Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Liberia, Mozambique, Argentina
The time has come, the walrus said . . . er, or maybe it was my wife. Fed up with too much stuff lying around "without a useful purpose" apparently.

Anyway, I have a lot of skins and some horns that I need to get rid of, so I'm seeing if anyone has any interest before I take more drastic action. All are fully tanned.

Everything on the following list is free to whoever wants it:

1 blue wildebeest back skin hair on
1 gemsbok back skin hair on
1 nyala full skin hair on
1 bush pig full skin hair on (never been unfolded so is pretty pleated at the moment)
1 black wildebeest back skin hair on
2 sets (four horns total) gemsbok horns (not record)
2 sets (four horns total) kudu horns, 2 of which are polished (not record)
1 kudu skin tanned brown no hair shines one side suede other side
1 blue wildebeest full skin on felt
1 bushbuck Euro mount (small)
1 springbok Euro mount small
1 Honeybadger full skin on felt with open mouth
1 lioness full skin on felt mouth open (the taxidermy on this one is a disaster)
1 very large full skin no head very dark but I can't figure out what it is! Looks like sable but

Only rule is I won't ship anything, so if you don't live in Calgary, you will have to make arrangements if you are interested. And since getting anything into the US is impossible, I won't try (again - once was enough).

If anyone is interested, pm me. Happy to meet at some convenient location in Calgary (I live close to downtown).

Sure you'll have some Canadian takers!
Boy I really want a Blue WB full rug and a nyala also, if not for that shipping caveat!

Very cool offer to fellow AH' ers, well the Canadian ones anyways

Last edited:
Wow cool offer all, but that Honey Badger & Bush Pig would be great !

Id move my Girl Friend/Wife off before my animals !

Great offer for fellow AH members, too bad Calgary is just not right next door for me...

Wow thanks for the generosity! I’d definitely take the nyala and some others but I am not in Canada.

The time has come, the walrus said . . . er, or maybe it was my wife. Fed up with too much stuff lying around "without a useful purpose" apparently.

Anyway, I have a lot of skins and some horns that I need to get rid of, so I'm seeing if anyone has any interest before I take more drastic action. All are fully tanned.

1 bush pig full skin hair on (never been unfolded so is pretty pleated at the moment)
1 lioness full skin on felt mouth open (the taxidermy on this one is a disaster)
1 very large full skin no head very dark but I can't figure out what it is! Looks like sable but

Only rule is I won't ship anything, so if you don't live in Calgary, you will have to make arrangements if you are interested. And since getting anything into the US is impossible, I won't try (again - once was enough).

If anyone is interested, pm me. Happy to meet at some convenient location in Calgary (I live close to downtown).

Hey Hank, this is a very generous gift you're offering. Might I suggest almost too good of a gift to give just anyone?

There is someone on this forum that surely has a record-book animal in their possession that they love but it is unmountable due to a bad cape with a slipped skin. Might I suggest you put conditions on your gift? Can't take it if you do not agree to have it sent to a taxidermist and used within 30 days? Find a penny leave a penny? Something?

What's the hangup with legally getting them across the border? If they are properly tanned/processed, could they not be shipped through an importer, then through USFW, Ag Dept and customs?

What's the hangup with legally getting them across the border? If they are properly tanned/processed, could they not be shipped through an importer, then through USFW, Ag Dept and customs?

I thought that most exotic wildlife skins are banned from US import? Exception: SPORT HUNTED skins, not for resale, imported by the HUNTER?

That cuts the recipient pool down drastically and the PIA.

@Hogpatrol
I can well understand the PIA about shipping anything and certainly through a border. The cost in time alone, never mind the money, would not be worth it.

Sure you'll have some Canadian takers!
Boy I really want a Blue WB full rug and a nyala also, if not for that shipping caveat!

Very cool offer to fellow AH' ers, well the Canadian ones anyways
I tried to ship a zebra hide to friend once. FedEx. US Customs wanted to see permits for the hunt, and a whole bunch of paperwork. I was threatened with a Lacey Act violation (can they do that to a Canuck?) and we ended up having to destroy the skin. They would let me have it back, and wouldn't let it go on, even though I had the import paperwork from Canada and some South African paperwork.

Never again!

Id move my Girl Friend/Wife off before my animals !

I'm not touching that one!

I've got to talk to my wife...a road trip to Calgary would be nice!

It's minus 25 degrees here today. We must have a different definition of nice!

Hey Hank, this is a very generous gift you're offering. Might I suggest almost too good of a gift to give just anyone?

There is someone on this forum that surely has a record-book animal in their possession that they love but it is unmountable due to a bad cape with a slipped skin. Might I suggest you put conditions on your gift? Can't take it if you do not agree to have it sent to a taxidermist and used within 30 days? Find a penny leave a penny? Something?
I get what you're saying Rookhawk, but I seem to have procrastinated to the point where Family Management has taken control. I can't complain - I get to hunt . . . and this is a small fraction of the bits and pieces around.

I thought that most exotic wildlife skins are banned from US import? Exception: SPORT HUNTED skins, not for resale, imported by the HUNTER?
I don't know if that's actually the case, but they US Customs treated it as the case. As noted above, it's not something I'm going to try again, and I'm not sure what would happen if someone drove up here (and their vehicle didn't freeze) and tried to go back with the skins.

@Hank2211 I suspect this kind of spousal negotiation allows support of continued hunting, so good plan.
There are quite a few fantastic gun cases that can be made with this lot! As well as some nice rugs, small bench coverings, etc. I hope some creative folks come along and make use of these!

Well you had me right up until Calgary

I mean you could deck out a bar pretty great with all this stuff eh

Thanks for offering this to folks.
Like all of us have experienced, this is an example of how we all keep too much stuff. We should focus on hunting more and less on keeping stuff we don’t really want.
Anyone want a gemsbuck flat skin?

hmm might have to talk to a friend in Red Deer or Lloyd, and then another friend at a shipping facility in Red Deer, see if they can ship to Ontario
hmmm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg