Solid versus full metal jacket bullets

Just to explain bit more and hopefully avoid confusion, the badly deformed DGX bullet pictured above by Hallgeir G. is neither a FMJ or a Solid. It was a poorly designed expanding bullet ( The "X" designates expanding ) The DGX was replaced in recent years with a better bonded core design. The bullet pictured is often confused and compared with others when the discussion is about Hornady bullets. Hornady would have done a better job of marketing the DGX "bonded" if they changed the name to avoid association with the original design. The Hornady DGS "solid" seems to have a decent reputation.

Absolutely correct Longwalker!

DGX (X for "expanding") and DGS (S for "solid") are designed to shoot to the same point of aim but are two vastly different bullets. The pair is designed to provide the choice between expansion in soft tissues (e.g. double lung & heart shot from the side) and deep penetration through any bone structure (e.g. shoulder or brain shot on elephant, of "any-angle" follow up shot on heavies (Elephant, Hippo, Buffalo) running away from a non-lethal first shot). The DGX was indeed replaced by the DGX B (B for "bonded") that has earned to approval of Kevin "doctari" Robertson, the well know Zimbabwean veterinarian and PH. No faint praise!

I have had good results with it in .470 NE on Buff...

1623086249319.png

As to the advice given by some folks against using FMJ, I shall respectfully disagree.

Sure, Rare Breed, the monometal bullets are all the rage right now and the fashionable kids on the block, but they are not without their own challenges... the classic dilemma being to have them hard enough to not bend, but still malleable enough to not wipe out the rifling in the barrel, or crack the solder joint of the barrels on double rifles. A large number of designs have been gone through from what were generally groove calibers slugs in the beginning, to bore riders or semi-bore riders with stabilizing bands to take the rifling; and what was typically naval bronze initially (too hard!), to a collection of pure copper, brass, or various mixes of gilding material and softer bronzes. It seems that they have come to maturity now, and they certainly are good bullets...

But they do not kill any better than best quality (emphasis: best quality) jacketed solids such as produced by Woodleigh for example, or for that matter Hornady whose DGS has a rather good record in Africa.

So, yes, the monos are the latest evolution of "solids", and are indeed technically true solids, but that does not necessarily make obsolete the traditional jacketed slugs designed to be "solid" in the traditional understanding of the word in the context of African hunting. One advantage they retain is that they do not need to be as long as the monos to get to the proper weight because their lead core is typically heavier, and they have generally been designed to match the older Kynoch design so they generally shoot well in double rifles that were regulated with Kynoch...

I think that ChrisG's first post explains some of the confusion. The term FMJ as applied to military bullets designates bullets which are not designed for Buffalo or Elephant hunting, although cropping officers who used military 7.62x51 loads in their FAL to kill thousands of Elephant and Buffs in Rhodesia in control duties would likely disagree. The confusion comes from the fact that FMJ construction was and is still used (by Woodleigh for example) to designate bullets that ARE designed for deep penetration on DG and that have a much thicker jacket (the Brits used to call them "full patch").

In the context of a forum focused on Africa hunting, the likely understanding of FMJ should not be military FMJ but DG hunting FMJ, which work very well when of proposer design (i.e. jacket thick and tough enough).

As to their use on Buff, I agree with Red Leg. An AFrame or TSX that retains its integrity is a much better choice for Buff in a herd (it dramatically reduces the chances of collateral damage upon pass-through with the first shot). It is the rare PH who still recommends a solid for the first shot at Buff nowadays. The discussion remains open regarding up-the-rump follow-up shots. Solids still make sense because it is a long way to the vital from the tail end, but modern tough "softs" that retain 95%+ of their weight apparently finds their way there, when older cup & core softs that shed 40% to 50% of their weight did not...

Last edited:
And since Rare Breed is talking about .450/.400, this implies the definitely critical issue of how the bullet/load regulates in his Chapuis double rifle...

For example...

This Woodleigh FMJ loaded by Norma is definitely a "solid" in the traditional hunting sense of the term...

1623089723263.png

It shoots very well in my Krieghoff double at 50 yards for an elephant frontal brain shot - this is the load coming with me in Zimbabwe in August:

1623089822149.png

This Hornady DGS (Dangerous Game Solid) is definitely an FMJ...

1623089929597.png

It also shoots acceptably well in my double for an elephant frontal brain shot - I would adjust the Leica Tempus red dot 2 clicks down if I used this load for this hunt:

1623089981561.png

This monometal solid is a true solid in the dictionary sense of the term...

1623090074252.png

It does not regulate well enough in my rifle for an elephant frontal brain shot - although I could adjust the Leica Tempus red dot 2 clicks left to make it work if I had to use this load for this hunt, but it would not be ideal:

1623090151947.png

And this "soft" is actually of pretty tough expanding bullet of solid monometal construction...

1623090680813.png

And it is perfect for Buffalo in my rifle:

1623090733211.png

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross