Some rifles I have stocked or built

Stock inletting and shaping.
Stock inletting.
Wether by hand or machine, the barrelled action needs to be fitted down into the stock blank. Here we concentrate on hand work and so a colletion of very sharp chisels and scrapers are required. The larger volume of wood removal needed for the magazine well can be augmented by carefull drilling, preferably with a drill press or mill to keep things square to the top line and from where the stock is rested as is the drilling for the action screws with the finishing of the interior wood removal being finished with chisel and scraper. Anyone contemplating doing this work should have a clear understanding of wood working methods as this is not the place to learn care and controll of these tools and how the grain of the wood can have varying degrees of cutting ability with the potential for spliting, chiping and other possible stock destroying results of careless work. Slow and carefull is the only advise that can be offered with the liberal use of a smoker inetting black or other action marking method so the marked areas can be attended to. Care needs to be taken to check for draft on the vertical areas of the action, with draft being a minor widening of the metal as it seats into the wood to ensure a tight wood to metal fit on assembly. The barrel channel can be opened up with special barrel channel rasps or it can be carefully rough cut by chisel and then scrapers or coarse sand or emery paper wrapped around various sized dowels can be used till it is close then finer grades of paper untill there is a tightly fitted barrel which can then be relieved for a floated barrel which will negate any minor stockwood changes due to temperature, humidity or even the ingress of dust etc in the hunting field which might effect or cause pressure on one part of the barrel and consequently effect the rifles accuracy.

The inletting is a particularly important part of the building process, simply because the accuracy of the finished rifle will depend to a large extent on how well the barrelled action nestles into its stock. There is tradition that says it should look as if the metal has grown out of the wood and while this is a laudable intent, there are places where there needs to be clearance to ensure the prolonged integrity of the rifle.

For a heavy recoiling rifle there needs to be clearance around the rear of the tang, and any pillar between the tang and the bottom metal needs an oversized hole for the action screw so that the pillar is not driven rearwards (potentially causing spliting into the wrist) due to the wood sourounding the mag well flexing as the action, locked into the stock by the recoil lug tries to drive back to the rear.

The recoil lug needs clearance at the sides and to the front to facilitate the easy removal of the action from the stock.

There needs to be clearance around the barrel from the chamber forward with everything else fitted tight and true. If a forend tip is required the forarm is cut to the desired length and the block of buffalo horn, ebony or other exotic wood is doweled and glued into position before the final barrel channel work is done.

Shaping is the next most important part of the process. Obviously the understanding of the previously discussed design paremeters in the form of the length of pull, comb and heel drop, pitch cast and cant , have been drawn into the outline. The grip cap and recoil pad is marked into position and fitted so that their outline can determine the shape of these areas and with plane, rasps, files, chisels and various grades of sand paper the desired finished shape is bought into the light of day. This is where the knoweledgable stockmaker may make subtle adjustments to the various areas of the stock to get the balance spoken of above that will bring the handling characteristics that are so desirable in a stalking rifle.

There are many different aproaches to the butt plate-recoil pad and from full steel plates to toe and heel caps, leather coverd rubber pads to buffalo horn, the variety is only limited by the purpose the rifle will be put to and the level of recoil that needs mitigating.

When everything is as it should be, the finishing can be contemplated and it needs to be on a surface that has been sanded down with a wet and dry paper graded at least in the 400 and preferably in the 600 grit range.

The stock is then wetted with a cloth dipped into a bowl of hot water and left to dry for the whickering process to lift any fiber ends that are then sanded off again with the 600 grit paper. The wetting and whiskering needs done at least twice more with finer and finer grades of paper and depending on the density of the particular wood being worked on, may need doing 3 or 4 times until the wetting raises no more whiskers.

There are many different ways of putting a finish into the wood surface to ensure that there is no water soakage possible and any atmospheric humidity flucuations are not going to be able to migrate into the wood causing swelling, warping and accuracy issues.

All surfaces must be treated and the grip cap if screwd rather than being glued on, and butt plate or recoil pad need to be removed for this to be accomplished.

The various commercial finishes will come with their own instructions but I prefer the time tested pure tung oil. The oil is cut 50/50 with vegetabe turps and the stock is swamped with this mix every 5 minutes or so until the uptake slows down and then after another 15 minutes I wipe the stock down hard with a lint free cloth. Left for 24 hours the same 50/50 mix is then rubed into the stock using 600 grit W&D paper and it goes without saying that following the grain with the paper is how this is done. This creates a light slurry on the surface of the stock and this is rubed in, in a circular motion with the bare hands and again after 15 min to a half hour the cloth is used to lightly wipe off the excess.

This precess is repeated daily untill the pores are all filled and then the stock is rubed back down to the surface with the fine W&D.

Now the actual finish can be applied and whether using the undiluted pure tung oil, done by putting a few drops into the hand and rubbing it into the wood, where the less is more certainly applies. Rubbing briskly to create warmth leaves the surface with just the faintest wet look and is left asside for at least 24 hours before repeating again and again as this needs doing daily but the purpose is the have the oil in the wood rather than on the surface.

There is a tradition that says you need a coat a day for a week, and coat a week for a month, a coat a month for a year and a coat a year for life. I have found on the few good quality walnut stocks I have been priveledged to build I have done the first 7 or 8 coats on a daily basis and then every two days after that for up to 20 coats with the lasy coat rubbed with a corase cloth so that there is a low sheen or eggshell lustre to the wood with a depth of colour that is a treat for the senses. Paitence is required and amply rewarded.

There are other finishing recipies that have been perfected with equal mixtures of tung oil, vegetablle turps, alkali refined linseed oill and spar varnish being one of the better ones where this mixture is brushed on left for 10 minutes and rubbed off repeated four times the first day, three times the second day,twice the third day and once the fourth day.

Whichever finish is put on the stock, whether traditional or modern, the main purpose apart from securing the underlying wood from the effects of moisture or humidity, is to bring out the natural colour and grain structure of the wood with the resulting enjoyment of the beauty inherent in this personally designed and crafted rifle stock that will not only increase the hunting success but will bring with it the satisfaction and imense pride of such a perfectly fitted, beautifully presented custom rifle stock.

That was quite a lesson....
Some of the stock dimension items have remained esoteric in my mind. I guess I did apply many of them back when adjusting a rifle stock to my liking. That rifle allowed quite flexible adjustment of LOP, cheekpiece height and angle, the height and angle of the butt pad.

I hadn't realized that creating a beautiful finish would take so much time and so many phases.

That was quite a lesson....
Some of the stock dimension items have remained esoteric in my mind. I guess I did apply many of them back when adjusting a rifle stock to my liking. That rifle allowed quite flexible adjustment of LOP, cheekpiece height and angle, the height and angle of the butt pad.

I hadn't realized that creating a beautiful finish would take so much time and so many phases.

Anything that is not clear I can try and expand on. When I wrote that I was trying to cover all the basics without being too long winded about it as that can lead some to scan and skip portions missing out on the essentials. We are wonderfully adaptable in the way we can use many different rifles with good results but for a stock that really fits us, we do need to take all these aspects into consideration.

Some lovely work mate, I would like to have a go at making a fitted stock for myself one day but so far I have only refinished two.
Cheers for taking the effort to put all this together for us.

Some lovely work mate, I would like to have a go at making a fitted stock for myself one day but so far I have only refinished two.
Cheers for taking the effort to put all this together for us.

Never hard to talk about a passion to those who understand

Unlike the professionals with all the mechanical gear to carve and inlet I have hand tools so this is what use and today I made a start on a stock for an early (english) style stalking rifle for a friends rifle that came down from his father (recently deceased) It had a euro stock that didnt fit him so hence the new stock. A little different as he is in the US and sending the barreled action is not an option so parts from my 'spares' box come into play. I do have his bottom metal and the bare bolt as the handle has a slight curve.
S1.png

IMG_20200220_135753.jpg

IMG_20200220_140127.jpg

S2.png

Still got some depth to go but happy with where it is for the day.
S3.png

Unlike the professionals with all the mechanical gear to carve and inlet I have hand tools so this is what use and today I made a start on a stock for an early (english) style stalking rifle for a friends rifle that came down from his father (recently deceased) It had a euro stock that didnt fit him so hence the new stock. A little different as he is in the US and sending the barreled action is not an option so parts from my 'spares' box come into play. I do have his bottom metal and the bare bolt as the handle has a slight curve.
View attachment 331173

View attachment 331169

View attachment 331170

View attachment 331174
Still got some depth to go but happy with where it is for the day.
View attachment 331175

Thank you for the detailed pictures. I enjoy woodworking and have ambitions to one day cut and fit my own stock. As I don’t have a duplicator either, the process will be similar to yours if only the results could be too.

Keep em coming.

A bit more on the stock today with the action into the wood. To keep it tight there is very little that comes off each smoke and try with the soot easily showing where the scraper needs to be depoloyed.
IMG_20200223_100331.jpg

The small scraper is used when it gets this close

IMG_20200223_100408.jpg

I have modified a few chisels as well with various shapes to get the curved bits right.

IMG_20200223_100854.jpg

This is about all that comes off each time the action is smoked and fitted

IMG_20200223_104624.jpg

Eventually it sits down snug though.

IMG_20200223_133140.jpg

I still had some afternoon to play with so started the bottom metal and as a cheat I have an old one that I cut the trigger bow off and the mag well. The missing TB allows for shaping of the stock in that area without worrying about marring the good bottom metal
IMG_20200223_135622.jpg

IMG_20200223_135642.jpg
IMG_20200223_163724.jpg

Really nice work? Question on the English style stalking rifles what do you use to determine the forend length? I’ve read forend length should be the same length as the receiver from bolt shroud to front ring, Ive also heard it depends on barrel length. I’ve measured several in person and in pictures some do seem to follow the action length measurements some longer some were shorter? I really like the stock on the rifle in your pic.

E38280C3-FB2A-42BA-A64E-4C4319A32434.jpeg
8F76E2AB-A448-49AA-84B8-E8A73D010E37.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Really nice work? Question on the English style stalking rifles what do you use to determine the forend length? I’ve read forend length should be the same length as the receiver from bolt shroud to front ring, Ive also heard it depends on barrel length. I’ve measured several in person and in pictures some do seem to follow the action length measurements some longer some were shorter? I really like the stock on the rifle in your pic.

I like to be 7 to 7 1/2 inches from the end of the receiver for my own for small to medium calibers but have done longer for some of the bigger ones. Sean has asked for 7 1/2 inches for this one. Sling eye on the barrel make this plenty for holding onto.

Inlet of action and bottom metal finished. I took an old barrel to be slightly re-shaped to conform to the pattern Sean sent and will pick it up next week so it will be back to some knives till then.
Inlet done..png

Made a start on the barrel channel this morning
IMG_20200329_100801.jpg

Having done the preliminary channel with straight chisels cutting across the grain it is then time to start the long process of scraping the fit in so at that stage this is what I see when smoking the barrel and transfering the soot to the channel
IMG_20200329_110513.jpg

These are the two main scrapers for the work till I get down to sanding rather than scraping. They are just old files I have bent and re-shaped for the purpose then re heat treated to harden the edge.

IMG_20200329_110644.jpg

I got a little video of the process

Made a start on the barrel channel this morning
View attachment 338617

Having done the preliminary channel with straight chisels cutting across the grain it is then time to start the long process of scraping the fit in so at that stage this is what I see when smoking the barrel and transfering the soot to the channel
View attachment 338618

These are the two main scrapers for the work till I get down to sanding rather than scraping. They are just old files I have bent and re-shaped for the purpose then re heat treated to harden the edge.

View attachment 338619

I got a little video of the process

I like those files. That looks like a useful shape; a beaver tail rather than a rat tail file. Somebody ought to sell those.

I like those files. That looks like a useful shape; a beaver tail rather than a rat tail file. Somebody ought to sell those.
These are equally handy and consist of short sections of various dia barrels that are sharpened and used as scrapers as well.
Photo1712.jpg
Photo1713.jpg
Photo1714.jpg
Photo1715.jpg

They get 4 uses before needing to be sharpened again. Loosen the end nut and turn the piece through 90* for a fresh edge and then it can be turned end for end for another 2 fresh edges.

I had put this asside for a bit as I was not happy with the wood in the stock I had started on. It was not really very dense so after a bit of debate with myself I scrapped it and started again today on a better blank I had. Nice straight grain but hard and a much better wood density so have almost got the action back down into the new blank
IMG_20200413_155240.jpg
IMG_20200413_164450.jpg

This one was a full custom in every sense of the word. The 6.5 Grendel-Max was a cartridge I developed from the standard Grendel cartridge as I felt there was more to be gained from it but I still wanted it to be house in one of the small Mini Mausers. I felt that if the shoulders were moved forward and the OAL was lengthened I would gain case capacity and considering that I was going to be using a bolt action rather than a semi auto, felt that it was a very workable challenge to see what I could make this little powerhouse do.
I wanted to be able to use the standard loading dies and having a liking for the Wilson straight line BR dies from previous BR loading for the 20VT and 7x57, I got a set to do the neck sizing and the loading and a Forster FLS die for the forming. It was going to require a little different approach to brass forming and loading but I thought that if it was as successfull as I imagined then it would be good for others without having to go to custom loading dies and fortunately that is how it turned out. I bought some brass and made what I intended to be the go guage for chambering the 6.5 barrel I bought.
First step was to increase neck dia with a 30 cal expander button
Because I needed to have the shoulder moved forward by .05 I made a .05 spacer for the top of the shell holder and epoxied it in place. The (white) .006 shim was for when I formed the rest of the cases so it would leave them with a .006 crush fit in the chamber for fireforming
View attachment 318362
When the case was lifted into the FLS die it would leave the shoulder long by .05 but because this was to be the go guage I wanted the remainder of the neck formed out to the correct shoulder so I then fitted a spent primer filled the case to half the neck height, made a tight fitting rod and used hydrolic pressure to form the full case shoulder through the top of the FLS die. I then was able to load a 123gn A Max so the start of the heel was right at the new shoulder - neck junction. The cartridge was now 2.405 OAL compared to the 2.225 for the standard case and a 10% capacity advantage
View attachment 318356
In light of this I drew up the reamer specs I wanted and sent them off to Mansons.
View attachment 318355
While I was waiting for that bought an Interarms Mark X mini mauser action.
View attachment 318364
The tiny little bolt handle was never going to be exceptable for me so it was cut off and I made a replacement one from a piece of 7/8 bolt. A drill locked in the vise served for a lathe and files for lathe tools.View attachment 318365

View attachment 318366
With that done I cut the rear off the mag box and made a dummy extension to check function with the longer cartridge.This removed the attachment screw location that holds the mag box in place but I figured it was unnecessary anyway and this proved to be the case.
View attachment 318369

I had to do a little rail work as the action had originally been for the smaller 223 case but it worked so I sent it to the GS to have this extension done and the barrel fitted. He used my dummy case as go guage and with a piece of tape on the base of the case for a no go guage.
Now all I needed was a stock to carry this little gem.
Von Gruff
I'm glad I'm not the only mad bastard when it comes to modifying cases. Mine stated as a 303 British case. As you would know it has been necked down to 25 caliber plus a host of others.
My case started as a standard 25/303. I took that case and moved the shoulder forward to reduce the neck length from .311 to a shorter. 257 length neck. The shoulder angle was changed to 35 degrees and the body taper was reduced to absolute minimum. The case now holds 64grains of 2213Sc to the base of the neck compared the standard 25/303s capacity of 45 grains. You definitely CANT USE ALL THAT POWDER AS IT WOULD BE WELL OVER PRESSURE. This was just to give an idea of the extra capacity.
I to got my reamer off Dave Manson, a great bloke to talk to and willing to discuss your needs and give advice.
I achieve similar accuracy out of my rifle but a lot higher velocity 3,300+fps with a 115grain nosler combined technology silver tip.
It's good to see their are or He rifle loonies out there.
Cheers mate
Bob Nelson
20200314_103204.jpg

100grain Barnes ttsx &115 grain nosler combined technology silver tip.
20200314_102751.jpg

200 yard group

Last edited by a moderator:
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen
The neck length is something I took from the 300 Win mag design in that a caliber length was sufficient for good accuracy especially if the brass was just neck sized to keep alignment good and I see you have done the same thing.
I found/find the reloading bench and the playing with the finer end of the discipline to be a facinating side obsession of the shooting game.
This was an important piece of writing that gave me a lot if information. Secrets of the Houston warehouse has to be one of the most in depth investigations into rifle accuracy and well worth the read.
http://2poqx8tjzgi65olp24je4x4n.wpe...-shooting-magazine-special-edition-1-1993.pdf

Attachments

• secrets-of-the-houston-warehouse-.pdf
    307.1 KB · Views: 103
Von Gruff, after reading that article I unhappily have to admit that I don't own a single accurate rifle. It was as you stated well worth the read.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,