Snakebites - Who Gets Bitten & Who Dies?

crs

AH elite
Reaction score
Website
sheltontechnologies.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
CRS, NRA Patron Member, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Hunted
RSA
My theory: Kill first, identify later.... +1

Happy Myles

Gold supporter
AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunted
Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Chad, Benin, Ethiopia, Ruwanda, Burugi, Mo, Cameroon, C.A.R.mozambique, Namibia\, So Africa, Congo, , Botswana,, All No America, All Central ASia, Mongolia
Twenty years or so ago, I took my son and his new bride along on a Tanzania safari. She had never been anywhere adventurous in her sheltered life. One day she insisted on accompanying me on a a buffalo hunt. As luck would have it we came upon the buffalo of a lifetime. Wind right, cover right, what could go wrong. Finally, after taking many, many buffalo I had a chance at huge mbogo. Just then at my feet I spotted a phlegmatic puff adder I pointed it to my PH, we both stepped around it and continued our focus on the bull. My daughter in law noticed the snake, let out a bloodcurdling scream , crashed into both of us and ran. The huge bull ran too, end of my dream. When we got back to the lorry she was pitched on top. i said, “ lets get one thing straight, you have got to stop knocking down the man with the rifle”.
No more stalks for her

Rule 303

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Australia, New Zealand, Zimbabwe & Namibia
I was advised by my PH in Namibia they have a very effective method of dealing with Mamba and Cobra bites. They give you a pen and paper so you can write your will.:giggle:

Most if not all Aussie venomous snakes have grooved fangs while the Rattle snake and similar have hypodermic fangs so inject more of their toxin than those from Aust.
However Aussie snake can dry bite, that is not release venom. Even when bitten by our most venomous snakes if you do the right thing your chances of survival are good. Don't stress-yeah like that is going to happen- try and keep the heart rate down. Reduce or if possible cease all movement apply pressure bandages working from bite site to cover the whole limb. You have several hours if this is done. Hopefully you are not by yourself and have phone reception or an EPIRB.

The venom normaly travels in the lymphatic system. However if the bite is into a blood vessel see the Namibian approach.:giggle:

Zambezi

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Zambia
I have only been to South Africa twice. I have only seen one snake a PuffAdder.
We had been walking and stalking awhile and stopped for a break. I went to relive myself of some fluids and as I was standing there a PuffAdder decided my right foot was in its path and started across my foot!!
That will make your heart stop ! He just slid on across and kept on going luckily !
Bet that was the longest pee of your life! :LOL:

Sarg

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
New Zealand - Australia - Sumatra - Kenya - Zimbabwe - Namibia - South Africa - Botswana - Alaska - Nevada - Hokkaido - Greenland - New Caledonia
I have a bit of a collection of Snake photos now, never used to take many photos but do now days .

After 25yrs guiding & 35yrs working in the Aussie outback have seen hundreds of Snakes, a lot deadly, mostly leave them alone unless they are in camp, Taipans are bad news & Death Adders are a bugger for just laying they & let you steep on them .

In SA the guys & girls around the lodge like them gone & we don't want them around the house eating the chooks or biting the Kids, Dogs, so we tap them .

You will see by my white legs plenty are around in June & July, we see a lot that we don't tell the hunters about as it keeps things smoother .

The Black Mamba here was right by the Lodge gate & seen by the Girls going to work, took a couple of days to get him, funny story the head PH was picking up a hunter when I whacked this Mamba & this hunter was petrified of snakes, the PH told him it's cool no snakes this time of year (June-July) I had just moved the body from the gate as he drove in with this guy, any way next morning early we on the back of the hunting bakkie heading out & another snake zips across the road in front of us, we didn't point it out & he thinks no snakes about but in fact two had been near him in two days !

Black Mamba & Me .JPG
Black Mamba Head .JPG

Puff Adder in the yard .

Puff Adda & Me.JPG

Snouted cobra or Egyptian cobra in three sizes from small to bloody huge !

Mid Size Cobra.jpg
Mid Size Cobra head.jpg

Big Cobra & Me .JPG

Big Cobra & Me head .JPG

Was a close call with this snake & he looked awesome only a few feet away with his Hood flared out !
Big Cobra & Hi Power.JPG

And the Monster !

The Big one Cobra.JPG

Last edited:

PaulT

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
S.C.I. International. Rowland Ward. Sporting shooters Association of Australia. Australian Deer Association.
Hunted
Aus. N.Z & Zim.
Sarg, that last Joe-blake is one F.O sized M.F.

I too have had more than my fair share of exposure to snakes but never anything THAT big.
That thing gives me the heebey jeebies, big time.

Thanks for posting.

Rule 303

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Australia, New Zealand, Zimbabwe & Namibia
Hey Sarg, you recon your a Kiwi. I call bulldust. Every Kiwi I know runs a mile when they see a snake:LOL::LOL:

That last one would be the biggest venomous snake I have ever seen including in photos. I have almost been nailed by Brown snakes on 3 occasions and the adrenaline had me moving. If it was one that big I recon I would literally jump out of my skin.

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
I have a bit of a collection of Snake photos now, never used to take many photos but do now days .

After 25yrs guiding & 35yrs working in the Aussie outback have seen hundreds of Snakes, a lot deadly, mostly leave them alone unless they are in camp, Taipans are bad news & Death Adders are a bugger for just laying they & let you steep on them .

In SA the guys & girls around the lodge like them gone & we don't want them around the house eating the chooks or biting the Kids, Dogs, so we tap them .

You will see by my white legs plenty are around in June & July, we see a lot that we don't tell the hunters about as it keeps things smoother .

The Black Mamba here was right by the Lodge gate & seen by the Girls going to work, took a couple of days to get him, funny story the head PH was picking up a hunter when I whacked this Mamba & this hunter was petrified of snakes, the PH told him it's cool no snakes this time of year (June-July) I had just moved the body from the gate as he drove in with this guy, any way next morning early we on the back of the hunting bakkie heading out & another snake zips across the road in front of us, we didn't point it out & he thinks no snakes about but in fact two had been near him in two days !

View attachment 387044View attachment 387045

Puff Adder in the yard .

View attachment 387065

Snouted cobra or Egyptian cobra in three sizes from small to bloody huge !

View attachment 387048View attachment 387049
View attachment 387050
View attachment 387051
Was a close call with this snake & he looked awesome only a few feet away with his Hood flared out !
View attachment 387062
And the Monster !

View attachment 387063
I have only heard of Indian King Cobras that might reach that size. That is a monster. :eek:

Just poked around on line, and the largest Egyptian ever recorded was 2.59 meters. This gal is in that class. Jeez.

Last edited:

Nevada Mike

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Where I live we have 13 species of venomous snakes - mostly various rattlesnakes. Some are hemotoxic, some neurotoxic, many have both types of toxins.

I have never been bitten, nor do I plan to be. I worry more about my bird dogs and they get vaccinated with Red Rock rattlesnake vaccine and I carry epinephrine injections for immediate relief. I wear snake gaiters when working on the property or walking in snake season. My dogs have been snake broke - and that's about all that can be done short of keeping a good veterinarian close by.

I don't much like snakes. but will only kill them if they are threatening my dogs or are close to the house.

Nkawu

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
KZN Hunting Shooting & Conservation
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Sweden
I've seen quite a number of snakes living and working in Southern Africa. I was on the toilet in coastal Mozambique (XaiXai) and had a snake in the toilet bowl coiled under the rim with just a bit of green tail sticking out- not the snake I was hoping to see! I was opening a farm gate in Limpopo and had an Mfezi (Mozambique spitting cobra) stand up between me and the open bakkie door, stupidly I had left my pistol on the dash. I was once doing some geological mapping near the Namibian border in South Africa's northern cape and climbed a hill to find an enormous black spitting cobra sunning itself in the morning chill. When I turned around the two Xhosa ladies I was working with had made about 500m and were still going strong.
Over the years I've learnt to trust my instinct when I get the feeling that an area of grass or a hill looks 'snakey' and will enter cautiously or walk around. When I'm out in the bush in remote parts of Zambia or SA snakes don't really bother me as much as say coming across a rabid dog or running out of water.
I will say that dogs and cats in SA on farms seem to take a hammering. Small dogs and cats eaten by pythons and big mambas, big dogs killed and blinded by cobras and mambas. A pellet gun in the house is good medicine for a snake under the fridge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sabattiboy

Latest profile posts

I did a little housekeeping in my shop and found some .500 Jeffery ammo that I no longer need. Superior Ammunition and Hendershots loaded them, along with AHR (American Hunting Rifles). Several Woodleigh/A-Square solids along with lead bullets in both 535g and 600g. Message me for any details.

IMG_8092.jpg
IMG_8091.jpg
IMG_8090.jpg
IMG_8094.jpg
pam308 wrote on TOBY458's profile.
Just saw your listing for a winchester 70 458. Is it still for sale? I want it!!! pam308
flatwater bill wrote on john stroud's profile.
Leopard Legend....................Hi John.............I see that you have not visited AH in awhile. Hope all is well. I am looking for a hunt in Namibia..............would like to ask a few questions about your hunt.............all the best..............................Bill
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG