Slugs for Bear

I always read all SLUG Threads with great interest.
But what amazes me, is that in gun-liberal America there are huge hunting areas and even states where hunting with rifles is not allowed.Only shotguns with slugs and buckshot.
I can only speculate about the reasons.
But would you have an official explanation for a German hunter where this is totally unusual?
Greetings and thanks
Foxi

Typically urban areas with high population density. The concern is over the potential for rifle bullets to carry on into these areas and injure someone. Interestingly, many of these restricted areas allow muzzleloaders. With the advance of modern muzzleloaders, any logic to their restrictions on center fire rifles is completely lost.

But what amazes me, is that in gun-liberal America there are huge hunting areas and even states where hunting with rifles is not allowed.Only shotguns with slugs and buckshot.
But would you have an official explanation for a German hunter where this is totally unusual?
Greetings and thanks
Foxi

There is an ironclad constitutional right to own firearms in America. There is no such constitutional right to hunt. The liberals cannot defeat our 2nd amendment directly but they can make hunting expensive, difficult, and they can make ammunition expensive.

All back-door attacks on their true target, gun confiscation.

If you don’t like that answer, another answer is that slugs don’t travel as far and simple minded politicians in urban centers that have never visited 99% of their State assume you’ll kill dozens of people if your bullet travels 100 meters past your deer. Truly, that’s the naive official explanation for slug-only laws. Illinois for example, has 101 counties and 4 of them are urban/suburban (Chicago) whereas the remainder are rural agriculture.

To further undermine their excuses, most states that only allow slugs for hunting game also allow killing coyotes any day of the year with any weapon from .22lr through .50BMG. Go figure.

There is an ironclad constitutional right to own firearms in America. There is no such constitutional right to hunt. The liberals cannot defeat our 2nd amendment directly but they can make hunting expensive, difficult, and they can make ammunition expensive.

All back-door attacks on their true target, gun confiscation.

If you don’t like that answer, another answer is that slugs don’t travel as far and simple minded politicians in urban centers that have never visited 99% of their State assume you’ll kill dozens of people if your bullet travels 100 meters past your deer. Truly, that’s the naive official explanation for slug-only laws. Illinois for example, has 101 counties and 4 of them are urban/suburban (Chicago) whereas the remainder are rural agriculture.

To further undermine their excuses, most states that only allow slugs for hunting game also allow killing coyotes any day of the year with any weapon from .22lr through .50BMG. Go figure.
Wow. I always thought we had the maximum of illogic.

Wow. I always thought we had the maximum of illogic.

The other matter you have to understand is that training for a hunting license in Germany is on a whole other level.
Hunter Training in the US is targeted to teaching children at an introductory level.
No insurance required, etc.

I think legislators use that concept as a justification to manage for the lowest common denominator.

Greetings and thanks
Foxi
I grew up in an area where shotgun slugs were required, but now allows rifles. I also have a German Jagdschein, so I feel somewhat qualified to answer.

German hunters typically, but not always hunt from a Hochsitz, and the downward angle of the shot guarantees a Kugelfang. Stalking is not as typical. Additionally, the limited number of licenses for a Revier limits the number of hunters in the field.

In the US, stalking is more common, and the Hochsitz less so. Very few concern themselves with Kugelfangen. The areas where this is common tend to have very flat and somewhat open terrain. Also, the seasons are shorter, and there is a higher hunter density in given areas. A slug will do very well at close in distances, which means the hunters must be close to shoot, and there is little chance there will be an "unseen" hunter on the ground within the likely ranges.

As has been mentioned, hunter training does play a role. Also not usually considered is how few deer were around (due to previous over-hunting) when many of the laws were passed. Forcing a hunter to get closer created fewer opportunities for a shot.

It's merely a different approach to the same problem set. You can limit "out of control" shots with training and limiting the number of hunters in the area, or you can limit the maximum effective range of the weapon. Personally, I'd rather use a rifle, even though unless I'm in a seat, I still try to stalk to within what would be considered "shotgun range".

The us Forest service use shotguns with slugs for years on Bear protection. The problem with universal slugs that are intended for use in any choke is the have to be soft so they can get through a tight choke without damaging the barrel but as a results they will flatten causing poor penetration but properly placed it carries a big whack. The rifled slug barrels utilize sabot slugs which fro the most part are held inside of a sabot. These can utilize much hard projectiles resulting in deeper penetration, you choice

shotgun vs bear.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is an older thread, but the inherent value is timeless. I think the 10 GA /3.5 in slugs might be the
best bet for shotguns.
In the meantime, will still rely on a fast-handling pre-war Winchester Model 71; chambered in 450 Alaskan with 400-500 gr FP bullets. Lever -action rifles are fast, and final.

I have an old 1950 year model FN Browning A-5 12 gauge, it has three barrels, one barrel is a smooth bore with rifle sights and is 24" long, i have found no better slug for smooth bores than the Brenekee KO slugs, they are soft shooting and very accurate out to 100 yards.

For rifled slugs i have an 870 Remington 20 gauge with fully rifled barrel, i buy the 20 gauge dangerous game slugs from ballisticproducts.com, also purchased some 2-3/4" primed Fiocchi hulls, with a max dose of 800X powder and a nice fold crimp they shoot into 3 inches [variable winds 5-10mph] at 100 yards at 1550 fps, the little shotgun wears a near bullet proof old steel tube 3X Weaver, it's wrapped in flat black paper tape to cut down on glare, have never shot a bear with it, but would use that mini 577 Nitro on any game animal in U.S./Alaska or Canada this side of 100 yards, a truly hard hitting 6 round combo that wrecks the hell out of homemade test media, to include hard packed glossy Wife magazines with random cattle bones all packed snug in waxed cardboard moving boxes, a very tough, low recoiling customer it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg