Solid or Partition Bullets for African Lion

Hey Gizmo,

I've just picked up a Guide Gun in 375 Ruger. Not a bad firearm. Mine has proven to be very accurate - I'm runnning 235 and 270grain TSX's. Have you got a scope on yours? If so what have you chosen?

Cheers,
JWB300
 
Ruger guide gun (m77) with Hornady dgx and dgs 400 grains.

Gizmo,

From the get-go I will say that it appears to me, the Swift A-Frame is the very best premium soft point I have seen, in terms of consistency in performing as advertised.

They do not necessarily always regulate well in doubles though.

On the other hand, the DGX and DGS seem to have been designed with doubles in mind.

In my photos there is a picture of DGX bullets, two recovered from animals plus one in unfired condition.

There are some folks who say DGX bullets are not right but so far, my very limited / two animal experience seems to suggest such folks have been brain washed by glittering advertisements from companies like Barnes and are to be pitied, LOL.

I would however not use the DGX in any super velocity type cartridge (Weatherby and such).

When I shot the buffalo, fatally wounded, he dropped to the shot but got back up and ran.

So, I shot him again with a DGS from my other barrel.

Again, he dropped to the shot but this time stayed down.

This solid was not recovered unfortunately.

By my way of thinking, the DGX and DGS are the absolute perfect shape/profile bullet for hard hitting, yet not so "flat and square" as to make feeding in repeaters impossible.

I like the fact that the jackets are soft (malleable) steel, plated with gilding metal to go a bit easier on the rifling.

My prediction is that you will do well with them on your pending safari, I did.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.
 
I would stick to a 500gt soft on the 458, the 400grain rounds are as well constructed when using well constructed rounds, but not a DGX or super doper bonded bullet.
Go for the regular Hornady (interlock??) if I'm correct.

And you'll be ok, cats are about wound channel matched with Hydrostatic shock and if something goes the other way (meaning straight at you with great vengeance and furious anger ;) ) believe me then you'll be very pleased that you picked the heavier 500 gr round.

Go as soft as you can

My best always

Jaco Strauss has actually shot lions, (including charging ones evidently), and has seen other people shoot lions.
For that reason, if I ever was to book a lion hunt, I would likely book it with him and definitely I would heavily consult him on what bullets to use.
 
Hey Gizmo,

I've just picked up a Guide Gun in 375 Ruger. Not a bad firearm. Mine has proven to be very accurate - I'm runnning 235 and 270grain TSX's. Have you got a scope on yours? If so what have you chosen?

Cheers,
JWB300
Yes sir I have a Nikon monarc 5 1-4x. I really like it. I was going to swap it out with an eotech but I decided against it.
 
Nice one - a great combo
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,308
Messages
1,572,375
Members
169,548
Latest member
LucioPrend
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top