Silencer/Moderator Use

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by Fastrig, Jun 27, 2019.

1. stug

stug AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    NZ
    I had my 7/08 suppressed a few years ago when my daughters started hunting. I chopped the barrel at 18" and shoot 110gr TTSX or 125gr NBT. The noise and recoil reduction make a big difference for the kids.
    I have a 308 I'm about to suppress because I will use it with my indicating dog that I am training up. I will probably be shooting right over her head so want to protect her hearing as much as I can. I will probably use subsonic ammo as well.
    If you can chop 4-6" off the barrel when you suppress. It fixes the balance issues. Projectiles like the TTSX fix any issues with velocity loss. Shoot a lighter projectile than normal. In my 7/08 I can get the 110gr TTSX to 3000fps using H335. Has killed a few red deer out to 150yds so far. Also taken a red deer at 220yda with the 125gr NBT.

2. John Camp

John Camp AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Georgia, California, Missouri, Tennessee, Iowa, Idaho
    I do not use a suppressor mainly because I do not want to be on an ATF list. My son however seems to think that ATF recognition is a small price to pay to up your tacticool factor so I might be getting one soon (or applying soon)

3. thriller

thriller AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NWTF, NRA, DU and QDMA
    Hunted:
    Countries: Argentina, United States and Zimbabwe States: AL, LA, FL, MS, Tenn., SD, ND, IA, NE, KN,SC, GA, TX and NC
    Depends on how much you shoot and what you are doing i have one on my rifle i use for culling but not on other guns i do not shoot as much.

4. Jfet

Jfet AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Outdoor Tomorrow Foundation,NRA, Life Member DSC
    Hunted:
    Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Namibia, South Africa, and Now Spain
    ufg8r93 likes this.