Solid or Partition Bullets for African Lion

Hey Gizmo,

I've just picked up a Guide Gun in 375 Ruger. Not a bad firearm. Mine has proven to be very accurate - I'm runnning 235 and 270grain TSX's. Have you got a scope on yours? If so what have you chosen?

Cheers,
JWB300

Ruger guide gun (m77) with Hornady dgx and dgs 400 grains.

Gizmo,

From the get-go I will say that it appears to me, the Swift A-Frame is the very best premium soft point I have seen, in terms of consistency in performing as advertised.

They do not necessarily always regulate well in doubles though.

On the other hand, the DGX and DGS seem to have been designed with doubles in mind.

In my photos there is a picture of DGX bullets, two recovered from animals plus one in unfired condition.

There are some folks who say DGX bullets are not right but so far, my very limited / two animal experience seems to suggest such folks have been brain washed by glittering advertisements from companies like Barnes and are to be pitied, LOL.

I would however not use the DGX in any super velocity type cartridge (Weatherby and such).

When I shot the buffalo, fatally wounded, he dropped to the shot but got back up and ran.

So, I shot him again with a DGS from my other barrel.

Again, he dropped to the shot but this time stayed down.

This solid was not recovered unfortunately.

By my way of thinking, the DGX and DGS are the absolute perfect shape/profile bullet for hard hitting, yet not so "flat and square" as to make feeding in repeaters impossible.

I like the fact that the jackets are soft (malleable) steel, plated with gilding metal to go a bit easier on the rifling.

My prediction is that you will do well with them on your pending safari, I did.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

I would stick to a 500gt soft on the 458, the 400grain rounds are as well constructed when using well constructed rounds, but not a DGX or super doper bonded bullet.
Go for the regular Hornady (interlock??) if I'm correct.

And you'll be ok, cats are about wound channel matched with Hydrostatic shock and if something goes the other way (meaning straight at you with great vengeance and furious anger ;) ) believe me then you'll be very pleased that you picked the heavier 500 gr round.

Go as soft as you can

My best always

Jaco Strauss has actually shot lions, (including charging ones evidently), and has seen other people shoot lions.
For that reason, if I ever was to book a lion hunt, I would likely book it with him and definitely I would heavily consult him on what bullets to use.

Hey Gizmo,

I've just picked up a Guide Gun in 375 Ruger. Not a bad firearm. Mine has proven to be very accurate - I'm runnning 235 and 270grain TSX's. Have you got a scope on yours? If so what have you chosen?

Cheers,
JWB300
Yes sir I have a Nikon monarc 5 1-4x. I really like it. I was going to swap it out with an eotech but I decided against it.

Nice one - a great combo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinayzi

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you