was also memorable. Early that morning we headed to a more open, plains area of the ranch where a lot of the blesbok and springbok seemed to congregate. The morning was overcast and somewhat chilly. We spotted a lone bull and made a quick stalk only to have him spook and take off. After circling around the direction he ran, sure enough he had fallen in with the herd. I could hear my PH muttering to himself (Did not know this, but herd hunting is way more difficult). Nevertheless, we made several attempts to get within shooting range with no success. Finally, the herd galloped off in earnest. As it was nearing lunch time we started back. Before traveling too far, VJ spotted a group of about 10 that had split off on the adjacent ridge. Sure enough, our bull was one of them. What ensued was a very impressive stalk conducted by VJ. We slowly made our way to a clump of trees that had smaller bushes to the left of them that we could barely see over. We stayed there motionless for what seemed an eternity. Finally we crawled through the smaller bushes to sit and look and sure enough the group of blesbok emerged contentedly feeding moving from our left to right at about a 100 yards. As the old male stepped out between two small trees, VJ set the sticks up. Right as I got him in the scope another blesbok walked and stopped right in front of our target. And stood there. And stood there. The longer I stood there on the sticks, the more I started to wobble. Finally, movement and a window to fire. At the shot, the blesbok hunched up and literally did not move for about 30 seconds. He then started to slowly walk away, refusing to go to the ground for good. A quick follow up shot finished him. I was ecstatic, but I think my PH, VJ was even more excited. He stated this was a very old bull whose horns had been rubbed white on the fronts. He too was excited for the final part of the stalk which had taken over 45 minutes. Lunch, albeit late, certainly tasted better after this.

Some nice looking animals. A first safari is special. Congrats on having a good time and some good trophies.
Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CaitlynBou

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you