Snakes!

However, the most lethal looking serpent that I have ever seen was, without a doubt, a Gaboon viper in Mozambique.

I am terrified of snakes.
Everytime when someone mentions gaboon viper, I remember the story from Capsticks book, the last ivory hunter, the saga of wally johnson - and how he survived the bite from gaboon viper.

Ever since i read the book, I am always thinking gaboon viper is the most deadly snake in Africa. (although in venomous snakes department in Africa, competition is high)

Anyway, few days ago I took following picture, of gaboon viper with intention to post it on this forum.
Now is a good chance.
The photo is from zoo. I was surprised about the number of venomous and other snakes they had in local zoo, and they had gaboon viper as well.

viper.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
And now the good news, New Zealand doesn't have any snakes and the spiders are confined to the whitetail, redback, katipo (native) and black widow (I think). When I get back there I find a paddock with long grass and run through it. The most dangerous animal in NZ is a recently arrived Chinese tourist in a rental car. Several have had their keys taken off them by angry kiwis. Having driven a cultivator on a collective does not qualify for highway driving.

When I was younger we hunted the everglades in the morning we stepped around the moccasins after lunch we hunted them.best I got was a 4'.10".my dad killed a 6 and half ft rattler.normally they would catch them for Carl hoss but was afraid it was going to strike our beagle. My oldest daughter when she was about ten shows me her brown recluse collection.in mason jars yuk.recently she cought a nice coral snake.wich she turned in to a venom collector.

Remember when I was young there was a photo at a barbeque joint in south Miami that had a a dead rattler stretched all the way across tamiami trail when it was a dirt jeep trail .had to be over 7ft.

I asked my dad it was bill haas.not sure we're the Carl came from.he was also friends with Frank weed who had animal show on tv on Saturdays.we would ride out to his so called (zoo) sometimes

Wow, just read the whole thread. I probably couldn't live in Australia where snakes are protected. I don't like snakes.

Wow, just read the whole thread. I probably couldn't live in Australia where snakes are protected. I don't like snakes.
Somehow I'm thinking that if a king brown shows up around a house out on a cattle station, he will.most likely die soon after of " natural causes."

:eek:
277891852_373825591306401_7753205828367437190_n.jpg

Western Cape
Puffadders on the beach!
277728920_4778018895580727_6131153466165599830_n.jpg

I don’t know how to Post it onto here but on YouTube, Andy Buchanan of “This is Africaha” posted a short video called “snake attacks child”-it is very interesting if you have a couple minutes

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::P Cowboy::P Cowboy:
277988257_3060916890839568_8828479990411678655_n.jpg

Snakes aren't that bad. Some you have to respect more than others. Living in south Louisiana I worry more about snakes here than I do when in Africa. I will relate one instance where I'm glad 'ol Jake the snake made his presence known. In Vietnam we were in a Slick (Huey) waiting to take off for an insertion. Heard a lot of yelling from the flight deck. Looked up front to see a "BIG" cobra raised up between the pilot and copilot. Needless to say everyone unassed the Slick. After a 10 or 15 mimute wait we saw the snake exit the Slick and slither off into the grass. Thank God that didn't happen while flying at 1500 feet over the jungle enroute to our insertion point!!

Haven't liked them since I saw one of my Uncle's nice Herford cows bitten in the face by one. That was over 60yrs ago!

I've seen a couple of scenes like that in my lifetime. One location was at a old cast iron pipe factory where they had tore up all the foundations and just left the concrete pilled up. Those garter snakes loved it, there must of been thousands in just one area.

Another time was when I was walking along a river, kind of the same type of situation. Concrete pilled up on the side of the river with thousands of garter snakes living in it.

Then one time when I was working. I opened up a cabinet on the side of a home to access a utility panel. While there wasn't thousands this time there were a few hundred garter snakes withering around.

I also found a rattlesnake den down in Arizona during February

6nDXGGj.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Puffadder--beware!!

279034593_10162121834259657_7199728717972652929_n.jpg

279322970_3160251350968390_4971340813400125746_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg