Sighting in disaster

Shawn.54

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA
I mounted my scope and went to sight in took the first shots and was doing well until scope started not responding to my adjustments.
The rifle a Mossberg Patriot in 375 Ruger scope Vortex 2-7x32 the rings a pair that were in the gun cabinet.

This is a low budget affair wanted to step into a 375 without breaking the bank.
The rifle showed it could group had a couple sub moa 3 shot groups then things went south. After about 12-15 shots it just opened up until it looked like a shotgun pattern.
So thinking that something come loose I retightende screws some seemed a little loose so I figured that's it.
Shot two more and they were touching each other. Now I was happy then it went south again on 3rd shot. And it started raining so I went home. Both happy and sad happy I new rifle had potential sad that I had to lock tite the screws.

Yeah it sounds like Locktite might be the solution. Also reach out to Vortex and see what ft/lbs of pressure you are suppose to tighten the scope on with. My dad had an issue with his scope and part of the problem was he over tighten it.

I would be fairly happy if you are able to get the shots touching each other, shows what the rifle is capable of. Just got to get the last few details and you should be good to go!!

This is what I found the rings I had in cabinet were of poor quality and even tightened as tighten them they allowed scope to move to the point that it distorted rear base and rings.
image.jpeg

Ordered a set of Talley 1 piece ring/base. Would have loved to get Talley Q/D but like I said it's low budget affair.
Shawn

In my search for new bases Talley was one of the few that listed Mossberg Patriot when I searched part# it said it was for Remington 700. So if they interchange that should open up different routes in the future.

Also interested in your report on the Mossberg Patriot!

In my search for new bases Talley was one of the few that listed Mossberg Patriot when I searched part# it said it was for Remington 700. So if they interchange that should open up different routes in the future.

Did your search include Warne? Warne's are on every rifle I own including a .375HH and a .458B&M. Talley makes a great product, but usually a bit more pricy than Warne.

The Talley were around $40.00 with shipping not bad and they will take them back if I'm not happy so I stopped looking when I came across them. Hoping to get them in time to shoot this weekend.

The Talley were around $40.00 with shipping not bad and they will take them back if I'm not happy so I stopped looking when I came across them. Hoping to get them in time to shoot this weekend.

Nope, that's not bad at all. They should work fine for you. I've not used Talley's but have never heard anything but good about them.

Did you order the Talley Steel or the lightweights. I tried a set of lightweights on my 375 and they wouldn't hold zero...the steel Talleys....no problem.

You may still experience some issues although definitely not that dramatic! I'd go for the steel rings personally.

It's a little late they're on their way if I have trouble I'll send them back and get steel. Live and learn.

i use Talley rings on almost all my rifles and love them.

-matt

Let us know how the new rings work out!

A secondary question after I removed the rings I put a set of high rings on the scope and was shouldering the rifle when I noticed that I did not have to move forward or backward to get a good sight picture in the scope so I ordered mounts that were as high as the set was testing with now I'm having second thoughts.
With the lower mounts I had to work to get good sight picture. I always tried to mount a scope as close to barrel as possible but the higher mounts felt natural. Did I make a mistake?

It's whatever feels right to you I think! I actually have both low rings on rifles with no forward sight and high ones on rifles with the forward sights.

I'm with you on mounting a scope as low as possible. BUT, the drop on the Comb & Heel of the stock comes into play So you're left with Charlie's comment, use whatever feels right & fits you .

in general you should use the lowest mounts possible. but as said, what ever you feel is best for you.

-matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marplot

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois