Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA, DSC, SCI, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Namibia-Khomas Highlands, Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
IMG_7163.jpeg

That look really nice. I love old weathered barn wood like that.

What did you use to affix the tusks to the wood?

What did you use to affix the tusks to the wood?
A highly guarded industry secret. Hot glue :eek:
I do that so if he ever wants to mount the warthog, cast an extra set of tusks, get scrimshaw done in them, etc…. They can be removed and there is no damage to them.

A highly guarded industry secret. Hot glue :eek:
I do that so if he ever wants to mount the warthog, cast an extra set of tusks, get scrimshaw done in them, etc…. They can be removed and there is no damage to them.

Thank you. I have some loose tusks from a hunt my grandfather did in Tanzania in 1968 and want to do something with them like that. Cheers

Thank you. I have some loose tusks from a hunt my grandfather did in Tanzania in 1968 and want to do something with them like that. Cheers
Anytime buddy. Taxidermy has very few secrets and most things are a common simple fix. Believe it or not YouTube is a great reference and I look for better or more efficient ways to do stuff all the time.
I am always glad to answer questions on anything anytime. You’ll find a heck of a lot of things can be done at home with simple common tools and really aren’t difficult. I’m always glad to answer a question or help someone do something.

Also if the tusks are older you may see that the bottoms are hollow unlike the ivory tops. It’s very common for these to crack and or completely split (NA feral pigs and Eurasian boar are the same way on both tops and bottoms). If this happens don’t worry you can superglue them back together. I recommend filling them in with either epoxy ( 2 part 30 min epoxy from Walmart works fine) or bondo. This will permanently hold them together.
It’s a quick fix and good preventative maintenance. If you have one that has already split and warped after it sat apart making it not want to line back up, holler and I’ll tell you how to fix it.
Hope that wasn’t an overboard explanation but they are 56 years old and I’ve seen it happen quite a bit.

Unfortunately, they are going to pop off that hot glue whether he wants them to OR not.

Thanks Gizmo. The pic below has the items I was thinking of putting in a shadow box or something like you did. I have some pics to go along with it, probably the one of him with the elephant he shot, and a possibly the lion one too.

Fun bit also is I have a bunch of the papework from this safari and its fun to see the trophy fees and taxidermy fees, etc... Guess it all makes sense with inflation and all being relative, etc but wow. What costs thousands or tens of thousands now cost in the hundreds or less.

I get the filling the tusks in with bondo but would you just leave the open ends of the tusks as is, or is there a way to "cap" them off somehow? I have seen capped for use as bottle openers etc... but for this I guess I will leave them as is. Any comments welcome. Thanks

IMG_7553.jpeg

Thanks Gizmo. The pic below has the items I was thinking of putting in a shadow box or something like you did. I have some pics to go along with it, probably the one of him with the elephant he shot, and a possibly the lion one too.

Fun bit also is I have a bunch of the papework from this safari and its fun to see the trophy fees and taxidermy fees, etc... Guess it all makes sense with inflation and all being relative, etc but wow. What costs thousands or tens of thousands now cost in the hundreds or less.

I get the filling the tusks in with bondo but would you just leave the open ends of the tusks as is, or is there a way to "cap" them off somehow? I have seen capped for use as bottle openers etc... but for this I guess I will leave them as is. Any comments welcome. Thanks

View attachment 593581
The nice thing in taxidermy is you are only limited by your imagination. I usually just paint the filler so it blends in and isn’t noticeable but…. I’ve called them in leather, you could have a silver smith cap them, there is all kinds of things you can do. Just keep in mind with anything permanent, it is exactly that. I’m not saying that to scare you away but it is a consideration. Things like filling the bottoms are permanent but have to be done to prevent splitting. It also has no effect on anything one would want to do with them though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyan65373

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.