Silencer/Moderator Use

I had my 7/08 suppressed a few years ago when my daughters started hunting. I chopped the barrel at 18" and shoot 110gr TTSX or 125gr NBT. The noise and recoil reduction make a big difference for the kids.
I have a 308 I'm about to suppress because I will use it with my indicating dog that I am training up. I will probably be shooting right over her head so want to protect her hearing as much as I can. I will probably use subsonic ammo as well.
If you can chop 4-6" off the barrel when you suppress. It fixes the balance issues. Projectiles like the TTSX fix any issues with velocity loss. Shoot a lighter projectile than normal. In my 7/08 I can get the 110gr TTSX to 3000fps using H335. Has killed a few red deer out to 150yds so far. Also taken a red deer at 220yda with the 125gr NBT.

I do not use a suppressor mainly because I do not want to be on an ATF list. My son however seems to think that ATF recognition is a small price to pay to up your tacticool factor so I might be getting one soon (or applying soon)

I do not use a suppressor mainly because I do not want to be on an ATF list. My son however seems to think that ATF recognition is a small price to pay to up your tacticool factor so I might be getting one soon (or applying soon)
Depends on how much you shoot and what you are doing i have one on my rifle i use for culling but not on other guns i do not shoot as much.

Common here in the UK. Help you shoot better with reduced muzzle flip and less retort: What's not to like...?

I have 3 Form 1's. Homemade.

I am too old to be worried about lists.

Why would you run a car or lawnmower or generator with out sound suppression?

Balance sucks on mine because they are made out of steel.

DB375

Australia are tough on them. i believe that New Zealand is considerably easier.
They should be somewhat available but it is pretty strict mainly restricting them to Government agency or maybe professional pest controllers who would require commissioners permit. Not impossible but just meet the requirements of the regs.

I use one for hunting on my .308 (it also fits on my ARs and .22-250) I only see advantages. I had no issues re-zeroing (less than an inch difference in elevation, 1.5 inches or so windage) The noise reduction is great, esp. as you age. The .30 cal can I use is long and heavy so you have to plan accordingly to carry it in the field. It has a quick attach/detach system so i carry it in the belt case and pop it on when I need it. The weight reduces the already mild recoil of the .308 and basically eliminates any recoil on ARs.

I wish they were deregulated already, everyone should use one. I saw a comment once, something like "If you don't use a muffler on your car you get a ticket, use one on your firearm you get arrested"

They should be looked at as a safety and noise pollution reduction device (like car mufflers) but unfortunately our legislators only see the Hollywood version of silencers.............

Finland: suppressors are in wide spread use for hunting and target shooting.
Every "legal" firearm is registered anyway. If you have a permit for a firearm, it also counts as a permit for a suppressor. Suppressors are in a funny position in that the law considers them as a gun part that requires a permit. If you don't have a firearm, you could still apply for a permit to buy and keep one ....

Disadvantage:
- It adds weight and length. Many go for a relatively short barrel and a compact suppressor to minimize this. Not necessarily going for the quietest possible suppressor. Typical hunting distances are short, so a small reduction in velocity, due to shorter barrel, is insignificant.

Advantages:
- Less noise, obviously. People living near shooting ranges complain less. Less hearing damage to the hunter. Less hearing damage to hunting dogs. A lot of hunting is done with a dog either driving, or finding and stopping, the game animal.
- Less recoil. It might help some, in some situations.
- Sometimes better acccuracy. Either by way of less recoil, or because the blast at the muzzle has less chance of disturbing the bullet when it it exits the barrel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg