Sidearm when rifle hunting?

In Arizona, South of Interstate 10, the Game & Fish department recommends you carry one for archery hunts (if not most hunts), so I started to about 15 years ago. I can’t carry one during bow season here in Kentucky, which still bothers me.

For a lot of you that live in a area here in the US where they say you are not allowed to pack a sidearm while archery or muzzle loader hunting, check into your concealed carry laws. That may be a way around it.

The only time that I pack a extra firearm when hunting is when I have my single shot Thompson Center Contender with me. Then I always have a pistol on my hip.

Other than that and in 60+ years of hunting I have never needed one.

Tounge in cheek rules of a "Gunfight", but a lot can be applied to hunting, especially Dangerous Game...

I've seen a lot of posts so far where people say they don't carry a sidearm. It's a personal choice, and rules/regulations come into play. I don't care what caliber/make/model is your preference. But, you only get one chance if things go wrong. Complacency kills.

"Gunfight"
Preferably, have at least two guns. Bring all of your friends who have guns. If you can choose what to bring to a gunfight, bring a long gun... and a friend with a long gun.

Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap; life is expensive. "Why did you shoot only once? There's no additional paperwork for shooting someone twice!"

Bring ammo. The right ammo. Lots of it. Only hits count. The only thing worse than a miss is a slow miss.

If your shooting stance is good, you're probably not moving fast enough or using cover correctly.

Proximity negates skill. Distance is your friend. (Lateral and diagonal movement are preferred.)

In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance or tactics. They will only remember who lived.

If you are not shooting, you should be communicating, reloading and running.

Accuracy is relative: most combat shooting standards will be more dependent on "pucker factor" than the inherent accuracy of the gun.

Use a gun that works every time. "All skill is in vain when an Angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket."

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Always cheat, always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose. "If you find yourself prepared for a fair fight, you didn't prepare properly."

The purpose of fighting is to win.

There is no possible victory in defense.

The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either.

The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

Have a plan. Have a back-up plan, because the first one won't work.

Use cover or concealment as much as possible. Know the difference between them.

Flank your adversary when possible. Protect your own flank.

Don't drop your guard.

Always perform a tactical reload and then threat scan 360 degrees.

Watch their hands. Hands kill. (In God we trust. Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them.)

Decide to be aggressive enough, quickly enough.

The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get.

Be polite. Be professional. But... have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Be courteous to everyone; friendly to no one.

Your number one option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.

Carry the same gun in the same place all the time.

Getting shot does not mean that you are out of the fight.

Here in NY, when younger I used to carry my (licensed) .357 Smith. After a few years I started wondering why I was carrying all the extra weight. Certainly my rifle (or shotgun) is up to any defence needs I would bump into, and I have dispatched many a deer with a simple shot to the base of the neck. I do occaissionally carry a small compact .22 pistol for targets of opportunity...rabbit, grouse, etc.

Around home hunting I always carry a 9mm i EDC but mostly for what I may find at my car when I get out of the woods.
mouth west I always carry a 10mm more for animal protection but luckily doubles for 2 legged issues as well

I always carry something extra. I pretty much hunt exclusively in the Teton Wilderness with a pretty thick grizzly population. I always hunt horse back, so a little extra weight is non issue.

I always carry something extra. I pretty much hunt exclusively in the Teton Wilderness with a pretty thick grizzly population. I always hunt horse back, so a little extra weight is non issue.

I elk hunted there a couple of years ago, saw grizzly signs most days, never saw a bear, but they were clearly around.

I elk hunted there a couple of years ago, saw grizzly signs most days, never saw a bear, but they were clearly around.
Where were you? Or better yet who did you hunt with? Then I will know where you were. Did you have any luck?

I carry all the time here at home and when driving anywhere. Traveling I do not pack a handgun. In South Africa every PH I have hunted with carried a handgun from the time picked up at airport till departed.

I carry a pistol when I hunt. It's mostly for the walk back to the truck in the dark. I use the rifle to finish off downed animals, if needed.

I have a .40 with 200 grain hardcast (Double Tap ammo) in a chest holster while hunting here at home in AK, irrespective of whatever rifle I am using.

Where were you? Or better yet who did you hunt with? Then I will know where you were. Did you have any luck?
I hunted with Trophy Mountain Outfitters. I took a nice 5X6 and had the chance at multiple shooters. I was there for the rifle opener and they were pretty hot in the rut, very good hunting. Saw moose several times and some nice mulies.

I hunted with Trophy Mountain Outfitters. I took a nice 5X6 and had the chance at multiple shooters. I was there for the rifle opener and they were pretty hot in the rut, very good hunting. Saw moose several times and some nice mulies.
Oh….. you went with Dustin. He lives the next town down from me. He is known for some nice mulies. Congrats on the elk!

I have a .40 with 200 grain hardcast (Double Tap ammo) in a chest holster while hunting here at home in AK, irrespective of whatever rifle I am using.
+1 on the .40 Double Tap 200gr hardcast. Next best thing I carry besides 220gr 10mm. I often carry the .40 when camping in snake country, because I can load both snake shot and the hardcasts for a possible encounter with a black bear or mountain lion. My brother in laws place has all three. I called CCI a couple of years ago and was told they had no plans to manufacture 10mm snake loads. As popular as the 10mm has become, I’m wondering why as they even make 9mm snake shot?

Snake shot is easy to load if you are a reloader. A case, primer, powder, shot, piece of cardboard, and a gas check is all you need.

I was dissatisfied with the .357 and .44 CCI shotshell so I started to load my own

I carry daily, typically a 9mm or .45 cap, that goes for woods work as well, in which most of my days are spent, at my camp and house and when out berry pickingI carry a .45 saa hot loaded, I find it comforting.

Snake shot is easy to load if you are a reloader. A case, primer, powder, shot, piece of cardboard, and a gas check is all you need.

I was dissatisfied with the .357 and .44 CCI shotshell so I started to load my own
A number of years back, my hunting buddy loaded up some #6 loads for his .357 for spruce grouse as CCI had nothing larger than #8 or 9. When he fired the first shot, the plastic cap got stuck in his barrel and he had to have a gunsmith remove it. After hearing that I’ve been reluctant to try it. Maybe the cardboard covering the shot would be the way to go?

I place a piece of cardboard that I have punched out over the powder charge and then use a gascheck over the shot. Then place a light crimp to hold it all together.

For any of the 10mm's I'd just make sure that the gascheck was a tight fit since they headspace on the case mouth.

I've even loaded up a couple of round balls into my 44 mag with a slight crimp on the ball that is on top. I tried 3 round balls but that didn't work too well.

I carry daily, typically a 9mm or .45 cap, that goes for woods work as well, in which most of my days are spent, at my camp and house and when out berry pickingI carry a .45 saa hot loaded, I find it comforting.
Buffalo Bore has 255gr hard casts for the .45ACP. I have loaded those in my Glock 21 and carried it often in the woods before I got my Glock 10mm. What I didn’t know before I read BB’s technical article on their website, is that hard cast bullets are “slicker” (less friction) than copper bullets and thus more velocity with a heavier bullet can be obtained.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
profibrahim

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you