Sidearm when rifle hunting?

SRvet

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
A question for rifle hunters worldwide. How common is it to carry a sidearm (pistol or revolver) as well as a rifle when you are hunting? I have recently seen a few hunting videos where the PH had a handgun of some sort on their belt as well as a rifle in their hands and it has raised the question how common a practice this may be.

Like @shark_za has said I carry a 9mm sidearm for delivering a coup de grace of needed as well as personal protection. I think something like a 22lr revolver would be a better choice for finishing game safely.

500 S&W in a chest holster, rifle rides in a scabbard on the backpack when moving so the pistol protects me if I'm jumped by a bear or meth cooker.

You may also find people doing it in bear country just for backup, or, because they know they'll set their rifle down to go to the bathroom and that'll be the moment something decides to show up and harass them, handgun is easier to have on you at all times.

A question for rifle hunters worldwide. How common is it to carry a sidearm (pistol or revolver) as well as a rifle when you are hunting? I have recently seen a few hunting videos where the PH had a handgun of some sort on their belt as well as a rifle in their hands and it has raised the question how common a practice this may be.
Well I carry one always when bowhunting in the US( where legal) and carry one when using a rifle with limited capacity like my single shot. With hogs it’s a low percentage chance anything will happen but I have had to climb a tree before and don’t want to again. In Africa since others in the party are armed as well I have never felt the need to look into how to get one there and carry it.

My PH in SA carried a hand gun, for protection from delinquents/poachers. Also, everyone at the concession including the owner carried a hand gun. I asked why, and he said for the safety of his family and us. He was threaten by a poacher he caught and turned in. The poacher vouched to kill him and his family when he got out. After that, I carried extra ammo when we went out, just in case.

Note. At home, I always carry regardless if I'm hunting or not. :) Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. :)

Last edited:
Smith & Wesson Model 69 Combat Magnum, 44 mag, 5 shot, can't imagine a better sidearm for Africa.

I never carry a sidearm here when hunting with a rifle in the mountains for deer and elk. With a backpack AND a rifle that is enough weight for me. But, I ALWAYS carry my 10mm Glock in the woods/forests when I'm not carrying a rifle. That is more for a two legged predator(s) who might want to get stupid and try to "be somebody" for a day, rather than the four legged kind.

I typically carry a G19 (9mm) when deer or hog hunting.. never had to use it.. but if needed for a coup de grace.. or for the 2 legged animals that sometimes wander the woods in search of their dope grow, etc.. truth be told, I typically carry a G19 (or something else.. clothing dependant)... with me everywhere I go.. I just dont make an exception when deer or hog hunting.. :)

When in Alaska I keep a G20 (10mm) in a chest rig... again, never had to use it.. but for the potential "oh shit" moment when a big brown might decide he wants my deer more than I do (or wants me)..

In Africa, my PH always has a 9mm on his hip.. My understanding is it is both a coup de grace tool and a poacher/criminal tool if needed..

Here in Canuckistan you can’t hunt with or carry a handgun for any reason. You can only transport it to an approved range and straight home for target practice. Need a separate permit to take it to the gunsmith.
Thank you f¥€kin Libiturds!
Rant over.

Here in Canuckistan you can’t hunt with or carry a handgun for any reason. You can only transport it to an approved range and straight home for target practice. Need a separate permit to take it to the gunsmith.
Thank you f¥€kin Libiturds!
Rant over.

Can trappers still carry a .22 pistol?

The only time I carry a sidearm hunting is for finishing hogs when we hunt at night. On those hunts I carry a .22 revolver.

To me a handgun is convenient and/or concealable. It what I carry if I might need a gun but carrying a rifle is not appropriate. If I'm carrying a rifle, I don't bother carrying a handgun. I can't imagine me noticing something or someone dangerous before such a time that it/he has gotten so close that I cannot deploy by rifle but could still deploy my handgun.

That said, I could see it happening if following a wounded leopard where it could get on top of you before you knew what was happening and a handgun could be helpful. Unlikely enough scenario that I'll not put too much worry into it. Or as above, for finishing hogs if you are doing a volume shoot and might have a number of wounded that you'd rather shoot with a cheap 22 round than a rifle round. Perhaps as a PH or guide who is usually carrying a rifle but has situations where he needs his hands and access to a weapon at the same time, it may make sense to just keep a handgun on rather than only put it on when he puts his rifle down. But for regular hunt, I see no need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IXZAleisha

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!