Well, as this is a survival/knife thread with lots of interesting and useful info above, here are hopefully some more...

MikeDeltaFoxtrot, if you are in an unlikely event in a 'survival' situation while hunting in Africa, it always pay in anyway to be prepared.
These pictured small and very light [type of ] items can make life then just so much easier.
They will all fit in one hand /pocket if need be.
They are multi-purpose/functional, and you will never even know that you carry them.
It may also ease your mind/confidence knowing you have them EDC on your person all the time.
Most of us have such odds and ends in our pockets when going out there--just for in case...
survival goodies.jpg

1] A small multi=purpose Swiss Army Knife/Leatherman [you will be surprised at how many times you might need small tweezers,scissors [nails/loose thread], awl, screwdriver, saw , pliers etc]
[You already have a quality and funktional bigger bushcrafter fixed blade on your belt for possible bigger tasks]
2] Cheap Big lighter. [fire/sealing ends of rope/emergency light etc]
3] Compass
4] Back-up fire starting tool [optional]
5] Small vaseline [sun/start a fire]
6] Inexpensive good knife sharpener

These are apart of the 'normal' personal goodies in your backpack , which might include eg an inexpensive skinning knife [Okapi folder-skinners do have the ability to sometimes be a little 'rough' on an expensive custom blade etc, water, binoculars, hat, GPS/Phone , sweets , paracord rope, space blanket, camera [spare batteries!] , medicine if needed [eg. headache, antiseptic salve,plasters, antihistamine-grass/bees] , sunblock [odourless] , spare glasses[if you use them], gloves, ID, small torch,etc,etc [You can add as the situation/venue require]

These assorted personal items are also small and lightweight and should not burden you if you have to carry it in a SMALL backpack .
[ The outfitter would have all the bigger/heavier goodies/tools you need in an emergency on the truck/in camp]

Good hunting and unforgettable campfires in Africa, Sir !

Last edited:
I hadnt seen this thread till this morning but after my initial thoughts on what a particular survival knife might be, it became more aparent as I thought it through that it would depend a great deal on the location where you might be needing to survive and whether there is a need to include survival against 2 or 4 footed predators.
I see the post @observe has above this one and for general outdoors for a few days at most, with a nowledge that food and civilisation was just over the hill etc, it would be an ideal small pocketfull.
If on the other hand you were in a situation that didn't include having a pack with all the requisite gear tucked away for just such an emergency, and with no idea where or when safety might be struggled toward then we are talking a completely different ball game.
For myself I always have the 3 inch bladed liner lock I made many years ago in my pocket in general day to day llife but if I am away from home and in the hills I have much more in the way of what might be needed for roughing it including a rifle. If I am suddenly dropped into the wilds and could only choose a single knife for any percievable needs I might choose my bushcraft hunter with a good hank of parracord and a simple bic lighter as the 3 basic tool I would most want to have. 3 3/4 in scandi ground blade that could have an emergency secondary bevel added with a river stone if sharpening became necessary and with nough nose to become a very effective skinner as well as a cutter of meat and other mediums. The .156 thick blade is more than sufficient if a bit of battoning bcame necessary, with a slightly longer and straighter handle that could facilitate being slightly recessed into a shaft and cord wrapped for security it a "boar spear" became a way to protect against or supply meat needs. Far fetched possibility but in my mind it would answer the what if questions.

Buffalo horn bushcraft hunter.jpg

I happen to like the Mora Eldris, but I use it as a secondary neck knife and not my primary blade. Its 90 degree spine is great for scraping fat wood, striking a ferro rod and striping bark. Its short blade is great for carving, making fire sticks and pealing tasks. Would I consider it a survival knife,no, but its a great companion knife.

My current 'survival' knife is this small, lightweight 3' fixed blade with ferro-rod for just in case , and it addressed most of my general cutting needs/work .,,,.

3.jpg

..off course it is always complimented with a pocket E.D.C. Swiss Army Knife/Leatherman [depending] back-up and replaced by n bigger SRK [etc] if the known situation/location requires/changes.....

[One is none and two is one and all that,hey ?]

[Aaah,it's just nice to sometimes play around with sharp and pointy tools, and good to know which one worked better/not for which 'survival' situation/job for me!]

There is though a huge difference between the looks/needs/applications of 'survival' knives [outdoor/bushcraft/hunting/camping] and 'tactical' knives [self defence/ war/fighting] , and their roles must not be confused, as each were purpose built for specific uses /scenarios, though in a pinch the one could be substituted for the other.....

I think on this forum we are more than likely maybe talking about our 'survival'/ hunting/ bushcrafting /general camping knives......? (y):sneaky::D

27848886_527587507604079_375938468_n.jpg

Last edited:
12472474_214088088954024_5093545309760541977_n.jpg

Fire is one of the main ingredients for 'survival' camp...

28233369_531506150545548_512830679_n.jpg

28235770_531506103878886_1113319943_n.jpg

18491987_410744315955066_598668831_n.jpg

.....though sometimes it goes like this....

14962548_320962864933212_1146479002901677210_n.jpg

12795357_194156850947148_7437327582323145435_n.jpg

Last edited:
Had a 25 MPH wind in Kansas City today so I headed to the back yard to work on my fire making skills. A small piece of fat wood, a Light my Fire Ferro rod and my Mora Eldris, starting a fire was no problem. Fatwood is an fire starter, I recommend carrying 1 or 2 sticks in your pack whenever you head to the field.

It's sometimes a good idea to keep your fire tool attached to your 'survival'/camping knife---paired here also see a mini LANSKY sharpener to quickly just touch up on the skinning knife...

Can you ever have enough cutting tools???

1.jpg

(y):););)

14731372_312484152447750_569108514395564258_n.jpg

Last edited:
Studio_20180301_194531.jpg

Only "surviving" I ever did was as a, young boy Scout walking to the scout Hall. a big German Shepherd cross came over a fence at me, actually had me on the ground when the small Bowie came into play; very angry dog owners, and fortunately a policeman got me out of that situation. Turned out that the dog had a "rep", known to the Police.

Here is my humble opinion on the definition of an average person's "survival" knife..

You know, from my experience, I couldn't agree with you more about the definition of a 'survival knife' as being the one you have on you at the time of the crisis...

View attachment 182331

In my opinion there are also a lot of hype and even BS bordering on mass hysteria surrounding the catchword 'survival' today.

Though I agree that you must be prepared and master as many of these skills as possible,--what are the odds that you must "survive”?

Once you willingly go off the beaten track, you have the opportunity and responsibility to plan for your specific environment and challenges and the necessary tools to take with you.

View attachment 182332

It's then not 'SURVIVAL" any more' but merely 'rough-' or 'substance' camping [Bush crafting sound more mucho lol] with a lot of appropriate and chosen tools.

· Your car broke down in a remote area?

For the sensible traveler there ought to be a lot of emergency goodies available.

· Airplane crash?

If you are still alive afterwards you will probably not even have the luxury of a pocket knife, what with the tight security at most airports these days.

· Small plane crash or boat trip without such tight security?

Again a sensible and prepared traveler will have packed some [pocket- and other?] goodies.

I do carry a multi-tool and a good pocket knife with a lighter EDC with me for more than 30 years now, and have NEVER used it for ‘survival’, but a lot for rough camping while hunting. [And I do a lot of 'primitive' and other hunting and camping, sometimes in some very remote areas.]

View attachment 182333

For remote rough camping I only rarely use my EDC blades, because then one or the other of my (bigger) sharp and pointy tools are with me on the planned trip to do the different jobs required. (My EDC blades would also be capable to do it in a pinch, but being prepared doesn’t mean to see how much you can suffer out there....)

I do own a lot of bigger hunting/ camping/ bush crafting /bush knives/skinning tools, and I love them all, but really , the times I'm allowed to have them on me I'm merely 'hunting/camping' and not "surviving".
Yes, they all could be used as 'survival' knives if need be, but then I would most probably not be in a situation where it's the only tool that I have with me.

View attachment 182334

I would 100% agree that a 'survival' knife is the one the average person [like 99% of the people reading this now ?] daily have on your person, and it would mostly probably fall in the category of a smaller pocket/multi-tool/neck knife for most of us with a day job where we mingle with a lot of other people.

Your secondary bigger belt/hunting /bush craft/ camp/skinning knife would be for 99.9% of the time be on you only in the category of a planned or beforehand known excursion/hunt and not an EDC, due to your job or local laws etc.

(The lucky few can carry it EDC though--like PH)

I love all of my sharp, pointed tools, but this multi-million dollar 'survival' industry is also playing mind games with a lot of inexperienced well-meaning people's minds [fears?] .This topic of "best survival knife" send the focus away from the more important discussions like maybe ‘which secondary knife is best for what job or circumstances’ -and even maybe when your secondary belt knife become your primary EDC??’

View attachment 182337

There is no magic or ideal knife for all terrains, tasks, jobs etc. , and I maintain that your skills are more important than your blade...and your blade is crucial to the average person out in the back woods!

To be honest, for most of the time while "rough camping" /hunting, I could get away with only a good pocket knife......

View attachment 182335

Yep, in my opinion when the chips are down in a real unexpected, crises 'survival' situation, your 'survival' knife would be your EDC on your person and not your bigger fixed blade that would probably be the better tool for the situation, but it is at home due to your working circumstances or local laws etc....

Again, the media hype of the 'best survival knife' is most of the time a sales gimmick and very misleading, especially to the not so experienced, as I think it refer mostly to rough camping...!

View attachment 182336

Learn to use and 'survive' with your primary EDC first!!

A survival knife is one that is suited to the environment in which you hunt. I always carry a fixed blade as well as a folding knife for various situations.
I have a set of butchers knives for butchering, a number of skinning knives, general utility ones depending on the hunt.
I dont carry a knife that would cut timber for s fire but have a the base camp a small ax.
In addition to these knives I have a very good sharpening stone and I can put a razor sharp edge on a knife blade very quickly.
To answer your question, it depends very much on your personal situation but I suggest as a minimum a folding knife as well as a fixed blade.

I just love these two small and cute practical little pocket cutting tools from Joseph Rodgers and Buck.
I must confess, currently I am leaning more towards the J.R.
I once went on a 4 day 3 night 'survival' hunting camp with it.
This small J.R. has served outstandingly in all my needs,- from food preparation and tent pen carving to skinning the bow hunted Impala afterwards.
Now this little rascal wants to ween me from my beloved bigger bladed knives sometimes used in similar situations!
Currently, I'm still standing strong....!
59352798_366718927522019_6912154962696863744_n.jpg

I will have a new edc made to this pattern later in the year when my name come to the top of Brandants order book. It will not have the lanyard hole and will be radiused on this part of the handle so there are no sharp bits to wear on the pocket lining. Will stay with the copper bolster and may go with giraffe bone for the scales.
Jaguar folder.jpg

277594459_502337821360385_5987628999629534921_n.png

African survival.jpg

18741556_415366998826131_1608759401_n.jpg

34456748_578497915846371_3428444918043901952_n.jpg

214501298_4356531604440667_4373945747780988097_n.png

277575752_747288953098076_5184142093461618874_n.jpg

Everything you have on your person is for survival. Everything you have packed is for camping ...png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg